Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: John Philip Holland built several submarines before the USS Holland, which became the first undersea craft commissioned by the U.S. Navy. The Holland was purchased on April 11, 1900 for a price of $150,000. It was commissioned into the US Navy on October 12, 1900.
Albacore site
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-10-02 7:56 AM (#20113)

Admin

Subject: Albacore site

New to me... nicely done and well worth a visit: http://www.ussalbacore.org/
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-10-02 11:05 AM (#20120 - in reply to #20113)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Albacore site

You're right, Don, it's an excellent sight.
snakeyez
Posted 2008-10-02 11:45 AM (#20122 - in reply to #20113)

Senior Crew

*cough* http://www.submarinemuseums.org/ *cough*

I've listed all the "official" websites for the submarine museums there. The forum lists even more websites, official and unofficial. Even the Marlin has a website, sorta.

Have you looked over the newly renovated websites for the Silversides and the Drum? It's crazy to think back 20 years ago when the internet didn't really exist yet.

It's great to see people voluntarily put up and maintain many of these websites. You know that a website is rarely static.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-10-02 11:55 AM (#20123 - in reply to #20113)

Great Sage of the Sea

Don Gentry - 2008-10-02 7:56 AM

Except...they don't mention -

(albacore_bookcvr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments albacore_bookcvr.jpg (11KB - 608 downloads)
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-10-02 2:32 PM (#20129 - in reply to #20113)

Master and Commander

Don Gentry - 2008-10-02 8:56 AM

Thanks Don; I enjoyed the site and it raised a question for me.
I know Albacore was the prototype hull design for Skipjack class and those that followed and I was surprised to see that it did not have sail planes. I also know, as a qualified Skipjack sailor, that we were the first nuke with sail planes. My question is:
what is the first boat (any propulsion system) with sail planes? Was Skipjack first in that category overall?
I wish I could remember half the stuff I've forgotten.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-10-02 2:33 PM
Flapper
Posted 2008-10-02 3:10 PM (#20131 - in reply to #20129)

Master and Commander

Subject: First sail planes on any boat ...

Doc Gardner - 2008-10-02 3:32 PM
{SNIP}
 I also know, as a qualified Skipjack sailor, that we were the first nuke with sail planes. My question is:what is the first boat (any propulsion system) with sail planes? Was Skipjack first in that category overall?I wish I could remember half the stuff I've forgotten.

Perhaps a B-girl was first? They were commissioned with bow planes, but converted to sail planes later in their career. Just not sure whether that conversion predated Skipjack.

Then there are the rest of the world's navies ... I suppose there is some possibility someone like the Frogs tried it first.

Edited by Flapper 2008-10-02 3:14 PM
John Bay
Posted 2008-10-02 3:20 PM (#20132 - in reply to #20113)
Old Salt

The Visitors Center and Albacore Park are both well worth visiting. The museum has a lot of ships placques on the walls (both of mine are there) and other items of interest re subs and places in the Portsmouth area.

The boat is self touring, and it offers a lot of great spots for bubbleheads to sit and swap true tales of adventure from their past deeds aboard the steel fish...
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-10-04 1:25 PM (#20162 - in reply to #20131)

Master and Commander

Subject: Answer supplied by Jim Christley

Flapper - 2008-10-02 4:10 PM

Doc Gardner - 2008-10-02 3:32 PM
{SNIP}
 I also know, as a qualified Skipjack sailor, that we were the first nuke with sail planes. My question is:what is the first boat (any propulsion system) with sail planes? Was Skipjack first in that category overall?I wish I could remember half the stuff I've forgotten.

Perhaps a B-girl was first? They were commissioned with bow planes, but converted to sail planes later in their career. Just not sure whether that conversion predated Skipjack.

Then there are the rest of the world's navies ... I suppose there is some possibility someone like the Frogs tried it first.

Doc

To the best of my information, the US Navy pioneered the use of fairwater planes. Skipjack was not only the first nuc to carry fairwater planes, but was the first sub to have them. Barbel (SS-580) which was commissioned earlier in the same year had bow planes at commissioning.

Jim

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software