Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first diesel engines built by Electric Boat for submarines were installed (1913) in the USS NAUTILUS and SEAWOLF, namesakes of the first nuclear powered submarines, also built by Electric Boat.
For land Lubber & Dex -
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-10 4:26 PM (#20293)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For land Lubber & Dex -

Thanks for asking about my sister. She's not doing well at all. It seems that her equilibruim is gone, and she keeps falling. Although I understand that they have her in diapers now, she keeps getting up to go to the bathroom at night, and falls. Recently she hit her head and opened an almost-healed wound that she had suffered earlier. Apparently, Doris is now wheelchair-ridden. Damn!!

I talked to 'someone' at the nursing home yesterday, and I got pretty much no information from her. Not that she was withholding info, I just think that she must have been one of the lower-paid-help - not too bright. The DON won't be back at work until Monday or Tuesday, and I will call again then. I also need to answer the several e-mails from my nephew who has (bless his so-called heart) been keeping me inside the loop about his mother's condition. Apparently he does not see fit to go see her at this time, although he suggested to me that it might be an excellent time for me to visit.

Anyway, I did start a letter to him last week and saved it to the hard drive. Then, my computer went belly-up, and I was without it for five days. My fourteen-year-old grandson mowed for me on Wednesday and I asked him to look at it for me, since I'm one of those old ladies who, when I get down on the floor, I have much trouble getting up. It was a kind of funny scenario when I was trying. I guess Gracie (little dog) thought I got down to play with her, so she complicated the "getting up" process by getting in my face.

I did send Doris some pink M n' Ms. They were pink to recognize breast cancer awareness month. Doris and our older sister Inez, plus our mother all have had left-sided mastectomies. And, Dex - I do understand where your friend is coming from. Our mother was eighty-four years old when she had her breast removed, and she wasn't a bit happy about it. I think her statement was something like, "After all these years, I have to lose my breast."

By the way, I only have two "full" sisters. And they have both had breast cancer. Our mother and older sister are deceased, but did not die from breast cancer. My chances of leaving this world "breasts-intact" seem mightly slim.

Enogh boob talk for one day.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-10-10 4:29 PM
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-10-11 2:35 PM (#20309 - in reply to #20293)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: For land Lubber & Dex -

Corabelle, You should talk to her doctor and see if he can order "soft restraints" for your sister. These are simple little straps that attach to the bed railings to stop her from getting out of bed at night. The nurses can't use them without an order from the doctor. I know it sounds cruel to tie someone down but it's safer for her in the long run. Also available is a bed alarm. This is a small device that sends an audible alarm when the person leaves or attempts to leave the bed.
When my mother first came home from breaking her leg I was scared that she would try to get out of bed but she never did. After healing though she has. I do have her in diapers because she will just forget to use the bathroom and not know that she has gone. And I discourge her from leaving the bed at night because she is not real stable on her feet and we have a big golden retreaver that refuses to move even if someone has to step over her, So at night I use small snack tables placed near the bed to discourage her from getting up. But, bless her heart, every now and then she does.
It's hard to see someone you love fading but there is the hope that one day we willl all be restored together in a better place.
Take Care
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software