Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
SitRep on Doris
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-24 9:24 AM (#20781)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: SitRep on Doris

Doris goes in for her last chemo today and is scheduled for something called a electocardiagram (spelling??) that, once completed will allow her to be scheduled for her radical mastectomy on the right breast. She wants to have an implant...one of those Zip-Lock bags of Jello or Silly-Putty that serves as some kind of permanent falsie. Chalk it up to vanity. Folks she's 75 now....The chances of Prince Charming turning up and hauling her to some dark place up in the balcony of the Stardust Theater and unbuttoning her blouse for braille anatomy study and digital manipulation, are slim and none. As for use for their intended purpose...their expiration date passed beaucoup moons ago. The economy is really bad...but not so bad that the topless talent recruiters will be knocking at her door in the future offering her employment. In short, she could pack her right bra cup full of Cheerios and nobody but her doctor and the gal selling Cheerio falsies would know. I'll let everyone know once I know the date, time and location of her surgery. DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-10-24 12:15 PM (#20787 - in reply to #20781)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: SitRep on Doris

Good onya Dex for looking out for her. Electrocardiogram/EKG is used to diagnos any heart disease and possible past heart attacks. Many hospitals run this on anyone over 45 before taking a knife to them.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-24 1:31 PM (#20790 - in reply to #20781)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, My knowledge of medical procedures, terms relating to such procedures and physiological nomenclature is absolutely zip point doo-dah. When I went in for a throat operation was told that the surgeon was going to remove my UVALA...Hell I thought uvalas were part of the female reproduction area. I can sit down with my grandkids and say,"This is your nose...This is your ear....This is your mouth....and this is your belly-button, where the indian shot you." I know that "This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home, this little piggy had roast beef, this little piggy had none...and THIS LITTLE PIGGY WENT WEE-WEE-WEE ALL THE WAY HOME." That's the extent of my anatomical expertise. The only thing I know about breasts is that they are great for newborn babies and very entertaining in the dark part of a movie balcony. DEX
Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-24 1:42 PM (#20792 - in reply to #20790)

COMSUBBBS

Clothes fit better if a lady has two breasts. Maybe that's what she's thinking of. Dresses and blouses are designed with two in mind. Hey, I'm a poet.

Give her a hug from me, Dex.

Cora
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-10-24 2:47 PM (#20793 - in reply to #20781)
Old Salt

I'm sure Doris will feel better after the operation. Her confidence will be much better. Hang in there Dex, You are doing great.
Steve
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-25 8:02 AM (#20801 - in reply to #20781)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For Corabelle

Corabelle, Considering the clothing issue. This is not intended to be funny or taken the wrong way, but never having had to contend with chest appendages. I don't have the insight that you as a female, have. But, I have looked into custom made prosthetic devices and bra inserts for Doris, whose fears have become magnified to the point where her rational thought processes have paralized her future thought process. Here is my take, at her age it seems a little futile to get an alien substance implant that might cause complication in and area already contending with various colonies of cance cells. She is slated for ten or twelve months or post operative radiation treatments. It would seem that something akin to a baggie load of Silly Putty roaming around in the vicinity of all those rogue cells the doctors are trying to kill. Next, wouldn't a load of inserted material complicate her ability to roll over in her sleep. I was advising her to consider foam rubber cookies in one of those prosthetic bras. She trusts me and that truthfully scaresw the hell out of me. She's escaping with her life and to me should be doing bigtime celebrating rather than concerning herself with vanity driven appearance considerations. Cora, Thanks for caring. Can you wear those custom made falsies and still look OK in dresses, sweaters and tight blouses? Value your opinion. DEX
Corabelle
Posted 2008-10-25 10:31 AM (#20804 - in reply to #20801)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Absolutely, I agree Dex

This is strictly unofficial, but I've wondered whether an implant would block future mammogram x-rays. I've always been kinda scared of implants. Perhaps there are better models today, but if you recall, they used to "migrate" under the skin and actually become imbedded and impossible to remove.

I've had no actual experience with implants, because my mother and both sisters (Inez & Doris) did not opt for implants. Doris' daughter bought her some "falsies" (not the professional term), and I guess they worked, but because she was in a nursing home, Doris either misplaced them, or they were stolen. I did send her some bras with pockets in them, but I don't believe she wears them because she no longer has the prostheses. Now, of course, she has larger issues to deal with.

My mother and sister Inez are deceased - but did not die of cancer. I believe they both had congestive heart failure.

I guess you could gently "suggest," and her physician should also be involved in her decision.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-10-25 10:32 AM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-10-25 11:34 AM (#20806 - in reply to #20804)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Absolutely, I agree Dex

Cora & Dex:

What used to migrate wasn't the implants, (the plastic bags filled with saline gel), but the silicone injections. If you remember in the '60's, there was a San Francisco stripper named Carol Doda that had huge breasts, courtesy of silicone injections. Later in life, she had problems with her injections. The silicone partially hardened to unnatural feeling lumps, or parts migrated to other parts of the body, predominately the knee joint. The joke at the time was that "She had the cutest knees - complete with nipples."

They don't do that any more, not even in 3rd world countries.

Even the newer "plastic bags filled with silicone jelly" have been discontinued in favor of the saline. That way if there's ever a leak (never happened yet) the saline gel would simply be absorbed harmlessly by the body.

Implants today are very safe when installed by a competent surgeon.

My opinion: A competent surgeon wouldn't implant them until all the anti-cancer procedures had been completed, and the patient was in complete remission.
Stoops
Posted 2008-10-25 9:35 PM (#20813 - in reply to #20806)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Absolutely, I agree Dex

Yeah Jon.....how many modern surgeons have half the common sense you do? I'd not trust a damned MD any more than I'd trust a friggin congressmen or English profBah...humbug.....screw em all.....

Edited by Stoops 2008-10-26 7:43 AM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-25 9:36 PM (#20814 - in reply to #20781)

COMSUBBBS

Corabelle and Jon, Since this situation I've gotten way too involved in a subject I know very little about...and guys who live by themselves should keep their minds on subjects other womjen's breasts. But I agree with Cora, great advice. Doris shouldn't be going all over hell and half Georgia asking beauticians, waitresses, supermarket check out ladies, Jiffy Lube mechanics, 7-11 clerks, pizza delivery men and old wornout sonuvabitches who rode Tench Boats about what she should do about anything behind her nipples. She should talk with her doctor...he's probably had more contact with the subject and more contact with actual breasts than most guys, except an MMA at a WAVE barracks. Thanks Corabelle and Jon....DEX
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-10-26 2:59 PM (#20821 - in reply to #20814)

Master and Commander

Oh, I don't know, Dex. As I told you some time ago, the first time I visited a nudist camp was when I was 10, and have been a regular visitor ever since. I saw more nekkid breasts before I completed puberty than most other red-blodded boy scouts.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2008-10-26 3:01 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-26 4:31 PM (#20824 - in reply to #20781)

COMSUBBBS

Had lunch with Doris....Chink-Chow Carry-out....Chicken Chow Mein, Pork Fried Rice, and Fried Won-Tons (with Chinese nepalm based hot mustard, that could blast holes in asbestos Fruit of the Looms.). Doris ate well (I'm beginning to sound like a foster mom) and was in good spirits. I had look look at Dave Stoops magic card and do all the requisite ooohs and ahhhs and agree that submarine sailors are wonderful, highly thoughtful people. She's in a great frame of mind and very up. I stayed clear of all breast talk. Thanks to all of you for caring. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software