Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: George Washington Endorsed the use of the first American submarine, David Bushnell's TURTLE, during the Revolution. Following the vessel's attack on a British man-of-war, he discussed the potential use of submarines in a letter to Thomas Jefferson.
Charlie's place
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

steamboat
Posted 2008-10-10 5:05 PM (#20296)
Master and Commander

Subject: Charlie's place

I lost my older brother 2 years ago from a long battle with cancer. He lived in Sonoita, Arizona on a small ranch for last 20 years that he built up from a pretty ramshackel place into exactly as it suited him. He also owned a home in Tuscon that his widow moved into after his passing. She has recently placed the Sonoita place on the real estate market and my wife found the listing on the internet, complete with multiple pictures. Charlie loved woodworking and he had several large shops where he persued this hobby. The pictures of these empty shops jumping out of my computer screen is more than I can take. But I will probably save them, not for some morbid fascination, rather as a means to keep his memory alive, no matter how painful the images are without him in them. I sit here 3000 miles away and wish I could visit the ranch one more time before it is owned by a stranger. Why am I sharing this with Ya'll? I donno, except maybe someone has had a similar experience.
Steamboat sends
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-10 5:31 PM (#20297 - in reply to #20296)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Charlie's place

Send us the link. My wife and I are looking for retirement property in that general area and if it works out (doubtful with the recent hit to both our retirement funds) you could always come visit!

BB
steamboat
Posted 2008-10-10 6:46 PM (#20298 - in reply to #20297)
Master and Commander

BB, Email bounced.
Steamboat
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-10 9:37 PM (#20301 - in reply to #20298)

Great Sage of the Sea

spk_gbv@msn.com

Or just post it here, others may be interested as Southern Arizona is GODS country!

BB
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-10-10 10:39 PM (#20302 - in reply to #20296)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yes, by all means, save those pictures. The thought of Charlie not being here anymore is painful, but there have to be pleasant memories associated with them, too, and those are worth preserving.

It's like the boats we used to ride, and our Shipmates who have departed on Final Patrol:

We cannot walk the decks we used to walk; drop down the hatch, smell the coffee, and hear the old familiar sounds; hear the joyful greetings, feel the handshake or the hug from our Shipmates. They were an important part of our lives, and we miss them, but as long as we remember, they will still be with us, in our hearts and in our memories, still a part of us, and not truly gone.

Remember - Always Remember.

Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-11 4:24 PM (#20310 - in reply to #20296)

COMSUBBBS

I know exacly what you mean, John. My brother lived in the southeast section of Rapid, and at the time of his death I lived on the west side.

I spent a lot of time at his house, working on his WWII memoirs with him. He also died two-plus years ago; on June 9, 2006 (we think). His children sold his little house to a developer, and for more than a year, this developer restored the house, both structurally and cosmetically. I drove by frequently, checking on what progress I could from the street and alley.

One day, I stopped by just when the construction workers were headed for lunch. I waved one of them over and told him I was very interested in what they were doing because the home had been my brother's. They told me when they would be back, and if I wanted to stop by at that time, they would give me a walk-through and explain what they were doing.

So I did. The major structural job was the pulling together of the basement walls, which were bowing out from the house above. The young foreman tried to explain how they did this, but of course, I didn't fully understand the mechanics of it. Inside the house they had restored both bathrooms; installed an egress window in the basement bedroom, and were also completely replacing the kitchen cupboards, including putting in a dishwasher and an eating bar, both of which Elmer never had. All the upstairs windows were replaced, and totally new floor coverings were put in throughout the upstairs and the basement.

I had mixed emotions. Because of all the cosmetic changes, it really no longer looked like Elmer's home, with the exception of the beautiful rock fireplace (which they had put a new (gas, I believe) insert in. And since it no longer looked like his home, it no longer felt like his home. A strong emotion, of course, was that I wished that he could have lived to enjoy this "new" home.

I still drive by sometimes. It has been sold, and a new family (or a new single person - I don't know) are now living in it. I still remember that this was the home where he lived and died a solitary death. But, it's not his home anymore.

Do you have any inclination that you might want to own Charlie's place? Just curious.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-10-11 4:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software