Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Warshot on Eternal Patrol
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

docbeeghly
Posted 2008-09-13 5:31 AM (#19589 - in reply to #19555)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Warshot on Eternal Patrol

Fair winds and following seas shipmate.
hand salute.
The beagle doc.
Smiley
Posted 2008-09-13 6:06 AM (#19592 - in reply to #19555)
Great Sage of the Sea

I am still in shock. I have read so many posts and tributes to Ron and I think how fortunite it is that we all had the Honor to know this wonderful man.. Some of us Had the Honor in person and many of us had the honor thru this amazing tool we call the internet and wonderful sandboxes like this Don's and Rontini's and where I first meet Warshot on Ray Stone's BBS.
Not since the days when my Dad was still alive did I have a living WW 2 hero that I could actually talk and or argue with much like I did with Dad. A hero who I could relate to because we had one common tread and that was our beloved "SS" designation. I will cherish his memory forever and every time I return to one of his books to read for the umpteenth time I will feel his presence.
I will truly miss you Mr Smith.. Thank you for the priviledge of letting me know you and the legacy you have left to remind us all how fortunite we are.

God's Speed and Following Seas Shipmate!
Until we all meet again on that distant shore!

Walt Magnavice
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-09-13 7:37 AM (#19594 - in reply to #19555)
Master and Commander

This is sad news. My empathy goes out to his family, friends, and shipmates.

Stoops
Posted 2008-09-13 9:42 AM (#19595 - in reply to #19555)
Master and Commander

I met Ron in 1995 or 96 when I joined the Tritonbase. We worked together on the Seawolf Model in his garage, worked with Gil, Ron, Big John Fredricks, Neal Stevens, The Ator Family, Doc Beeghly, Myron Howard, and others on getting the Cavalla Restoration Committee and the Cavalla Historical Foundations put together, along with the Rally in 1998 where we had folks from all over the country come down.

Ron was and is a WWII hero and joined the Navy as soon as he was allowed to after the war started. It was men like them that played a significant part of the defeat of Japan. Thank God for heros like Warshot.

Warshot had many good traits, but I think the one that stood out most was his fierce loyalty to friends and shipmates. He never held a grudge and was always ready to help anyone in need.

I feel honored to have know Ron and am fortunate I had the chance to talk with him in Ft. Worth where I had him sign Depths of Courage.

My heart goes out to his family and I will keep them in my prayers.

Thank you, Ron for your sacrifices and service in protection of this great country of ours.
Stoops
Posted 2008-09-13 9:42 AM (#19596 - in reply to #19555)
Master and Commander

I met Ron in 1995 or 96 when I joined the Tritonbase. We worked together on the Seawolf Model in his garage, worked with Gil, Ron, Big John Fredricks, Neal Stevens, The Ator Family, Doc Beeghly, Myron Howard, and others on getting the Cavalla Restoration Committee and the Cavalla Historical Foundations put together, along with the Rally in 1998 where we had folks from all over the country come down.

Ron was and is a WWII hero and joined the Navy as soon as he was allowed to after the war started. It was men like them that played a significant part of the defeat of Japan. Thank God for heros like Warshot.

Warshot had many good traits, but I think the one that stood out most was his fierce loyalty to friends and shipmates. He never held a grudge and was always ready to help anyone in need.

I feel honored to have know Ron and am fortunate I had the chance to talk with him in Ft. Worth where I had him sign Depths of Courage.

My heart goes out to his family and I will keep them in my prayers.

Thank you, Ron for your sacrifices and service in protection of this great country of ours.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-09-13 4:31 PM (#19604 - in reply to #19595)

Master and Commander

Subject: Warshot, Stoops and I...

....enjoying a meal, spinning Warries, and ducking for cover with incoming muffins! lol

A great time in the life of Blue from West Oz meeting one of USA's hero's.....a treasured memory.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1165583190029391582ibQJik

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-13 6:36 PM (#19605 - in reply to #19555)
COMSUBBBS

Dog gone Blue, it looks like Warshot was the only one having a good time. He was probably showing you two how it's done.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-09-14 12:12 AM (#19610 - in reply to #19564)

Great Sage of the Sea

I remember an episode of "The Twilight Zone" like that.

A good one, and a fitting tribute to our Shipmate Ron.

I'll bet Cowboy and Zeke were waiting for him at the Pearly Gates.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-09-14 12:15 AM (#19614 - in reply to #19564)

Great Sage of the Sea

I remember an episode of "The Twilight Zone" like that.

A good one, and a fitting tribute to our Shipmate Ron.

I'll bet Cowboy and Zeke were waiting for him at the Pearly Gates.

Hairball
Posted 2008-09-15 8:10 AM (#19661 - in reply to #19555)
Senior Crew

I received an email yesterday telling me about Warshot’s going on Eternal Patrol and it hit me hard. About 4 years ago I was attempting my Cyber-Quals on the Balao Class Boat and he, along with some great guys, helped me a lot, in fact his was the first sig on my card. In time we began writing to each other and one day he sent me an email with a pic of him, in uniform, when he was . It came as a great surprise that we looked like each other at that tender age and it was because of this we began to call each other, “Cousin,” or, “Cous,” for short. At the end of one email he called me, “Shipmate,” and that was the finest compliment I have EVER had in my life. I don’t know what Boat he’s serving on now, but I am very sure it’s the best in God’s fleet.

Respectfully submitted, Hairball.
iPOD
Posted 2008-09-16 5:04 PM (#19707 - in reply to #19555)

Master and Commander

Godspeed Warshot!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software