Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: One of the first women to submerge in a submarine is believed to have been Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
What in the hell happened to,"TURN TO"??
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-19 10:53 AM (#20539)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: What in the hell happened to,"TURN TO"??

I read a lot of posts, recollections, related factual accounts (yeah, you bet), musings, chronological historical narratives and other assorted cyber horse manure and I rarely hear reference to modern day seagoing technological undersea practitioners of the deep submergence arts, turning to. Back in the cro-magnon days of boats that went to sea on refined stuff that got squeezed out of dead dinosaurs....We had CPO's whose rather limited vocabulary was limited to words usually found passing the beaks of salty whorehouse parrots, sewer diggers and guys who worked on off-shore drilling platforms....and the term TURN TO. Tobacco chewing COB's, masticating wads of RED MAN and MAIL POUCH, BROWN's MULE, and other plug and shredded burleigh leaf, would simply hold their hand up with two fingers extended and twisting them back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...the internationally understood abbreviarted sign language for TURN TO...."Turn axnd Burn, Ladies", anyone remember that one...."Turn to ship's work" meant that you could not go up to the wardroom and play their Hammond organ or visit the Pier 22 dogtrack or fish for Marlin from the end of the pier behind the dumpsters or join the poker games and other forms of contests of chance and financial risk that went on in the ORION optical shop. Did the Nuke Navy hire a bunch of illegal alien turn to mercinaries? We kept hiring cleaning ladies, but Arliegh Burke kept making us pay em off and put em on the pier...DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-19 2:44 PM (#20551 - in reply to #20539)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: What in the hell happened to,"TURN TO"??

We did our own work, on the Boat and in the barracks. (at least when I was onboard.)

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-19 4:04 PM (#20554 - in reply to #20539)

COMSUBBBS

Blackbeard, Unable to connect the dots in your response....The term TURN TO was an abbreviated form of,"Turn to ships' work". My reference to nooks hiring cleaning staff and contracting out to make their bunks and obtain the services of an underway "tuck in gal", was a feeble attempt to light a fire under the folks who have either gone to sleep on this board or have fallen under the hypnotic spell of the Sugarplum Fairy. Too quiet, need to turn the rabid dogs loose on the residents of this cyber looney reservation....gotta wake up the posse....DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-19 4:27 PM (#20555 - in reply to #20539)

Great Sage of the Sea

Understood what Turn To means, our Chiefs used it also. The answer, "we did the work ourselves" was in response to 'Did the nukes hire illegal alien - mercenaries'.

Not a problem, you're right, it IS dead around here. My response was an attempt to also create some traffic.

BB
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-10-19 4:52 PM (#20557 - in reply to #20555)

Master and Commander

Okay, here goes:
FM: JrKrup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
TO: All the denizens of this here BBS
XMT: Dex, Blackbeard
BT
UNCLAS
TO HELL WITH YOU, SIR! Offensive letter to follow.
BT

There. That should get SOMEbody's heart a-pumpin'.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2008-10-19 4:53 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-10-19 4:55 PM (#20558 - in reply to #20539)
COMSUBBBS

I guess it has to be more" touchy-feely, warm and fuzzy/PC now Dex. Chief's have to be more kooth so as not to injure the youngsters feelings.
Probably the really old geezers were the same with us when the old "Rocks and Shoals" had to be put in the archives.
I can't even begin to think what will be next after the new BS runs its course.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-19 7:47 PM (#20564 - in reply to #20539)

COMSUBBBS

Do they still use the erxpression "Turn and Burn" ...."All I wanna see is AH's, elbows and shoe soles...all moving in the same direction." ? Do COB's still use such terms? DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-19 8:15 PM (#20565 - in reply to #20557)

Great Sage of the Sea

JrKrup, Skimmer - 2008-10-19 4:52 PM

Okay, here goes:
FM: JrKrup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
TO: All the denizens of this here BBS
XMT: Dex, Blackbeard
BT
UNCLAS
TO HELL WITH YOU, SIR! Offensive letter to follow.
BT

There. That should get SOMEbody's heart a-pumpin'.

How dare you! I am not a "SIR!" My parents were married when I was born.

BB
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-20 5:13 AM (#20567 - in reply to #20539)

Old Salt

Yep, I used the terms "Turn to", "Turn and Burn", I still call shipmates "shipmate", but I must confess, no chaw in my jaw. Can't stand the taste of the stuff. The loss of traditional terms and phrases was something that annoyed me throughout my career, especially as a Chief. There was a recent article in Navy Times about how the term "Shipmate" had become a derogatory remark, rather than an honored greeting. I used it, still use it, and will continue to do so until they plant me.

Ah, the ol' raised two fingers twisting back and forth. That's probably my favorite hand gesture of all time, even my two boys know what that means. All I had to do was walk in the living room, display that hand gesture, and butts got off the couch, TV turned off, and beds got made, trash got taken out, etc... Of course, now living in South Florida, I see a similar hand gesture frequently while driving, although it involves only half the raised fingers!

Chuck
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-20 5:15 AM (#20568 - in reply to #20564)

Old Salt

My personal favorite COB phrase began with "Drop your..." and ended with "grab your socks!"
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-10-20 5:41 AM (#20570 - in reply to #20558)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2008-10-19 5:55 PM

I guess it has to be more" touchy-feely, warm and fuzzy/PC now Dex. Chief's have to be more kooth so as not to injure the youngsters feelings.
Probably the really old geezers were the same with us when the old "Rocks and Shoals" had to be put in the archives.
I can't even begin to think what will be next after the new BS runs its course.

ROCKS AND SHOALS: I had to go refresh my memory on that one so I found an article and history of its usage. Contains a great word; "pusillanimous" which I had to look up. Interesting stuff and it sounds like our current Navy has forgotten much of its history.
Ah, the joys of getting old; I can remember stuff any way I want to and who's to disagree?
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-10-20 7:12 AM (#20572 - in reply to #20567)

Master and Commander

"There was a recent article in Navy Times about how the term "Shipmate" had become a derogatory remark, rather than an honored greeting. "(Chuck)
Shipmates:
The term"Shipmate"has always held a meaning of friendship,admiration and trust
among any and all of the old farts(shipmates) I ever hung around with.I still use
it in that manner.I even strech the point as to use it when addressing, (ugh),
civilians when I feel they rate it.(LOL)
How could anyone cause it to "become a derogatory remark"?
DAMN KIDS !!!!!!!!!! SmileyCentral.com
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-20 8:23 AM (#20574 - in reply to #20539)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: BLESS YOU, MAD DOG

You said it all.... Shipmate is one of the the finest terms ever devised by man...It would take one warped SOB to turn it into anything other than the wonderful, warm and valued expression it is. What in the hell has happened to MY NAVY? DEX
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-20 9:02 AM (#20577 - in reply to #20574)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: BLESS YOU, MAD DOG

The focus of the article was that leadership no longer took the time to learn a sailor's name, and just used the term "shipmate" when calling him/her out. Mind you, these are not my words, but the words of junior sailors who feel their leadership didn't care to know them, only admonish them.

I for one completely agree with Mad Dog and Dex. The term shipmate is one to be cherished and used in a positive light, not to admonish and correct. A shipmate is someone who has earned your respect, one who has "got your back" whether onboard or ashore, not some derelict who just slammed a watertight door underway or forgot to make up his bunk. Unfortunately, that's what it's turned into these days.

Dex, you wanted to rile folks up. Hopefully, I delivered something for you "old dogs" to devour.

Chuck
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-20 9:30 AM (#20580 - in reply to #20539)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For ris2005

Look you miserable sonuvabitch, I didn't intend to"rile anyone up" and resent a crap stirring punk like you, implying that. I truly didn't understand how a term like SHIPMATE could be transitioned into a negative and derisive term. Even after that lame justification you posted. Hell. there were MANY lads I didn't know that I called SHIPMATE out of respect and in ignorance of their proper name...To me it sounded a helluva lot more respectful than "Hey you." "You there" or "Cum'ere Sumbitch"...I resent bastards like you, always have...always will. And I'm sick and tired of self apponted saints attributing motives never intended to my posts...who piggyback on themes and ideas only to pick scabs, rub salt into wounds and spread vicious BS. I have no idea what a ris2005 is, but my name is Dex Armstrong and every man I served with thought SHIPMATE was a great term. Apparently this Navy Times located a nest of whiny bastards who had no idea what good sense is. If a junior officer who didn't know my name called me shipmate, it would be perfectly OK....It would mean in the absence of remembering my name he was recognizing we both were fraternity brothers in sea service...of course an idiot like you, wouldn't recognize that the jerk who wrote that stupid piece in NAVY TIMES was probably a civilian, whose spinal column never matched up with a bootcamp mattress and had no idea of the sacred nature of the term SHIPMATE. I hope you Mr. ris2005 get to read this before Gentry trashes it, because rotten bastards like you, who shovel crap on other folks from your saintly highchairs need somkeone to pin the tail on their donkeys. WHAT IN THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE TO MY NAVY in failing to filter out people like you or haul them out behind the pier dumpster and rearrange their dental work, is something that I fail to understand about the modern day sea service... You're a hide behind your ris2005 no name cheapshot artist and a stench in the nostrils of good sailors. Have a good day, Darling...DEX
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-20 9:43 AM (#20583 - in reply to #20539)

Old Salt

Thanks, I haven't received a good @$$ chewing like that in a long time. For the record, my name is Chuck Brunson, I currently live in Homestead, FL and I retired after 26 years of service in 2006. Anything else you want to know, sweetie?. RJS2005 is my screen name for every message board I frequent, it stands for "Red Jeep Society 2005", since I used to own a red 2005 Jeep Wrangler.

Cheers, Chuck

Edited by rjs2005 2008-10-20 9:54 AM
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-10-20 10:01 AM (#20584 - in reply to #20574)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: BLESS YOU, MAD DOG

What in the hell has happened to MY NAVY? DEX

When I was a hot runnin' E-3 I wondered what the hell the old chiefs were talking about when they bellowed about how it was in "MY NAVY".Now I understand.
Those of us who remember and understand the meaning of archaic terms such
as Shipmate,Runnin' mate,Pride,Tradition,and Brotherhood are following the tracks
of the T-Rex whose remains are put to use as fuel for a pink BMW or Lexus purchased
with the "incentive bonus"of a young,PC,"touchy-feely" lad who never heard of and doesen't give
a damn about Ned Beach,Mush Morton,Dick O'Kane,or "Warshot"Smith.(and
"Who the hell were Dex and MAD DOG?,Antique comic book characters,perhaps).This guy struts around looking like
the Maytag repairman and is glad he doesen't have to wear those "silly assed
cracker jacks".I feel sorry for him.

OBTW,Dex,Sounds like rjs2005 is ,for the most part,in agreement with us old farts
and was only quoting that lame assed Navy Times article.Don't shoot the messenger.Give the young man a break. GEEZ!

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-10-20 10:28 AM
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-20 10:28 AM (#20585 - in reply to #20539)

Old Salt

Dammit, Mad Dog, I just had a great reply posted and had to go back and edit it. Thanks for pointing out that I'm in agreement with both of you.

Chuck

Edited by rjs2005 2008-10-20 10:29 AM
rjs2005
Posted 2008-10-20 10:32 AM (#20586 - in reply to #20554)

Old Salt

dex armstrong - 2008-10-19 7:04 PM

My reference to nooks hiring cleaning staff and contracting out to make their bunks and obtain the services of an underway "tuck in gal", was a feeble attempt to light a fire under the folks who have either gone to sleep on this board or have fallen under the hypnotic spell of the Sugarplum Fairy. Too quiet, need to turn the rabid dogs loose on the residents of this cyber looney reservation....gotta wake up the posse....DEX

For the record Dex, this is what I was referring to when mentioning you were trying to rile folks up... your own writings.

Chuck

BTW, you're quite eloquent when you're angry.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-10-20 11:24 AM (#20587 - in reply to #20586)

Master and Commander

Subject: Hey Beagle Doc;

Stand by to treat some casualties on the mess decks. The harpoons and arrows are flying and at least one butt has been chewed on.
Sure beats the hell out of going to meetings;
You bring the 4x4's and I'll bring the whiskey; we might as well enjoy ourselves before we start a "suturing" party".
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-10-20 11:45 AM (#20588 - in reply to #20539)
COMSUBBBS

Dex does write some pretty good s*$# but he don't read worth a F^%@. Of course that's the way it is with those old worn out torpedomen. Now ya know why thier manuals for torpedos looks like comic books.
The old bastard needs to get a new set of glasses but can't find his way to the optometrist. He keeps winding up at the ob/gyn office. Since they both start with the letter "o" that's as far as he can make it out. Ain't that right hossfly?
Return fire at will
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-10-20 1:28 PM (#20589 - in reply to #20588)

Master and Commander

Right you are Ralph,It's a damn good thing those old TM tech pubs had pictures in 'em.Doc,I'm not skeered of flaming arrows.I live in an asbestos tee-pee and
all of my "SHIPMATES"are graduates of DC school.
(ya got enuff whiskey for all of us?)

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-10-20 1:33 PM
John396
Posted 2008-10-20 3:06 PM (#20593 - in reply to #20539)
Old Salt

I hate to see this B.S. You have a excentric E3 taking on a E6 or better with 26 yrs. And the guy was in aggrement with him.
At times there is a bad seed amoung we shipmates.
John Bay
Posted 2008-10-20 3:11 PM (#20594 - in reply to #20580)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: For ris2005

dex armstrong - 2008-10-20 12:30 PM

Look you miserable sonuvabitch, I didn't intend to"rile anyone up" and resent a crap stirring punk like you, implying that. I truly didn't understand how a term like SHIPMATE could be transitioned into a negative and derisive term. Even after that lame justification you posted. Hell. there were MANY lads I didn't know that I called SHIPMATE out of respect and in ignorance of their proper name...To me it sounded a helluva lot more respectful than "Hey you." "You there" or "Cum'ere Sumbitch"...I resent bastards like you, always have...always will. And I'm sick and tired of self apponted saints attributing motives never intended to my posts...who piggyback on themes and ideas only to pick scabs, rub salt into wounds and spread vicious BS. I have no idea what a ris2005 is, but my name is Dex Armstrong and every man I served with thought SHIPMATE was a great term. Apparently this Navy Times located a nest of whiny bastards who had no idea what good sense is. If a junior officer who didn't know my name called me shipmate, it would be perfectly OK....It would mean in the absence of remembering my name he was recognizing we both were fraternity brothers in sea service...of course an idiot like you, wouldn't recognize that the jerk who wrote that stupid piece in NAVY TIMES was probably a civilian, whose spinal column never matched up with a bootcamp mattress and had no idea of the sacred nature of the term SHIPMATE. I hope you Mr. ris2005 get to read this before Gentry trashes it, because rotten bastards like you, who shovel crap on other folks from your saintly highchairs need somkeone to pin the tail on their donkeys. WHAT IN THE HELL HAVE THEY DONE TO MY NAVY in failing to filter out people like you or haul them out behind the pier dumpster and rearrange their dental work, is something that I fail to understand about the modern day sea service... You're a hide behind your ris2005 no name cheapshot artist and a stench in the nostrils of good sailors. Have a good day, Darling...DEX

So how do you REALLY feel, Dex???
Jim M.
Posted 2008-10-20 4:12 PM (#20597 - in reply to #20539)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey Lahbsta man.. I do believe he is...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software