Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
We Made It Okay
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Chainfall
Posted 2008-09-21 3:39 PM (#19831)
Mess cooking

Subject: We Made It Okay

Ike as a General and President was pretty much okay in my book, but as a hurricane, Ike slid into the Holy Mackerel Column. We're looking at daylight through our roof where a super-huge pine tree was stripped and snapped off and poked it's nose in or business making only a three-foot hole in our roof knocking down a beam a few inches. That same tree took out a car port bending the metal poles and metal roof into a V-shape instead of us. Some of you have visited this old place and might remember this rental for the last almost two decades. Two car ports, the other totaled out twice by hurricanes now. My car was under the other wooden one, and completely untouched but pinned. That other metal one that ended up like a pretzel had a pickup trunk belonging to our place's maintenance guy was relatively untouched as well. 100 MPH sustained winds and what happened to all the splintered trees around all of us had to be tornadic which happens a lot with hurricanes that spawn them like twisting a knife in your back. Anyone that knows me or Jeannie personally know that we're not exactly the wimp types that cower and chew our nails in fright. When that tree poked in for a look-see, we were both sound asleep. :-)

We lost power for about a week. Two nights ago I began Cloroxing our Reefer and Freezer explaining to Jeannie that I had to hurry so they'd be dried out for the power that "I knew" would be back on before Midnight last night. Power was back on 2330 last night. For most of that time power was out, a cold front settled in and Jeannie's heart could handle it okay. Her blood pressure was acting like a roller-coaster. Yesterday was hot though, and she went on bottled oxygen in the house while I had her place ice-water on her forehead with a tiny battery-operated fan. She was okay enough to hit the rack as I stayed on watch knowing that somehow that power would be on before midnight playing Solitaire by my Coleman's. It was predicted that maybe the power might be on sometime today. Up came the lights, and I ran 80/90 and flipped on the AC waking Jeanie who had to turn on her light to make sure I wasn't just blowing smoke. I've been doing laundry ever since. Taking ice-cold showers on a continuing basis was a tiny price to pay knowing that others had no water whatsoever, and all too many people lost everything.

The extent of the devastation down here is still shunned by the so-called News Media. We've had entire communities wiped out along with those that chose to ride it out as we did. Riding this out was not the choice of sophomoric bravado. The Gustov Hurricane mandatory evacuation left a lot of us penny less, and this one had the "authorities" ordering us to to evacuate North - right along the projected path of Ike with no information on destinations or any assigned facilities that might have food sustainable for heart patients or diabetics. These are some of the real reasons many of us chose to ride this one out, and I'll bet not one reporter will ever mention any of this, but yak away about the "fool hardy" that elected to remain without adequate food and water stores. How could most? That last evacuation was merely a week and half ago, and a lot of folks had no money left to purchase that five days of stuff so smugly pointed out by the "authorities". So we're on really short rations until the first of next month. Sort of a strange way to go on a diet, but it sure works. LOL!!!

Sitting in really long lines for water and ice and other foods burns up expensive gasoline along with a lot of temper control being used down here (something I'm really proud to report happens). Please NOTE that nobody smashed in windows during Gustov or Ike stealing things like TV's and other things like the New Orleans bums that get all the continuing TV coverage. Think about that. A lot. Everyone helps out others here where and whenever possible without sitting on thumbs waiting for Government junk all that much, and have been doing a lot of sharing - when allowed to do so while keeping an eye on curfew clocks. Looting has been held really down all over with only a hundred being arrested in Houston (fourth largest city in the U.S.) Not bad stats.

Someone keeps looking over our shoulders, and being on a lot of prayer lists means a lot to us. Thank you.

John & Jeannie Przybyla, Navy Chief and a Good Navy Wife

John Bay
Posted 2008-09-21 4:09 PM (#19832 - in reply to #19831)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: We Made It Okay

Glad it went as well or better than could be expected.. Hang in there!
iPOD
Posted 2008-09-21 4:12 PM (#19833 - in reply to #19831)

Master and Commander

Great news Mate hope all continues to go well!
Stoops
Posted 2008-09-21 4:43 PM (#19834 - in reply to #19831)
Master and Commander

good to see you are persevering. You have electricity, gas, and water? Besides food, what else do you need? I'm supposed to do a survey in Beaumont next week, but don't know if the plant will let us in or not...It was down in the ExxonMobil area and I imagine it took on some water. Not even sure if the local office there escaped damage....they are off 287....

Hug Jeannie for me.

Oh, BTW did your landlord get in touch with the Corps of Engineers? They'll put the blue tarp on the roof for a temp. fix. Request has to be done by the property owner though.....

Edited by Stoops 2008-09-21 5:24 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-21 5:02 PM (#19835 - in reply to #19831)
COMSUBBBS

Good on ya, mate. We're glad you're getting a grip on things there.
Ric
Posted 2008-09-21 5:17 PM (#19837 - in reply to #19831)

Plankowner

John, good to see your post. I was thinking it was time I called you again to see what was going on. How is Jeannie's Oxygen holding out? How about her meds? Call me if you need stuff.

Take care shipmate and give Jeannie a hug from me.

Ric
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-09-21 5:52 PM (#19839 - in reply to #19837)

Master and Commander

Ric:
I sent you a private message.
Jon
steamboat
Posted 2008-09-21 6:55 PM (#19845 - in reply to #19831)
Master and Commander

I been worried about Ya'll. we were getting reports from everyone else down there except Ya'll. Good to hear things are looking up! I know what you mean about the media. They only want to dwell on the crisis of the day. Ike is old news now, so it doesn't exist. I just hope that with all the money going to Wall Street and Iraq, that ther is some left to take care of those really in need. We will see.
Hang in ther, Chief. If I can be of any help, let me know.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software