Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They also serve those who only stand and wait" - Eleanor Rickover, quoting Milton's "On His Blindness"
HELP NEEDED!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply    Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

jggirl29
Posted 2008-09-18 4:49 AM (#19741)
Quote Reply
Subject: HELP NEEDED!

Hello to all.
After many hours of web surfing I came across this site (which seems to be one of the few apparent web sites with a forum - for the nav/marines). Anyways to the point. I am from Australia and need help/pointers in retrieving personnel listings in the navy in World War II within the USA.. The story goes my dad was adopted by another man and his biological mother, but never knew of his fathers whereabout/details. I have limited information to work with but am finding it hard to even find name listings on enrolled men in the navy in this period. I need help!! The information I have is a surname, he wouldve been posted or staying in NSW (Australia) in 1944, he was associated with the USS Swordfish 193 submarine, and was possibly a tender/corpsman for the sub. If anyone has any ideas for me please write back to this forum or send me any vital info to my email - jessieg29@hotmail.com
Thanks.
crystal
Posted 2008-09-18 5:14 AM (#19742 - in reply to #19741)
Quote Reply

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: HELP NEEDED!

For Ship’s Histories and Photo Information try:

Naval Historical Center LY

Washington Naval Yard

Washington, D.C. 20374-5060

For photos only:

Photo Library

U.S. Naval Institute

118 Maryland Ave

Annapolis, MD 21402-5035

410-268-6110

NARA

Still Picture Branch

301-713-6625

Ships Plans

NARA

Cartographic and Archive Branch

301-713-7030

For Ship’s Logs, Muster Rolls try:

Archives II

Reference Branch

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park, MD 20740-6001

301-713-7250

email: inquire@arch2.nara.gov

National Personnel Records Center

Military Personnel Records

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

phone 314-263-3901 (Switchboard)

314-538-4261 (Army)

DSN 639-3901

http://www.nara.gov/regional/stlouis.html

For deck logs from July 1945 through 1961, write to:

National Archives

Suitland Reference Branch (NNRR-M)

Washington, D.C. 20409

For deck logs from July 1962 through the present, write to:

Naval Historical Center (DL)

Washington Navy Yard

901 M Street S.E.

Washington, D.C. 20374-5060

You might call the reference archivist in the Operational Branch of the National Archives at the old Washington Navy Yard. Ask them for "anything on your boat?" Their numbers are 1(202) 433-3170 or 3171.

For war patrol reports of the submarines: www.usssealion.com

Hope some of this helps you and any other researchers out there!

Ric
Posted 2008-09-18 7:05 AM (#19743 - in reply to #19741)
Quote Reply

Plankowner

The possibility that he was lost when the USS Swordfish SS 193 was sunk on January 12, 1945 might mean he would be listed on the last muster for her. He could be listed here: http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/uss-swordfish-193.htm

If he was associated with a Tender that took care of the submarines you might try here to see what tender was assigned to the NSW area of operations and try her muster rolls for the archives: http://www.tendertale.com/

Hope you have luck with your search.

Ric
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-09-18 9:54 AM (#19744 - in reply to #19741)
Quote Reply

COMSUBBBS

First off, Jess...WELCOME ABOARD...as another NQP (non-qualified person), you have come to the right place in seeking out info. As you can see by the return posts...the gentlemen, and I use that term loosely(oh, just smile guys)
and ladies here, can be a great source and wealth of information for you. These denizens of the deep have more tricks up their sleeves than you can count on two hands. Their own knowledge (without benefit of reference) is unfathomable...and they will NOT steer you wrong. The sources they have given you, are just the tip of the iceberg...because those sources can lead to so many more that you might need.

So, having said that, keep us posted on your progress. I, too, have taken on a search, for family records...and can tell you first hand, that what they know and the resources at their disposal, is beyond anything I would have known.

Once you get to know these "denizens", they will grown on you...we even have few from your lovely country.

So, again, welcome aboard.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software