Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS GEORGE WASHINGTON, the world's first ballistic missile nuclear powered submarine, constructed in record time, set a record of its own by remaining submerged 67 days on its initial Polaris missile deterrent patrol in the Atlantic.
What in the hell happened to,"TURN TO"??
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-10-20 4:56 PM (#20598 - in reply to #20539)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: What in the hell happened to,"TURN TO"??

I just bet that Dex found it is now too cold outside to play in his sandbox so here he comes. It's either that or he accidentally sat on his Norse helmet and got gored in the butt. Maybe he couldn't untie one of Ray Stone's ties and got laughed at in the Waffle House. Then it could be it's the ? anniversary of the first time he started ragging on anyone under the tender age of 60. I did salute the Norfolk Naval Base today as I was hauling my sorry ass off to Florida for some off time. Somehow, it doesn't look quite the same.
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-21 4:27 AM (#20611 - in reply to #20539)

Old Salt

Yes folks, you are correct in that I was, and still am, in total agreement with Dex's opinions posted at the beginning of this article. I interjected the "Navy Times" article, as ridiculous as it is, to drive home the point that traditions worth saving are being tossed aside. What I think lit him off was when I mentioned "riling folks up." He incorrectly assumed that I meant he was trying to instigate something. I believe his intent was to stimulate some lively conversation, and I was trying to help. In fact, my first reaction to his venom-laced reply was to laugh, I honestly thought he was just getting into the spirit of lively conversation. After re-reading it, I can only assume that he truly believes the things he wrote.

It's a sad commentary on these message boards when they are the only medium a person has to base his opinion on a man. I've never met Dex personally, never talked to him on the phone, and I get the impression that he thinks I am nothing more than a snot-nosed, disrespectful instigator. I particularly like this phrase he used: "I resent bastards like you, always have...always will." I wonder what kind of bastard he thinks I am, and more importantly, since this is the ONLY medium we have communicated through, how does he truly know that I am a bastard?

I briefly considered another public apology for pissing him off, but after more reflection, I don't feel I have anything to apologize for. I will leave that up to the board's moderator and members to decide if otherwise. I thank you for the opportunity to join in your conversations, I get a whole lot more out of them than I can bring, but I assure you I will bring my years of experience in MY Navy, which I love and cherish just as much as you do your time. I served from 1980 til 2006, through some tumultuous times, and I am damn proud that I did.

Chuck Brunson
EMCS(SS), Ret
Runner485
Posted 2008-10-21 5:27 AM (#20614 - in reply to #20611)

COMSUBBBS

Chuck,

Welcome aboard! You have received the wrath of Kong for being so presumptuous as to disagree or even, God help you, insinuate that he is wrong. Water off a duck's back.....

Anyway, as I looked at the photo avatar you added to your posts, I see an E6 with 1 hash mark. That my friend puts you on a fast track. Hell it took me almost 3 years to make E4....but we do have one thing in common, and that is the dolphins we wear.

Keep coming back. Don't be put off by whatever invectives are hurled your way, because we usually have a good time here and some interesting stories, or should I say "no s**tters" are passed off as the "truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God". 

rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-21 5:42 AM (#20615 - in reply to #20539)

Old Salt

Thanks Joe.

The pic in my avatar was one of the proudest moments in my career, that was when I completed Recruit Company Commander school in 1988. Yes, at the time I was an EM1 (in fact, I made EM1 at the 5 year point, but remember, nooks start off as E-3 and are given E-4 out of A-school). I was selected for EMC in 1991, and then the advancement stopped. I did not make EMCS until 2004, due to a lot of factors (drawdown, poor follow on shore tour selection, an incredible knack for pissing off the CO at the wrong time, etc...) but that's life. I have no regrets for my career choices and wouldn't change a thing (well, maybe recruiting duty).

Lively banter don't scare me, even the occasional blast of s@*t can be entertaining, such as this case. I hope to be a part, however small, of this esteemed groups' discussions for a long time to come.

Nooks need lovin' too,
Chuck
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-10-21 7:05 AM (#20620 - in reply to #20615)

Master and Commander

Subject: Hang in there Chuck

You ain't heard the last of the "wasn't like that in MY NAVY"tirades.
Those and an endless string of nos$#@ers seem to be our favorite
passtime.
I was a willing and unrepentant participant and survivor of most of
the sea stories told here(not to mention several that are better off
not brought back into the light of day).
I ,being afflicted with severe CRS and lacking in wordsmanship
skills,am thankful to be able to relive those "glory days"due to the efforts
of those who possess better memory power(or more vivid immagination,
whichever the case may be).
It ain't always the OK corral around here.We try ,for the most part,to co-
exist peacefully.Hell,we even converse with "f#@$in' Nooks"on ocasion.LOL
SmileyCentral.com

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-10-21 8:00 AM
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-21 7:49 AM (#20623 - in reply to #20539)

Old Salt

Subject: To MAD DOG

The stories of "It wasn't that way in MY Navy" are some of my favorites, actually. When you consider that I spent over a quarter century on active duty, I experienced that a helluva lot even while still in uniform. I gained quite a reputation as a grouchy ol' bastard (there Dex, that's the kinda bastard I am, I guess) when it came to proper use of traditional terms and phrases. My last 4 years in our Navy was spent at the prototype site in Charleston, run jointly by civlians and sailors. Now mind you, when I enlisted in 1980, there was still a sufficient quantity of properly raised "old salts" in charge to ensure respect for our traditions was deeply instilled in me, and I always felt it was my mission to keep them alive. I corrected a lot of civilians, enlisted and officers alike when I would hear things like "The Morning Meeting in the Classroom." I would (not so gently, mind you) remind them that sailors didn't "meet", they "mustered", and we didn't have "morning meetings", we had "All Hands calls" or "Quarters".

Yes, I enjoy those conversations. I'll participate, but the one thing that I don't agree with is generalizing today's sailor as lazy, unprofessional and unpatriotic. They may lack in appreciation for those who came before them sometimes, but I place the blame on those who taught them rather than a character flaw. Hell, my own son is one of them. He's currently in training to become a nuc EM, and yes, he's a submarine volunteer. I'm damn proud of him, and I cannot WAIT for the glorious day when my own dolphins, given to me by one of my own heroes (EMCM(SS) Jack Adas) are pinned on his chest. My hope is that that pair of fish, now 47 years old, will get passed on 20 or more years later.

Thanks for listening and including me in your musings..
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-10-21 8:21 AM (#20624 - in reply to #20570)

Master and Commander

Doc Gardner - 2008-10-20 8:41 AM

Ralph Luther - 2008-10-19 5:55 PM

I guess it has to be more" touchy-feely, warm and fuzzy/PC now Dex. Chief's have to be more kooth so as not to injure the youngsters feelings.
Probably the really old geezers were the same with us when the old "Rocks and Shoals" had to be put in the archives.
I can't even begin to think what will be next after the new BS runs its course.

ROCKS AND SHOALS: I had to go refresh my memory on that one so I found an article and history of its usage. Contains a great word; "pusillanimous" which I had to look up. Interesting stuff and it sounds like our current Navy has forgotten much of its history.
Ah, the joys of getting old; I can remember stuff any way I want to and who's to disagree?

I had to look that one up Doc.

Main Entry: pu·sil·lan·i·mous
Pronunciation: \-'la-n?-m?s\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin pusillanimis, from Latin pusillus very small (diminutive of pusus boy) + animus spirit; perhaps akin to Latin puer child — more at puerile, animate
Date: 1586
: lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity
synonyms see cowardly
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2008-10-21 9:47 AM (#20626 - in reply to #20539)

Great Sage of the Sea

Here's what "Our Navy" has become.... talk about PC & touchy, feely

From Navy News Service, 10/21/08
DA NANG, Vietnam (NNS) -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Mustin (DDG 89) and its crew arrived in Da Nang Oct. 18 for a scheduled port visit.

While in port, the ship's crew of approximately 300 Sailors will participate in several community relations projects to include conducting yard work and painting a fence that surrounds the Nguyen Dinh Chieu School for disabled children. Mustin Sailors will also play a volleyball game against their counterparts from the Vietnam People's Navy and challenge a local soccer team at San Chi Lang Stadium. As part of Project Handclasp, Sailors will hand out toys and books as well.

"This visit emphasizes the growing cooperation between the United States and Vietnam," said Mustin Commanding Officer, Cmdr. James Jones. "It gives the crew a great opportunity to experience the wonderful culture of Vietnam and Da Nang in particular."

"Community relations projects are important in providing an opportunity for us to work with our Vietnamese neighbors to achieve a common goal while simultaneously giving us an opportunity to thank our hosts for their gracious hospitality. It is also incredibly rewarding to make a positive impact on the lives of others," Added Jones.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-10-21 10:01 AM (#20627 - in reply to #20626)

Master and Commander

Palm Bay Ken - 2008-10-21 10:47 AM

"This visit emphasizes the growing cooperation between the United States and Vietnam," said Mustin Commanding Officer, Cmdr. James Jones. "It gives the crew a great opportunity to experience the wonderful culture of Vietnam and Da Nang in particular."

Wow; how times do change. Last time I was there I got to exeperience their culture and warmth while trying to kill them. They, of course, reciprocated.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-10-21 10:03 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software