Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Alright gentlemen up and at it...Rub-a-Dub Dub, let's scrub up the F***ing sub!" - Garnett Curtis, COB, USS Phoenix
Beagle doc checking in
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

docbeeghly
Posted 2008-09-15 6:16 AM (#19659)
Senior Crew

Subject: Beagle doc checking in

just got a partial report on the damage from hurricane IKE to our home in Galveston. Three car garage , dodge van, lawn tractor etc are either gone or scattered all over the neighborhood. the side walls of the woodworking shop and living quarters under the house along with all associated contents have been washed away and scattered around the neighborhood. Damage to our living area which is up 12 feet on pilings and contents there-of are unknown at this time but looks pretty mech intact, I dont know the integrity of the roof, may have some leakage but will have to wait till we can get back to the Houston-Galveston area. We have a local fireman who has a house on our street that we get occasional reports of conditions from. Just waiting here in Corpus Christi at my daughters till we get word that we can return to Houston and Galveston to starting to camp out for a few weeks, as it will take that long before we get power, water etc. available.
The good LORD is watching over us.
the beagle doc
sister5lp
Posted 2008-09-15 12:40 PM (#19668 - in reply to #19659)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Beagle doc checking in

Beagle doc, good to hear the family is ok. Things can be replaced (usually).
Ric
Posted 2008-09-15 1:05 PM (#19669 - in reply to #19659)

Plankowner

That is "good" news Doc. I was just talking with Denisse and telling her I still hadn't heard how you fared. Good to know the place is still standing.

Ric
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-15 2:29 PM (#19674 - in reply to #19659)
COMSUBBBS

The Beagle Dr is too tough to let a little wind blow him away and with the water----- well, if there isn't any soap in it he's safe. ))))))ping(((((( :~))))))
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-09-15 10:24 PM (#19690 - in reply to #19674)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2008-09-15 9:29 PM

The Beagle Dr is too tough to let a little wind blow him away and with the water----- well, if there isn't any soap in it he's safe. ))))))ping(((((( :~))))))

It isn't the water he's worried about, it's his stash of scotch that has him in a tizzy!
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-09-15 11:54 PM (#19691 - in reply to #19659)

COMSUBBBS

Glad to hear that you and Tam are OK...things can be replaced...YOU CAN'T!!!

Take care...you are in our prayers.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-17 12:32 AM (#19709 - in reply to #19659)

COMSUBBBS

Patti, You must not know Doc that well....with all the time Doc spent on the other side of the "long green", on restriction and riding around handcuffed to the seat in a Shore Patrol paddy-wagon, the Secretary of the Navy frequently considered replacing him with a battery operated mechanical monkey. There's a rumor around...actually one being spread by Ray Stone, that at the time of Doc's discharge he held the Navy's East Coast record for time on restriction and consistently naughty behavior. Patti, Simply consider this...How many people do you know whose reputation is so--ooooo bad that they have to go halfway around the world to find a bride who'll mary them?...Who beside me'n the Beagle Doc? Doc, I sincerely hope that everything works out OK for you and your lovely bride...Sometime, over a couple of cold ones, you will have to explain to an old stupid Tennessee stump jumper, why in the hell you folks keep going back for repeated doses of misery and destruction. It's like a drunk sleeping on the railroad tracks and getting runover by a Santa Fe diesel from time to time. But Hey, nobody said you had to have the IQ of Albert Eienstein to crawl into a damn smokeboat....that wuzza nook requirement. I think the diesel boat requirement was to be able to fasten ten of your thirteen bellbottom flap buttons when hauling a load and find your white hat when leaving an establishment of horizontal carnal refit. Take care Doc...and Patti, there are people out here who know for a fact that Doc could be replaced by a one-legged rooster...also the going rate for me and Ray Stone. DEX
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-09-17 8:02 AM (#19715 - in reply to #19659)
Senior Crew

Just to answer Dex's question about why I keep going back to or staying on a hurricane alley island, Since 1981 when I first came to Galveston to be close to my children, and having nothing but the posessions I could carry in a Datsun pickup. I purchased a cheap 35 foot trailer which I lived in till 1983 and after surviving hurricane Alisha I bought a cheap fishing shack, some yard maintenance equipment and started my own small business, all on credit. The business paid off all my credit and enough left over to add on and rebuild my fishing shack into a three bedroom HOME in 1985. Retired completely in 1999 and now living on Navy pension and social security (and wifes paycheck untill her shop got washed away by IKE) ( not many wanting manacure or pedicures in Galveston now). before 1981 the longest time I ever lived in one place was 18 years while I was growing up. Now after 27 years this is the only home I know, except my 22 year navy career, and my extended Navy family.
I now am putting a strain on my daughters families. and giving my credit card a workout. I know that insurance will eventially cover the big expenses, but there will be many things they do not cover.
As of today the island has no electricity, water, sewer, phone etc. service and may be weeks before the island is habitable. Now you ask why do I stay here, where else would I go? the east U>S has the same problems I have, The midwest has tornados and flooding, the west coast has forest fires, rains and mudslides.
anyone want to adopt me?
the beagle doc
Ric
Posted 2008-09-17 8:44 AM (#19719 - in reply to #19715)

Plankowner

... the west coast has forest fires, rains and mudslides.
anyone want to adopt me?
the beagle doc

You must be thinking of California. Here in the Puget Sound area we have mild summers and mild winters. We do have some rain but less than many parts of the country. There are some fires but that is mostly in the eastern side of the state. The slides are due to over population and poor planning commissions and few and far between. This is Gods Country! But, where would I stay when I visit Cavalla, so you better stay there.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-09-17 9:35 AM (#19720 - in reply to #19709)

COMSUBBBS

Let's put it this way...NONE OF YOU CAN BE REPLACED...nope, no soft soap...just plain fact...each of you, in your own inimitable way...has given something to each one of us...and each other...the "Joy of Friendship"...despite your own human frailties...and that just says VOLUMES!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-17 9:50 AM (#19721 - in reply to #19659)
COMSUBBBS

Dog-gone, Patti, what sort of meds did that Dr put you on??????? You know there are a few worthless old bastards around here. Why just the other day you emailed me and said I was the devil. :~))))))))))))))
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-09-17 10:09 AM (#19722 - in reply to #19721)

COMSUBBBS

WHO ME (giggle, giggle)??? OK...I won't "let on" what a bunch of huggy bears you all are...and "spoil" the reps you have all built for yourselves...but it STILL doesn't mean you can be replaced...BECAUSE YOU CAN'T...so put that in your proverbial pipe...PHEWWWWW!!! (I gotta find me an emoticon that can do that)...oh brother, now I've reverted back to childhood...gotta stop takin them "happy pills"...need to keep my own rep going...

BACK TO THE CAVE WITH YOU WOMAN!!!
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-09-17 12:45 PM (#19724 - in reply to #19715)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey, Doc!

RE: West Coast - You forgot the occasional earthquakes!

I have a cousin in Houston. He was not in the mandatory evacuation zone, and didn't have "much" damage to his house, but it was still a rough ride for his family. He is sending us updates through his mother in Florida.

Glad you have family to stay with until you can get back home.

Ric
Posted 2008-09-17 1:54 PM (#19727 - in reply to #19724)

Plankowner

RE: West Coast - You forgot the occasional earthquakes!

Yeah, you get one every 5 or 6 years that you can feel, every 10 to 20 that are real earth movers. In living here all my life with the exception of the Navy I can right now only remember about 4 that stick in my mind in 62 years and only one of those was really bad, 1949!
The Brat
Posted 2008-09-17 4:50 PM (#19730 - in reply to #19659)

Crew

I adopted you years ago...or maybe that should be you adopted me? I've offered before and the offer still stands, you are more than welcome to come stay in North Texas with me and my family if you need to. Of course, we do get the occasional tornado, but that only seems to happen when we are away from home!
We have a nice 5th wheel out back that we got for Collin complete with running water and electricity, but for some reason (I'm thinking big screen TV) he prefers the couch in my living room. Our door is ALWAYS open to you, Tam and the pups!!!

Have you heard anything out of Dave and Terri?
Ric
Posted 2008-09-17 9:56 PM (#19736 - in reply to #19730)

Plankowner

I talked to Dave this afternoon. He was back at his place. Terri has gone to stay with family in NY state. Dave is without power except for a hookup to a gen set from a neighbors to power his fridge and freezer. Light damage. Cooking on a Colman stove.

Ric
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-09-17 10:04 PM (#19737 - in reply to #19736)

Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks Ric for the meaningful updates on our shipmates in the storms path. I have a deep concern for their welfare too.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting your Flasher shipmate at the COD! It was most interesting to observe a "nuke" give a DBF docent tour! Fritz is fine folks!!! What a pleasure that trip turned out to be... [I was offline for about five days. Thanks for getting the photo string started.] I'm still playing catch up...
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-18 4:15 AM (#19740 - in reply to #19659)

COMSUBBBS

Hey Doc, I now understand...more power to you. In 1959, while I was in the Navy, I came home on a 72...I Dad was hauling a heavy package of Jim Beam and knocked an ashtray containing a live butt that lit off the contents of the wastebasket, that in turn lit off the curtains and in ten minutes our entire house was reduced to NOTHING above grade, all my childhood memories, Boy Scout stuff, sports trophies, letter sweater, six rifles, to include my lever action Marlin that I loved....everything...baseball card collection...yearbooks...Margie Dotson's panties tacked up over the door that she put there...all litterally up in smoke. When I arrived the old man was sitting in a lawn chair pouring drinks from a smokey bottle of hooch. I was returning from a date. "Jeezus Dad, What the hell happened?" "I burned the place down." "My God, everything's gone." "Son, I got out OK, Damn Cat got out OK (The cat was named Damn Cat), you're OK and your sister in college is OK...The rest really doesn't matter...Major house fires are God's way of tell you you've collected to much stuff." I have always remembered that. In the final analysis the only really valuable things in life, are people. Wealth can only be measured by the real estate you occupy in the hearts of others. Doc, that makes you one rich sonuvabitch. DEX
PaulR
Posted 2008-09-19 6:09 AM (#19748 - in reply to #19659)

Master and Commander

Doc, I have a shipmate that "I think" lives on 27th St. across from Menard Park.  I've not tracked him down yet and was wondering how that area fared?

Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by PaulR 2008-09-19 6:18 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software