Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds." -- Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz
My sister
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-21 7:33 PM (#20658)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: My sister

I just received an e-mail from my nephew this evening. It said that his mother had fallen and had a "significant hip fracture." Apparently she is falling a lot, and doesn't remember to ask for help when she gets up tp gp tp the bathroom, etc. About six weeks ago, she fell and hit her head and was hospitalized over night. Then recently she fell and "opened up a head wound that was almost healed."

She was taken to the ER in Dimmitt, Texas, and will (or already has been) transported to the ER in Amarillo.

It doesn't sound as though my nephew or his sister plan on going to Amarillo, and there is no way that I can travel alone anymore. She must feel so very much alone.

Why am I telling you all this. Well, I have to talk to someone, and my children and grandchildren didn't know their Aunt Doris when they were growing up, and I don't think they understand where I'm at in this situation, so no point in even talking to them.

Pray for Doris, please. It was always, 'Cora and Doris' when we were little kids and even when we were growing up. I even have one of Elmer's letters, written to 'Cora and Doris' during WWII.

Cora

(Don - there are no emoticons shedding tears on this BBS.)

Cora
Ric
Posted 2008-10-21 9:54 PM (#20663 - in reply to #20658)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: My sister

Cora. You and your sister have my prayers and thoughts.

Ric
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-21 10:31 PM (#20664 - in reply to #20658)

Great Sage of the Sea

She'll be in ours tonight too.

BB
Gil
Posted 2008-10-21 11:57 PM (#20667 - in reply to #20658)
Master and Commander

Hang in there!!!
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-22 12:35 AM (#20670 - in reply to #20658)

COMSUBBBS

Since reading your post, I have thought constantly of your sister. No one should spend the twilight of their life alone. Living alone is a living hell. Corabelle, the fact that you care and are concerned about her, is a blessing to her. I firmly believe that all people no matter what their condition can sense caring and when they are loved...no matter the distance of geographical seperation. There is a spiritual sense in us all that can detect family linkage and the embrace of supporting networks of friends and people like the ones who visit this board and share your pain. Just wanted you to know that you and your sister are being thought about by one who recognizes your difficult road and appreciates how you care for your sister, DEX
Box kicker
Posted 2008-10-22 5:14 AM (#20672 - in reply to #20658)

Old Salt

Cora,

I am sorry to hear that your sister is struggling so much lately, and having no one nearby makes it all that much more traumatic. But Dex is right, that people can often sense when they are cared for and about.

THe submarine family is incredibly good at caring for and about our family(s). And thanks for letting us care.

Continued good wishes and prayers sent your and her way.

Stan
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-10-22 5:53 AM (#20680 - in reply to #20658)
COMSUBBBS

Cora, our prayers are there for both of you. Stay strong!
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-10-22 3:03 PM (#20699 - in reply to #20658)
Old Salt

Cora, I'm sorry to hear of the troubles your sister is having. She is in my prayers each day, (as are you).
God Bless you Cora and your sister.
Steve
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-10-23 2:12 PM (#20738 - in reply to #20658)

COMSUBBBS

Garry and I will have her in our thoughts and prayers...and as Dex so eloquently said it...she will feel the "outstretched arms of family".

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-10-23 2:47 PM (#20740 - in reply to #20658)

Master and Commander

Thinking of you and especially your sister today, hopefully the news has improved since you posted this notice.

Best wishes

Paul
Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-23 7:41 PM (#20752 - in reply to #20740)

COMSUBBBS

First I want to thank everyone who has sent prayers skyward for Doris & me.

I will quote from e-mails that I received yesterday and today from my nephew:
10/22: Doris (love how he calls her 'Doris') went into surgery today at around 1300 to have a couple pins inserted into the leg bone just below the hip. I don't know the results yet. Depending on the results of the surgery & the length of time she will be in the Amarillo hospital, I'll make a decision about a trip."

10/23: "I called the hospital & spoke with one of the nurses, Rochelle, this morning. The surgery was successful & Mom is doing fine. Rochelle estimates that Mom (now she's 'Mom') will be in the hospital for 3 or 4 days. She would then be transported back to the nursing home (in Dimmitt)."

Then he gave me phone #s for the hospital, the nurses station, and a direct line into her room. There is no point in calling her room because her hearing is so compromised, that she cannot hear over the phone. She and I have learned that in the past.

I did call the hospital, and her nurse told me that she, of course, is in a great deal of pain, and they are trying to control that with medication ordered by her surgeon. They have had her sitting up on the edge of the bed. (God, I sure hope they put the sides of the bed up, because she may have broken her hip by falling out of bed in the first palce.) The nurse also told me that she will be transported back to the nursing home in Dimmitt tomorrow. The nursing home is also a rehab hospital, so, hopefully, she will get physical therapy there - if she can understand what they want from her, and if, in her diminished mental state, she can cooperate.

Thanks again, guys. You're the best!

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-10-26 9:30 PM
Stoops
Posted 2008-10-23 8:16 PM (#20753 - in reply to #20658)
Master and Commander

Cora.
Your sister is in our prayers. I lived in the Texas Panhandle for a number of years, about 45 miles from Amarillo, and those folks in that region are good solid, salt of the earth folks. My boss would take two weeks vacation and never lock his house....folks left fheir car keys in the ignitions in the company parking lots......I can't tell you how great those folks are....and they probably aren't much different that people everywhere else in fly over country, but I can speak with experience about the panhandle of Texas.

I'm confident that your sister will be in great company with loving, caring nurses and doctors.

dave

Buff
Posted 2008-10-23 9:05 PM (#20755 - in reply to #20658)
Crew

Cora,

Thanks for the update on your mom. As one who takes care of his mom, I understand the concern. She and your family are in our prayers as well.

Buff
Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-26 9:28 PM (#20827 - in reply to #20755)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Buff - It's my sister, not my mom -

I probably confused you when I said that part of the time my nephew calls his mother "Doris" (her given name), and part of the time he calls her "Mom."

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-10-26 9:30 PM
sister5lp
Posted 2008-10-27 10:20 AM (#20838 - in reply to #20658)

Mess cooking

Cora, sending all the hope and psotive energy, along with several prayers to you and your sister. Remember her rehab will be so much better by being done at the nursing home. The staff there will have a "special" touch for her, I am sure. Please know that we are in your and her corner. Just please keep us updated, so we can rejoice with you as this moves forward.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software