Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 steamed 60,000 miles on a lump of Uranium the size of a golf ball. A diesel powered submarine would have required 3,000,000 gallons or 300 railway tank cars of oil.
Section 60
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-10-16 5:20 AM (#20459)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Section 60

Last night I watched the above titled documentary. Section 60 is in Arlington National Cemetery and it is where our military from Iraq & Afghanistan is buried.

They didn't show too much of the behind the scenes stuff, as in the preparation for the burials nor the burials themselves. The show focused on the relatives of those who died. Those who come to Section 60 on a regular basis to visit their loved ones. The rituals they go through. The little children singing Happy Birthday to their dead daddies. The young wife kissing the headstone of her husband......It was a terribly sad documentary. 

After 40 minutes, I had to shut it off, since it was about 2340, and my eyes were watery from the late hour. I tossed and turned for sometime last night as I attempted to sleep....
steamboat
Posted 2008-10-16 5:56 AM (#20461 - in reply to #20459)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Section 60

Why has the past 4 or 5 presidents found it necessary to go to war?
I don't want to start a political rant, but in my humble opinion, the only "necessary" war in the past 25 years is Afganistan, and we are not really seriously involved there.
I think every politician should be up front and personal with the realities of war ie. meeting with troops, families, veterans, families of casualties on a weekly basis before committing our troops. War is the result of failed diplomacy, politicians should be held accountable for their failures. Don't read me wrong here, please. I fully realize that there are a lot of crack-pot nations and leaders in the world today that will not listen to reason, but there are methods that can be used to bring them around, and if not, war should be the last resort, and then only if our territorial integrity is threatened.
However, I am a firm believer that a strong military is the best deterrant. Today rogue nations know that we are vulnerable with our reduced military strength and economic situation. It is a wonder that someone else has not opened another front that we could not defend without initiating a draft and expendature of massive funds that we do not have. The Wall Street fat cats are commiting treason just as sure as if they had given military secrets to our enemies.
Runner, I hope I have not stolen your post, but I firmly believe that the casualties of these wars are being hidden away and families left to grieve and fend for themselves. Only a very small minority of the general public is in the least bit involved in conducting these wars, and the majority don't even know nor do they care. A sad state of affairs, indeed.
I will try to get a copy of that video.
Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2008-10-16 6:04 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software