Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Blenny SS 324, on her last patrol of WW II sank 63 vessels. One by torpedo and 62 by deck gunfire, demolition charges set by boarding parties or by burning. On several occasions shotguns were fired through the boats bottoms. These were all vessels under the 500 ton JANAC limit for tonnage sunk and not counted in the "official" totals or ships sunk. This is also a record for the most vessels ever sunk by a submarine on one patrol.
Definition of retired military
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-09-20 12:13 PM (#19785)
Master and Commander

Subject: Definition of retired military

Is there a official definition of "retired military"?

I ask because, I read news articles that say " he retired from the military after 8 years to pursue a civilian career" ; or a members only insurance company that insures "retired military" but seems to accept anyone who served on active duty even for only 6 years.

I would consider anyone who claims to be retired to have served long enough to receive a pension. Otherwise, I do not consider them retired military.

And, how does the title US Navy (Retired) fit in this question?

In the unofficial sense, we are all retired from the navy because the simple definition of retired is: to withdraw from an activity

Ric
Posted 2008-09-20 12:44 PM (#19786 - in reply to #19785)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Definition of retired military

I don't consider myself retired. I had one tour of 4 years 5 days active duty and then the remaining two years, less 5 days, active reserves. People ask me if I retired or when I retired and I explain that I didn't retire I just performed my 6 year obligation.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-09-20 2:22 PM (#19787 - in reply to #19785)

Great Sage of the Sea

I'm confused about my status. I was 4 years into a 6 active obligation and had already filled out my Guard-3 papers to re-up. I was then separated due to a service connected medical problem. When it finally degenerated to 100% I received a USN ID for commissary/exchange/base privileges. One of the YN's told me I was now considered Medically retired. Yet my ID card is not pink, it is tan like a dependents. I never claim to be retired when asked, But I feel funny flashing a dependents card at the exchange (at my age...)

BB
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-09-20 2:42 PM (#19788 - in reply to #19785)

Master and Commander

Subject: My Definition of retired military...

...is someone who has completed 20 years Service as they are therefore in receipt of a pension, thus, 'Retired Military'.

That by the way is not a put down to anyone who did less than 20 years Service, just......'my definition'.

Blue *_*
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-09-20 3:11 PM (#19790 - in reply to #19788)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: My Definition of retired military...

I haven't tried a Google or Wikipedia check for their version of a definition. But my straight two cents says that one may be called 'retired military' if they are no longer on active duty and are drawing a continuing military stipend due to a career ending physical disability or the satisfactory completion of the required longevity to continue receipt of pay. I was transferred to the Navy retired list in a permanent pay grade based on years of service in 1973. If you aren't drawing money, you aren't retired. Of course this has absolutely nothing to do with what the MSM may call it [what ever 'is' 'is']...
crystal
Posted 2008-09-20 5:30 PM (#19792 - in reply to #19785)

Master and Commander

I have to weigh in here too - I've heard so many guys say that they were retired military and in their case (mostly) they got out on a medical (including some we don't talk about).  Why would this guy be the same as we that did the 20+ and were honorably discharged?  (Beats the crapola out of me!)...

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-09-20 8:35 PM (#19799 - in reply to #19785)

Great Sage of the Sea

I agree John, that's why I never claim to be 'retired.' To me, retired Navy means you put your time in -- 20 or more. Now if you got out after 17 or so because of medical, I'd give them the nod because they were already career designated and fate sucks.
Same reason I turned down being designated an 'Honorary Chief'. It was offered after several years of helping out with activities for our local CPO Club. The CMC offered to put my name up but I refused saying that "Chief is earned through years on watch, and no way else." I had several Chiefs come up to me over the next few weeks and thank me for respecting their anchors.

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-09-20 8:43 PM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-09-21 2:25 AM (#19805 - in reply to #19792)

Master and Commander

crystal - 2008-09-20 6:30 PM

I have to weigh in here too - I've heard so many guys say that they were retired military and in their case (mostly) they got out on a medical (including some we don't talk about).  Why would this guy be the same as we that did the 20+ and were honorably discharged?  (Beats the crapola out of me!)...

Chief:
One of my closest friends (recently deceased) was Medically Retired due to suffering multiple wounds as a Corpsman in Viet Nam. He did less the 4 years active duty in the Navy and less than 2 months in country in Viet Nam when a .50 Cal ended his military career. He drew military retirement pay from the Navy to the day he died. In my mind he was the equal of anyone retired from the military for whatever reason. It was not his choice to leave the Navy; it was the circumstances.

Ric
Posted 2008-09-21 7:23 AM (#19809 - in reply to #19805)

Plankowner

Doc
I agree on that. I have two friends that were severely wounded in Nam. One lost his left leg to the hip the other ½ his right buttock. Both were medically retired from Army and Marines respectively. These men gave major body parts for their country. I begrudge them nothing and they earned the right to their retirement pensions and base privileges. I know what they, medically, go through every day because of their service.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-21 9:06 AM (#19813 - in reply to #19785)
COMSUBBBS

Doc, Ric in my mind these guys that gave their bodies and minds while serving do rank a retirement more so than some dufus that "rode the vents" for 20+ years. These retired people that thump themselves on their chests about having served 20 years or so don't deserve the sweat off these others. Some of these 20+ year retirees would have a brown ring around their noses if their Division Officer, CO happened to stop walking suddenly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software