Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "...anyone who knows a submariner, (as well as anyone can know a submariner), knows that even after he retires he never really leaves the boats." Submarine: Steel Boats: Iron Men
Help the USS Drum
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2008-10-20 5:35 PM (#20602)

Senior Crew

Subject: Help the USS Drum

My Sunday School class visited the USS Drum on Saturday, October 18th. The USSVI Mobile Bay Base was kind enough to invite us to eat with them at Battleship Memorial Park. The pulled pork meal was delicious!

Tom Bowser and Lesley Waters are still working along with restoration. I'm trying to put up the highlights of their progress on the Drum228.org website.

This is just a reminder that the Drum needs help still from anyone willing to give. There are many ways listed on the Drum228.org website, both financially and physically. There are more ways to help that I haven't had the chance to add in yet. I hope to get a more complete listing on there soon.

Such ways include: 1) Purchasing a "Preserving Our Heritage" patch from the USSVI Lockwood Internet Base, see Rontini for details 2) Making a monetary donation to the USS Drum through USSVI Mobile Bay Base or USSVI Lockwood Internet Base 3) Donating to the USSVI Charitable Foundation and earmarking your donation for the Drum 4) Purchasing an engraved memorial brick that will be placed at Battleship Memorial Park for $30 with all proceeds (after brick and engraving costs) to go towards the Drum - via USSVI Mobile Bay Base. These are only a few ways to help.

Here are some photos of her exterior taken on Saturday:

Bow port side:

Bow starboard side:

Stern starboard side:

Stern port side:

Tom and Lesley are working on the stern right now. So much rust and deterioration is difficult to work in. It is going to have to be re-created.

Help save the oldest WWII-era museum submarine in the USA, if not for your generation, then for the next.

Visiting the Drum is a real privilege, not something to be taken for granted. I want to be able to take my kids there someday. There is no huge monetary source backing the Drum, there is no organized volunteer organization working with the Drum.

Things are SERIOUS. NavSea inspectors were "concerned" about some things they saw. I'm not a submariner, nor am I even Navy, but I do know that if anything else goes wrong, or if anything happens to Tom, the Drum could fall into serious peril.

It's not too late to start something. It's not too late to make a difference. I'm just not bright enough to know the best pathway to the goal. I do believe that once the Drum ever gets her exterior restored, cleaned, primed, and painted, that she'll be in good shape for a long, long time given her unique cradle that she rests in. It would seem that sensible, routine maintenance would keep her looking good once things are fixed properly.

Tom and Lesley are only two people who work hard and make due with what they have in a Park that doesn't care (apparently) that is open 364 days a year, so restoration has to work around the visitors all the time.
Darrin
Posted 2008-10-20 5:48 PM (#20605 - in reply to #20602)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Help the USS Drum

Alright folks as posted on other bbs' I am donating a $20.00 check to Tom and Leslely for the restoration of the USS Drum, while I know that the USSVI is trying to help her also it is those of us who are not members need to set down and write out a check to them IF possible or donate time if you are close enough. Drum is the oldest WWII museum boat that we have in the museum community and she needs to have her bow and her stern rebuilt before it is way too late... And for those whom have seen pics of her stern it is going to take a LOT of money and a dedicated crew to help Tom and Lesley save her.. Please help if possible.. And no I have not forgotten that the USS Silversides needs our help also, right now Drum has NavSea down her back and it is time to help Tom and Lesley

Edited by Darrin 2008-10-20 5:49 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software