Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction,...' I served in the United States Navy'.” -- John F. Kennedy
Silversides (Again)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply    Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

COB SS-424
Posted 2008-10-23 4:40 PM (#20746)
Quote Reply
Subject: Silversides (Again)

Shipmates: I swear I meant to have let this matter rest--but after my last message I had a phone call from a buddy who was with me when Bob Morin, former GLNMM Director, gave me the 'unofficial' title as Silversides COB Some of us were in his office brainstorming about raising money. I had just taken over the job of making and selling the teakwood/brass plaques. Bob said he would print up some business cards for me, and asked what I wanted on them. Aside from personal data, I said I'd like to have some sort of title. He then looked at the e-mail address I had given him, and asked me if I had been COB of 'SS 424.' When I said yes, he said he would have 'COB, USS Silversides' printed on the cards. Since Bob has been removed as Director of GLNMM, I no longer carry cards with that 'unofficial' title--though for the life of me, I cannot imagine why any sane individual would or could possibly object.

Also for the record I just recently resigned as Escolar Base Commander--for health reasons. The rheumatoid arthritis is now firmly ensconsed in my spine, and I now feel that I can no longer give Escolar Base Members the service they deserve. This is no ploy for sympathy. My first COB told me where to find instant sympathy: look in any dictonary; it is conveniently located between S_ _ t and Syphyllis!

Warm regards to all.

Paul L Kidd
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-10-23 9:32 PM (#20760 - in reply to #20746)
Quote Reply

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Silversides (Again)

COB SS-424 - 2008-10-23 2:40 PM
My first COB told me where to find instant sympathy: look in any dictonary;
it is conveniently located between S_ _ t and Syphyllis!

Thanks, I'll have to remember that one!

And thanks for the story on how you became "COB" of the Silversides.

Shame to hear you are stepping down, but sooner or later we all have to step back, because we are not as young and capable as we once were.

RA is not fun. I used to have a neighbor who had it. Some days were better than others.

Stay well, Shipmate. And thanks for all you have done.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-10-24 5:00 AM (#20767 - in reply to #20746)
Quote Reply
COMSUBBBS

Paul, I concur what Don has posted. Sometimes those admin. jobs are thankless jobs. Especially when some of the troops are narrow minded and wear blinders. Good on ya, Shipmate.
Fred Tannenbaum
Posted 2008-10-24 6:52 AM (#20772 - in reply to #20746)
Quote Reply
Mess cooking

Dear Jon:

I was present in July 1979 when Silversides got her first main engine (No. 3) running for the first time in more than 30 years. As I understand it, all four mains have been returned to operating condition. Her two auxiliaries also could be run at one time but I believe it has been decades since they have.

Two of those main engines are usually run on the Sunday before Memorial Day.

Power was put to one shaft within the last 10 years. Rumor had it that the motors were suppoed to be preserved in cosmolene as part of the mothballing process but I believe they were actually were not and were dry. Some seals broke and there was some oil spilled.

Silversides does not have her propellers. They were removed when she was mothballed in April 1946. Two props are on display at the museum but I believe they are from the USS Pompon.

Hope this helps!

Fred
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software