Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: United States Submarines destroyed a total of 1,314 Japanese ships during World War II, including one battleship, eight aircraft carriers, fifteen cruisers, forty-two destroyers, and twenty-three submarines. Against this score, fifty-two U.S. Submarines were lost.
Some time ago,
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-09 11:58 AM (#19466)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Some time ago,

months, maybe even years,,,someone on the board posted a beautiful picture of the Battle Flag of the USS Sterlet (SS-392). I did print out a copy, and will scan it if I have to, but when scans are scaned, something is lost in the translation...so if whoever it was, would please post that picture once again, I would be most obliged.

I have tried to find this picture on the Internet, and although "Sterlet" and "Battle Flag" do come up together, there are only pictures of the flags of other boats, so I can't find it there.

Please?

Cora
Dantini
Posted 2008-09-09 2:11 PM (#19472 - in reply to #19466)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Some time ago,

Cora,

Check out this web site.  They have two versions of the sterlet's Battle flag:

http://usssterlet.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02

Dan

Lee Davenport
Posted 2008-09-13 11:22 AM (#19598 - in reply to #19466)
Crew

I went to that site. I found it very interesting, except for one thing. The photo labeled as a barracks for pre-com crews at PNSY is actually the old enlisted sub school building in New London....The one I went through for 8 weeks in 1952....
Lee Davenport
Posted 2008-09-13 11:24 AM (#19599 - in reply to #19466)
Crew

Mess Cook?? I haven't done that in many, many years unless you consider that washing my own dishes and cleaning house counts..
PaulR
Posted 2008-09-13 1:12 PM (#19602 - in reply to #19598)

Master and Commander

MANY, MANY Sub School Graduation photos were taken in front of that pile of rocks.  I agree, it's not Portsmouth
PaulR
Posted 2008-09-13 1:18 PM (#19603 - in reply to #19472)

Master and Commander

Dantini - 2008-09-09 5:11 PM

Cora,

Check out this web site.  They have two versions of the sterlet's Battle flag:

http://usssterlet.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02

Dan

Same thing with Sea Robin.  But one of them was a 'commemorative' flag, reduced in size and replicated for each crew member. 

The details are similar to the original, but obviously not the same.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-13 9:36 PM (#19607 - in reply to #19598)

COMSUBBBS

I found at least two other mistakes on that site. Whoever put it together didn't pay much attention to detail. It tends to be misleading

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-14 10:11 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-13 9:38 PM (#19608 - in reply to #19598)

COMSUBBBS

I found at least two other mistakes on that site. Whoever put it together didn't pay much attention to detail. It tends to be misleading.

Cora

hiccup!

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-13 9:43 PM
Skii
Posted 2008-09-14 7:47 AM (#19618 - in reply to #19466)

Great Sage of the Sea

The www.usssterlet.com website is done by input from some 950 crew members - the contents are from memories of up to 64 years. I am sure you call can understand that after that many years mistakes or recollections can easily be made. When the web site was developed all submissions had a clarification statement saying if any information is erroneous contact rjarenski@aol.com and it would be immediately corrected. There is also an email page on the web site to contact the Association which is there for all to submit any comments or ask any questions to us.

In deference to all those that have submitted voluntarily this data for all to view on the web site
www.usssterlet.com nothing is or meant to be MISLEADING just history of many fine crews and shipmates.

Please send any corrections of names, places, crew members dates and after verification of the information data a change will happily be made to the web site.

We gladly share our information with many submarine and non submarine web sites that is not confidetial such as crew members, dates served, eternal patrol members etc.

Dick Jarenski
Commander/Secretary
USS STERLET (SS392) Association
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-14 5:58 PM (#19642 - in reply to #19618)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: What I noticed, Ski -

- was that it should have been Lt. W.R. Wright who received the Silver Star, not Captain Lewis Lewis wasn't even in command of the Sterlet when that incident happened. Also, I believe the battle that was depicted by the painting was in the 4th War Patrol, not the 3rd. Both these facts were in Lt. Wright's book. I sent you your first copy of that book; the one you hastened to have copywrited for the benefit of the Sterlet Association. Remember?

And someone else noticed that the site where a picture was taken was incorrect. People tend to believe facts when they are presented on a web site, so I feel that attention to detail is important.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-14 6:30 PM
Skii
Posted 2008-09-14 6:31 PM (#19644 - in reply to #19466)

Great Sage of the Sea

All I have to say Cora is STUFF IT - your criticism is not appreciated as many of the USS STERLET 9SS392) CREW SUBMITTED THOSE PICS - the battle is the original IR LLOYD GIVEN BY GUNNERS MATE BOB BARKER RIGHT FROM HIS SCRAPBOOK - tell him he needs to pay more attention to detail as well as the LLoyd family whnse battle picture you are talking about -

I just hope all will enjoy looking at the www.usssterlet.com web site without a critical word as it takes a lot to do that many pages and albums and none of us ARE `100%accurate - if we were we would be writing books..

Your criticism of my fine crews input is NOT APPRECIATED - SO STUFF IT

Dick Jarensaki
Commander USS STERLET SS392 Association

Yes since you were trying to GET TO ME you SUCCEEDED
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-14 7:50 PM (#19649 - in reply to #19644)

COMSUBBBS

What happened to, "Please send any corrections, etc."? Bob Barker knows when that battle took place.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-14 7:55 PM
Skii
Posted 2008-09-14 8:16 PM (#19650 - in reply to #19466)

Great Sage of the Sea

Copra STUFF IT stop insulting all the crew of the Sterlet that put t hat album together - g take your battle of wits to non submarine family members - you and your TWIT COMMENTS are just demeaning a web site that is not done by one person but it is done by over 900 -

Go write your book and be infamous -- your criticism of a wonderful web site because of a few techical errors written by crew members now in their latre 70's and 80's is really quite a tribute to your mentality.

Most people here do not even kow what you are talking about and after being on the internet for over two years for you no to bring your PETTY BEEF WITH ME and involving the BBS is about as absurd as some of the other issues you have confronted the BBS with.

Why don't you write to someone who really cares what historical kowledge you have now consumed and want to pass on with your cynical comments.

I really don't spend my time going back and correctng every input into the Sterlet website except correct Name Ranks Serial numbers and next of kin -- Photo comments would be nice to do if we had a staff of 1,000 but since we dont't what they send gets put into the Photo Album sectin of the web site. Now if things on the History page are wrong that is different.

So Please BUTTON YOUR LIP ABOUT MY PROUD 790 AND 80 YEAR OLDS THAT SEND OUR WEB SITE THEIR RECOLLECTIONS.

Again I diddto my STUFF IT CORA REMARK

sKI
Skii
Posted 2008-09-14 8:23 PM (#19651 - in reply to #19466)

Great Sage of the Sea

For all those that run or have web sites - sure hope you don't have to get criticism in this manner.

For all the time it takes, all the history to get for them, you sure don't need a vindictive person like
this to critique what you do.

I will not send this to the 900 plus members on our e mail list - RM3C(SS) Elmer "Dakota Slim" Olmstead's shipmates nor my crew that continue to send us input to the web site need to know that this type of verbage is out there.

None of them are or want to be PERFECT HISTORIANS - just proud crew members

Did I say STUFF IT CORA -

hmmm I guess I just did

Ski
Skii
Posted 2008-09-14 9:07 PM (#19654 - in reply to #19466)

Great Sage of the Sea

Just got a text message from the Marine Recruiters about someone that knows it all in Rapid City SD
spreading MISLEADING AND INACCURATE comments about them last summer - they did not put a name to it but just said they thought her comments WERE VERY VERY MISLEADING but then again
she was not a Historian just a BLABBER MOUTH.

Some were even quite unpatriotic and anti American and Military -- hmm don't think web sites can ever go that far. Think you shoud go baCK TO WRITING YOUR BOOK CORA - make sure everytrthing in it is accurate and authentic.... what goes around comes around

ski
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software