Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: More decorations for valor have been awarded, per man, to the submarine service than any other Navy Branch.
Closing Yankee Stadium/NSR
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-09-21 6:52 PM (#19844)
Master and Commander

Subject: Closing Yankee Stadium/NSR

The last game is being played in the "Stadium that Ruth Built." Yankee Stadium is where Ruth hit the first homer there on the day the stadium opened. The new stadium is a few blocks away but the history of the ball park is forever. Ruth,Berra,Dimagio, Mays, Maris, Mantle and so many others too numerous to name made the place almost into a church.
GaryKC
Posted 2008-09-21 9:10 PM (#19849 - in reply to #19844)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Closing Yankee Stadium/NSR

Growing up in Detroit and learning to love baseball listening to the Tigers on AM radio, I learned to hate the Yankees early and often. Later, living in Kansas City didn't help, the Royals/Yankees post season AL Championship series of the 1970's and 1980's were downright heart wrenching. All that said, the first moment I saw her up close, walked thru her busy turnstiles and sat in one of her seats....something in my heart changed. Every time I went to Yankee Stadium was electric, it's sounds and smells, it's history and players were still there....everywhere. I consider myself very lucky to have had the experience of visiting the house that Ruth built. I will forever hate the Yankees, but being in their house and watching George Brett hit two homers in one game was a special treat. Goodbye old girl.

Edited by GaryKC 2008-09-21 9:32 PM
Flapper
Posted 2008-09-21 10:55 PM (#19854 - in reply to #19849)

Master and Commander

Subject: Hear! Hear! Well said!

'The house that Ruth built' has a ring like a well-tuned bell, doesn't it?
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-09-22 1:32 AM (#19857 - in reply to #19844)
Master and Commander

I'm glad the new stadium is close by. I would hate for all the pick pockets, Car break in artists and general extortionists to have to comute to their new feeding grounds. Even in the sixties, you went to a game there with several friends. I doubt it has gotten any better. I still remember a guy wanting $5 to make sure no one scratches the paint on a friend's car.
RCK
Posted 2008-09-22 7:53 AM (#19860 - in reply to #19857)
Master and Commander

Hey Walt, hope you win the lottey and you become a bizzilionaire ......or your laxative works.....which ever come first
PaulR
Posted 2008-09-22 10:34 AM (#19866 - in reply to #19860)

Master and Commander

RCK - 2008-09-22 10:53 AMHey Walt, hope you win the lottey and you become a bizzilionaire ......or your laxative works.....which ever come first

I'll make a contribution for the latter.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-09-22 1:28 PM (#19877 - in reply to #19844)
Master and Commander

Now you really didn't expect a Brooklyn Boy from the fifties to have anything good to say about the Yankees, did you? Ralph, as long as I use the Hydrocodone APAP 7.5-750 in moderation, I don't need the laxative. However, every now and again it helps, so forward a goodly supply please. If you can spare it.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-22 1:35 PM (#19879 - in reply to #19844)
COMSUBBBS

Ah Walt, that was Robert King that buzzed you about the laxative. I've got enough to deal with these old worn out CPO's that seem to be full of it.
Know what I mean, Vern?
steamboat
Posted 2008-09-22 6:50 PM (#19897 - in reply to #19844)
Master and Commander

The last game is being played in the "Stadium that Ruth Built."
Hey, we live in a throw away society, don't we? We throw away school buildings, courthouses, sport stadiums and.... now, entire banking systems. Not to worry though , the Gummit will build us a new one!!! Its the American way!
Steamboat sends
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-22 10:51 PM (#19901 - in reply to #19877)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Moderation is the key word, I guess...

....because Hudrocodone IS constipating.

Cora
Smiley
Posted 2008-09-23 7:12 PM (#19943 - in reply to #19844)
Great Sage of the Sea

I've been there twice My first time and my last time..
I'm a life long BoSox Fan and to me it's always been a house of pain.. The worse manored fans in the world.and the biggest front runner fans in the league..
And Walt has nailed it on the head.. Good riddance.. What class eh?? Not even a mention of or an invite to Joe Torre the best Manager they have had in decades. I'm not surprised.
Oh and as I type the Sox are in the post season again.. Time for a toast

Edited by Smiley 2008-09-23 7:16 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software