Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Arlington National Cemetery, Mythbusting
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-22 1:52 PM (#19880)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Arlington National Cemetery, Mythbusting

This should not be necessary, but I feel compelled to state at the outset, anything construed as a politically motivated statement in this piece was not intended. First there is no other National Cemetary in this country that remotely compares with Arlington. It is, in the minds of many of us, the premier military cemetary in the world. It is visited annually by kings, queens, generals, admirals, noted and famous people, other royalty, champions of industry and societies lowest and marginal. It is the honored resting place of Presidents, Distinguished military leaders...It contains the copnfiscated home of Robert E. Lee, the Tombs of the Unknowns, the forw'rd mast of the USS MAINE, the graves of the Kennedy's, Audie Murphy and row upon row of white official headstones representing devotion, dedication and sacrifice of this nations patriotic sons and daughter, to include those who gave the "last full measure of devotion" standing up against tyrany and the expressed enemies of this fair land. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING NEGATIVE YOU HEAR EXPRESSED BY THE WITHOUT A CLUE EXPERTS ON THE OPERATING STANDARDS OF ARLINGTON. The staff at Arlington is nothing short of the finest, most professional, sympathetic, procedurally competent indivioduals that can be found anywhere. Most of the folks involved in intrment, service scheduling, service composition and honor guard assignment feel as if what they do is one step shoty of answering a religious call. I have been involved in over a dozen Arlington interments and have NEVER found ANYTHING that could remotely compare to anything objectionable. The funeral planners are human beings. One of the characteristics of human beings is that they occasionally make unintended mistakes. The personnel at Arlington are no exception...but mistakes are extremely rare and there are not enough of them to be considered a part of the way business is conducted at Arlington. It is an honor...a distinct honor to rest at Arlington with the nation's finest..the brave, the devoted and dedicated, the Volunteers....the men and women who served the land of their birth and with the devotion found in true patriots. I know absolutely nothing about Point Loma....except for one thing, no matter how wonderful it is, the best it can come in, is second to my beloved Arlington. Before you buy any of the negative horsemanure being peddled by those that represent themselves as Arlington Cemetary Experts, phone this number, I am giving you. Phone: Information on grave location (703) 607-8000, information on interments (703) 607-8585 Or write to Superintendent, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia 22211-5003.....These people will work with you. Except for returning was dead, nobody takes prescedence over ANY other veteran. War dead return via a sequential location pipeline and when their shipping container arrives at Dover AFB in Delaware, they are turned over to their next of kin and get expedited service at Arlington. I BELIEVE (not positive, bet-the-ranch sure) that there is finite warehouse space at Dover and there is emphasis on clearing space as fast as possible to accommodate new arrivals. I am also a member of the Tomb Guards American Legion Post 44 and that allows me to get questions answered much faster. My dearest rests inh Arlington and many posters here (to include the recently departed Ron Smith) attended her services. Ladies and Gentlemen...There is and always will be, one Arlington. DEX
Gil Shaddock
Posted 2008-09-22 4:48 PM (#19890 - in reply to #19880)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Arlington National Cemetery, Mythbusting

"AMEN" Dex. My "Sweetheart" is buried in Arlington also.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-22 5:26 PM (#19895 - in reply to #19880)
COMSUBBBS

I don't really think anyone was saying one was better than another. It seemed to me Shipmates were discribing how nice other ones are. Arlington is the most famous one and so it would be the largest and probably the most formal. For me, the sea bouy, 2 Charlie, will do just fine.
There will be a large turnout for Warshot's burial, so, give us an advance heads-up, if possible, so we can make travel plans. Maybe we could do a celebration of Warshot's life while we are all gathered.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-09-22 5:27 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-22 8:34 PM (#19899 - in reply to #19880)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, In an earlier post, someone intimated that they had experienced sheduling complications and months of delay before their veteran could be burried at Arlington. I was not familier with anything of that nature that I had experienced in dealing with the wonderful people I have dealt with over the years. I phoned my contact at the scheduling office and read the post. The polite lady said, whatever polite ladies say that is the boatsailor equivalent of bulls**t. She was unfamilier with anyone suffering unreasonable delay and went on to say that some people request delay (I did with Solveig's sevice,,,needed the time). She also indicated that because of religious requirements in the Jewish faith rapid interment is carried out...and at times delay is requested to allow time for travel arrangements to be made to allow entire families to be present.) The personnel at Arlington bend over backward to accommodate EVERY families needs, requirements and reasonable wishes. Ralph, I love Arlington and the staff that looks upon their role as a religious obligation. I don't want any myth, misconception or cock-and-bull story to sully the wonderful unvarnished reputation of the nation's premier hallowed ground. DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-23 9:11 AM (#19913 - in reply to #19880)
COMSUBBBS

I can truly understand that, Dex. However, in every thing dealing with people there comes a little glitch now and again. Quite often it gets blown out of proportion and then the he said, that she said, that he said begins.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-09-23 3:27 PM (#19933 - in reply to #19880)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph. You are guilty of one of the major things wrong with this nation...looking for extremely rare ecxeptions to point out flaws in everything. I have dealt with Arli9ngton Cemetary damn near all my life...Yes the Virgin Mary may have had a run in her panty hose once or twice...but she was still the Virgin Mary and people in recognition of that fact overlooked the run and left it out of the Bible...in recognition of the wonder of the greater whole. Same with Arlington, why revel in exception at the expense of truly wonderful dedicated people who devote their lives to comforting the families of our national war dead. While you. Ralph are enjoying your day there are wonderful men and women holding and comforting women and children and telling them to be proud of their lost service member...They are witnessing first hand at intimate range the cost in human suffering made necessary i8n the defense of the nation. Why dwell on the exception rather than the wonder of the totality. You should be ashamed. The coat of any one of the Ladies of Arlington has soaked up more tears of berieved survivors of military families than it would take to float a nuke boat. I could not honor them more...Thank you for pointing out their falability. Very few people who have benefitted from their gentle embrace...who have benefitted from the quiet, dignified efficiency and professional competence, would never have said what you pointed out. In a while, ask Georgianna what she thought of the honor paid her Warshot....By the way, when did you observe these human failures? I have had many dealings with these absolutely selfless angels and can't remember a flaw. Here folks is the injection of another false impression of Arlington..the planted seed of another myth. I will defend the folks at Arlington with my dying breath. DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-23 4:27 PM (#19938 - in reply to #19880)
COMSUBBBS

Whoa there horsefly!!!! I have not belittled anything about Arlington or the people that are dedicated to working there. What I am saying is when dealing with people there are times when things don't go exactly as planned. None of us can walk on water. Some may think they can but usually others can see right through them.
whalen
Posted 2008-09-23 4:28 PM (#19939 - in reply to #19880)

Great Sage of the Sea

"Yeah, Ralph!  Take that, you communist!"

"Attaboy DEX, let 'em have it!"

Smiley
Posted 2008-09-23 7:28 PM (#19944 - in reply to #19880)
Great Sage of the Sea

ANC is a wonderful place and they do a great job there. I too have family there. But having visited a few American Cemetery's in France with my Dad back in the 70s I have to say they are a little more overwhelming .. to me anyway.. as well as it was to Dad who had several Buddys buried in France..
I agree with Ralph on my final resting place.. 10 miles Nor East of Bell 8 in Long Island Sound ( The Race ) is fine for me. Or Carr Inlet out in Puget Sound would work too.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-09-24 5:47 AM (#19948 - in reply to #19880)
COMSUBBBS

I caught your drift, Bill, even though many have been trying to calculate it for years. :~))

If Dex had read my post correctly he would have noticed that I wasn't saying anything wrong about the ladies at Arlington. My post was directed toward the people doing the complaining. So, I'm not one bit ashamed. I'm just sympathetic for Dex having been a lowly torpedoman E-3 and his emotions getting the better of him. :~))) No hard feelings here! *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software