Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Three wives of Presidents of the United States have sponsored submarines. Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower christened the USS NAUTILUS, Mrs. John F. Kennedy christened the USS LAFAYETTE and Mrs. Hillary Clinton christened the USS Columbia SSN771 in 1995.
Warshot, and Arlington Ceremony
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-16 7:08 AM (#19693)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Warshot, and Arlington Ceremony

Yesterday, I met with the folks at Arlington and afterwards had a lengthy conversation with Georgeanna(sp?). Then I drove to the Post Office and mailed all the information and instructions gathered at the Administration Building in Arlington National Cemetery to Ron's family in Texas. After, my late bride's memorial service Ron told me that Arlinton was where he wanted to be, when his time came. We agreed that if he went first, I would make sure to handle everything on this end and take whatever concern and complication out of the process I could. Having been through this two and a half years ago, I have my qual card completed and signed off on. What I would like, is for all of Ron's shipmates, friends, literary fans and others to try to attend once we have firmed up the plans and scheduled the memorial service. There are few things in life that give one the satisfaction than honoring a promise to a dear friend. Change of subject. Doris is doing fine. Chemo has reduced tumor size to about half of what it was originally, lympth nodes appear clear and no evidence of cell migration and colonization in other organs. However, we're dealing with hair loss, digestive problems, dizziness, the green apple quick steps and drastic loss of energy. She will eventually lose most of her right breast, but it doesn't appear that we're talking funeral home at this time. I take her to chemo, take her for testing, shots, and get to watch her toss her cookies...none of which are, in the words of Julie Andrews,"some of my favorite things." But as they say,"Ya gotta do whatz ya gotta do." DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-09-16 7:18 AM (#19694 - in reply to #19693)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Warshot, and Arlington Ceremony

Dex, you are indeed a friend in need. Good on ya mate for your efforts, I am sure they are appreciated by those that matter the most.
Would love to be there for Warshot's Ceremony, but unfortunately, that ain't going to happen.
Having been to Arlington Cemetary twice now, I understand what an honour it is to be buried there and what a fitting place for him to be laid to rest.

Good on ya mate

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-16 7:30 AM (#19695 - in reply to #19693)
COMSUBBBS

I can't add any more than what Blue has stated. Pass the word when the date is set and we'll be headed that way.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-09-16 8:03 AM (#19697 - in reply to #19693)

Great Sage of the Sea

same for me as well...I'll be there if I can..

Edited by Jim M. 2008-09-16 8:03 AM
Darrin
Posted 2008-09-16 9:31 AM (#19700 - in reply to #19693)

Great Sage of the Sea

God willing I will be there also, just give us the time and date and I will take leave if necessary. Thank you Dex for taking care of Ron's final wish, good on ya shipmate.

Darrin
Skii
Posted 2008-09-16 9:47 AM (#19701 - in reply to #19693)

Great Sage of the Sea

Great job dex on living up to the creed "Last Man Standing" in our submarine family. Somehow Warhot knew that he asked the right friend to fulfill his wishes and you were there for him.

I have added Doris to my prayer bank and hope she recovers with minimal pain and gets over the need for that dreaded "Chemo".

I know you have more work to do to complete Ron's journey on eternal patrol and wish you well in all the planning and posting you have to do.

Ski

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-16 11:35 AM (#19705 - in reply to #19693)

COMSUBBBS

Gentlemen, Warshot, the magnificent rascal, flew in from Texas to help us honor Solveig...There were folks there whose faces are indelibly imprinted in my memory including John Wynn and Joe Roche who drove a helluva long way. I still remember Ron telling me that he wanted to rest in the same location as Solveig...(Not that being near Solveig was the reason, it was the serenity of the place coupled with the dignity and being a special piece of real estate in hallowed ground...I gave my word and that's cast in stone.). It will be great to have you all there. He rates a great turnout...he gave us so much and served so many years as the "enlisted man's ambassador to the submarine community"...the duty curmudeon, unhousebroken rapscallion and lovable character. I already miss him. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-17 12:03 AM (#19708 - in reply to #19693)

COMSUBBBS

Spoke with Ray Stone today. Georgianna told me on the phone the other evening that she would be honored to have all of Ron's friends attend his service in Arlington. I will post information as received and and details. For those of you who are members of USSVI, it has been customary in the past to wear SubVets vests and the overseas cap. Veteran's of ANY branch of the armed forces are encouraged to render the hand salute as appropriate, either in uniform or attired in civilian clothing (this has been authorized by Congressional legislation and signed into law.). Suggested dress, dark trou, white shirt, tie, vest and overseas cap...In my conversation with Ray, aka Olgoat, we discussed how to round-up all of Ron's shipmates and friends. I will post plans as they are formulated. Knowing Ron, and how loved and respected the old rapscallion was, the gathering will in all likelyhood look like a viking sendoff to Valhallah....an assembly of scarred, barnacle encrusted, tattered around the edges old devils....who've breathed air through a snorkle, heard the groan of steel at depth...and danced the saltwater fandango with the Goddess of the Main Induction. Men who shared the common bond with Ron of Silver Dolphins, sailors bars, wonderful women who took us in like puppies from the pound and the honor of national service. One of the nice things about resting in the National Cemetery at Arlington is its' proximity to Washington D.C., so that as you visit your nation's capital, those of you who are so inclined can go to the visitor's center to get directions and a required car pass and pay your respects. There is no more well maintained, meticulously groomed memorial cemetary than Arlinhgton...It is a lovely place to visit no matter what season....rolling hills, majestic trees, ancient oaks and the stark white rows of geometrically perfectly placed headstones. No place on earth speaks to HONOR and DIGNITY better than Arlington. It stands as a silent statement that will ALWAYS honor the dedication and sacrifice of the fine men and women who selflessly served this nation. Thanks DEX
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-09-17 3:07 PM (#19728 - in reply to #19693)
Old Salt

Great Job Dex!!! It's good to hear Ron will be among comrades. Bravo Zulu!!!

Also good to hear about Doris. Sounds like she can make a full recovery.
Steve
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-09-17 6:16 PM (#19732 - in reply to #19693)

Old Salt

Im gonna try like hell to be there.
nancy
Posted 2008-09-21 12:41 PM (#19822 - in reply to #19732)

Old Salt

BRAVO, Dex, am absolutely certain Ron appreciates what you're doing for him, and for both his biological and submarine families.

FYI: In 2004, waiting time for Arlington burial was six months due to current war, loss of WWII vets. As I understood at the time, the Ladies of Arlington wouldn't budget on time frame. Thus, my brother was buried at Ft. Rosecrans but, then, only because a spot opened up the day before the funeral in San Diego. Rosecrans also has a waiting list.

Nancy

Edited by nancy 2008-09-21 12:43 PM
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-09-21 6:43 PM (#19843 - in reply to #19693)

Great Sage of the Sea

I don't plan on taking up any dry land after I'm gone. But if I was going to, Fort Rosecrans would be my choice. It is one of the most beautiful National cemeteries I've ever seen.

BB
nancy
Posted 2008-09-21 8:08 PM (#19847 - in reply to #19843)

Old Salt

BlackBeard: Me, neither, re taking up space. Obit, all details written, in safe as well in son's hands. Just added legacy gift of eye sight. Used to be Ohio driver's licenses carried this info. No more. So have atttached document to back of driver's license, given copy to son. Chosing cremation took me a very long time. Some ashes with my parents, some secret.

Yes, Rosecrans at Pt. Loma absolutely beautiful; as I recall from several visits some headstones go back to Civil War. Near my brother's is an Army soldier/Iraq, a Navy WWII nurse from near by our hometown.

As an aside, late brother hadn't designated burial location; widow said they didn't believe in cremation. Brother's son, Army Major Mark, traveled 23 hours from Iraq to Louisville, had just six weeks to handle all details, visit loved ones before returning to duty. So, six month wait for Arlington not an option.

We got kinda giddy one night: Mark and I thought having father/brother cremated, ashes stashed inside his beloved Tomahawk, launched from beloved submarine at sea would be so very appropriate.

Reminder: So important that each of us puts in writing our obit (include names of boats), wishes for any memorial donations, safely store, give copy to our designated executor. All of mine done except for music at casual memorial gathering.

How about your's?

PS: Haven't meant to take away from deep respect for Warshot, family. Simply felt need to discuss the above. 

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-21 9:23 PM (#19850 - in reply to #19693)

COMSUBBBS

My experiences with the staff at Arlington have been entirely different. My latest service planning was in January of 2006, the wonderful people in Arlington gave me a number of available dates from which to select the one closest to conforming with family wishes. They made the Navy chaplain aware of my choice and we discussed details of Solveig's memorial service by phone and firmed up the entire service. The Ladies of Arlington, God Bless them, couldn't have been more gracious, accommodating and helpful. These people take their solemn duty very, very seriously and do a fantastic job. I admittedly know absolutely nothing about Point Loma, but even knowing nothing, I can tell you that no final resting place on earth matches or exceeds Arlington National Cemetary for honor, dignity and grace. No location holds the remains of more presidents, prominent military leaders, historical figures and troops who sacrificed themselves in defense of this nation. Arlington stands alone as the premier National Cemetary of the nation and holds the Tombs of the Unknowns, Arlington House, the Kennedy's and National Ampatheater. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO IMPLIES THAT THE PEOPLE AT ARLINGTON ARE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE MOST ACCOMMODATING, SYMPATHETIC, HELPFUL, CARING and DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN BENDING OVER BACKWARD TO DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT...To my knowledge nobody experiences delay based on any criteria other than to honor present day returning war dead, because of the established pipeline procedure...and the need to clear the "warehouses" at Dover AFB in Delaware, where boxes of returning remains are housed for safekeeping and to be claimed by family.. Before you buy the stories of others, talk directly to the folks at Arlington...They can be reached at; Office of the Superintendent, Arlington National Cemetary, Arlington, Virginia...Phone; (703) 695-3250. I have assisted out-of-town friends, shipmates and family to plan and execute over a dozen services at Arlington and can tell you first hand, the people who care for the funeral details are head-and-shoulders over whoever occupies second place and are terrific. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE. DEX
nancy
Posted 2008-09-21 10:17 PM (#19852 - in reply to #19850)

Old Salt

DEX: Absolutely no dispute whatsover with your previous experience, with any comparison between Arlington and Rosecrans; simply shared my previous experience and communications with the wonderful Ladies of Arlington for its oversight, enforcing burial policy.

As you probably know: no matter who, what, where, when, why and how -- submariners like "Warshot" have my deepest respect and gratitude.

USS Grunion: I'll be at Cod Base on Oct. 11 when the famiies of 70 Grunion crew members will gather to remember these submariners who, in 1942, paid the ultimate sacrifice in defending our freedom. I'll take along an extra carnation to toss in the water in memory of "Warshot."  Lake Erie does flow to the Atlantic and beyond.

Nancy

Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-22 10:53 AM (#19867 - in reply to #19852)

COMSUBBBS

I have been to Arlington. It is all that Dex sys it is.

I have also toured the National Cemetery at Gettysburg. I took a picture of this marker set low in the lawn there:
"Rest on embalmed and sainted dead,
Dear as the Blood ye gave.
No impious footstep here shall tread
The herbage of your grave."

Has anyone here been to Punchbowl on Oahu? Another lovely, peaceful national cemetery. Ernie Pyle is one of the notables buried there. He was more than a journalist. He was also a veteran.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-09-22 10:57 AM
RCK
Posted 2008-09-22 11:13 AM (#19868 - in reply to #19867)
Master and Commander

I visited all of them sometime ago. I saw Ernie Pyle's grave in the Punch bowl. I lived only a few blocks from there on Nuuanu street. I had the good fortune to visit alot of Civil War sites when I was stationed at Andrews AFB after my Navy hitch, and I also visited Arlington cemetary. I was there to see my son when he was a member of the "Old Guard".
Ric
Posted 2008-09-22 11:42 AM (#19869 - in reply to #19867)

Plankowner

I have been top punch bowl in 1967 or 1968. they were burying the dead from Viet Nam, when I was there. A truly lovely place to spend eternity.

Ric
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-22 12:08 PM (#19871 - in reply to #19693)
COMSUBBBS

Every time I've been to Arlington it has rained. The last time, earlier this year, I visited there with Blue, Daniel, Kathy and her Son Tim along with my tribe, it rained and felt like it was going to snow. That is to be expected though when you go anywhere with Blue.
Ric
Posted 2008-09-22 12:14 PM (#19872 - in reply to #19871)

Plankowner

Ir rains in Seattle but you should have seen it piss down when he was here.

nancy
Posted 2008-09-23 7:57 PM (#19946 - in reply to #19693)

Old Salt

Dex: Not sure where to post this Ron "Warshot" Smith story from Ray's After Battery Rat. It's about R&R, Midway, 1943.

http://www.olgoat.com/substuff/warshot01.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software