Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: When the nuclear powered submarine USS SEADRAGON surfaced at the North Pole while charting the Northwest passage in August 1960, the crew organized a baseball game. Because of Polar time differences, when a batter clouted a home run it would land in either the next day or in 'yesterday'.
She cut me off more than once...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2008-09-30 10:26 AM (#20083)
Plankowner

Subject: She cut me off more than once...

- (The Day)
New London - Marion Dipersio Reed of New London, went to her eternal rest on Sept. 27, 2008. She was born in New Haven on Oct. 28, 1928. She was married to the late Henry R. Reed, Sr.
The only child of the late Cecelia Barone DePersio and the late Anthony DePersio, Marion was one of the first business women in Groton. She began her business career in 1958, when she purchased Elfie's Café, an establishment that is across the street from the EB shipyard and which is world famous within the submarine community. She later acquired three more businesses in Groton, The Porthole Café, the Café Delmar and the Villa Roma. Marion retired in 2005. Her daughter, Laurie Pollard, together with her husband John, owns Elfie's Café. Her son, Henry, owns the former Porthole Café, now known as the Side Pocket.
Marion is survived by two daughters, Laurie Reed Pollard of Gales Ferry and Charlene Dexter of Groton; her son, Henry R. Reed, Jr. and his fiancé, Debbie Whipple of Groton.
One son, Alfred Ravenscroft Reed and one daughter, Linda Celia Reed, predeceased her.
She is also survived by five grandchildren, Ryan Pollard, Tyler Pollard and Cameron Pollard all of Gales Ferry, Dawn Dexter-Logan and her husband, Dan of Groton and Melissa Rowan and her husband, Justin of North Fort Myers, Fla. One grandchild, Brett Reed predeceased her.
She is also survived by her long-time loving friend, companion, and the love of her life of 42 years, Jack "Nellie" Nelson, who helped oversee the operation of her businesses and has been invaluable in assisting her during her recent illnesses. She was also assisted, in good times and bad, by her loyal friends of 67 years, Margaret and Doc Perry who have lived with her for many years.
It was the wish of Marion that the following people, who helped brighten her life be mentioned, her cousins Robert and Theresa DiPersio, her dear friends Rita Scelza, Peggy Ellal, Robert and Dorcus Perry, Patrick and Sue Perry and Stephanie Belser.
A funeral service will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoon at the Byles-Groton Memorial Home, 310 Thames St., Interment will be in Smith Lake Cemetery. A visiting hour will be from 1:30 p.m. until the time of the service.
Please visit www.byles.com for an online obituary, directions or to send a condolence note to the family.
crystal
Posted 2008-09-30 5:13 PM (#20086 - in reply to #20083)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: She cut me off more than once...

Damn, I basically lived in that place in the mid 60's... Played a mean game of shuffleboard (south wall)... Remember seeing the bar tenders get ready for the EB lunch break, they would line up scores of shot glasses and schooners of beer ahead of time, whistle blew and it was pure chaos - the honor system (?) prevailed... Looking back now I can see where EB might have had production problems back in the day!  Thanks for the flash back Pig, can't say I was ever 86'd (only 'cause I can't remember - LOL...
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-09-30 5:28 PM (#20087 - in reply to #20083)

Master and Commander

That is a real shame to lose a boat sailors institution. I'd bet good money Crystal and I must have actually met there in the mid 60s. That's when the 599 was during overhaul and Elfies was a common watering hole. The place didn't do too bad when the 4PM whistle blew either. We had both skippers there for a few drinks right after a change of command. One of the MMs paid the waitress $5 to drop tongue in the parting skippers ear. He just about fell off the chair. The rest of us almost puked we laughed so hard. Yup, that place has memories.
PaulR
Posted 2008-09-30 6:02 PM (#20089 - in reply to #20086)

Master and Commander

crystal - 2008-09-30 8:13 PMDamn, I basically lived in that place in the mid 60's... Played a mean game of shuffleboard (south wall)... Remember seeing the bar tenders get ready for the EB lunch break, they would line up scores of shot glasses and schooners of beer ahead of time, whistle blew and it was pure chaos - the honor system (?) prevailed... Looking back now I can see where EB might have had production problems back in the day!  Thanks for the flash back Pig, can't say I was ever 86'd (only 'cause I can't remember - LOL...

I agree.  You had to witness the action in order to believe it.

I stood in the corner in amazement and later when the lunch break was over watched the owners sweep up the money using brooms and dust pans.  I don't know how many years this went on, but I saw it around 1966-66 or so.
Curt
Posted 2008-10-01 1:29 AM (#20092 - in reply to #20083)

Old Salt

Damn.

Tossed out more than once...
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-10-01 6:13 AM (#20095 - in reply to #20083)

Great Sage of the Sea

I liked the sign over the door "Through These Doors Pass The Best People In The World... Submariners"
During Nuc School, Class 59-1, I rented a house on Fred Avenue at the top of the hill next to Elfies. Never had to worry about a DUI..... a 3 minute walk.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software