Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS Irex SS-482 was the first US submarine fitted with an operational snorkel at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in 1946.
Submarine History & The Web
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-10-26 12:23 PM (#20820)
Master and Commander

Subject: Submarine History & The Web

In my youth, I would have never imagined that information about the subamrine service would be so plentiful as it is with the Internet. I am always poking around trying to learn new stuff.

Saturday, we took our granddaughter to her music lesson at the town rec center. In the main gym was a military show. One of the vendors had a banner about 3' X 5' from the USS Jallao SS 368. It was dated 1955 and 1956 and had many foreign flags sown on it. The one that stood out was Brazil because it is somewhat unique.

So home I come and due to the magic of Don's web site, here is what I find out about the 368 via a link to their web site:

From The USS Jallao SS368 Web Site:
Jallao’s home port was changed to New London in July 1955 and she got underway with British submarine HMS Alderney 7 August to take part in Joint Exercise "New Bloom IV." Following this operation, Jallao was deployed to the 6th Fleet and departed for the Mediterranean 9 November 1955. In the months that followed, she helped train Italian Navy ships and took part in fleet exercises, beginning the long voyage home in mid-January 1956. The ship steamed through the Suez Canal, visited several countries of eastern and southern Africa, and crossed the Atlantic to take part in exercises with Uruguayan and Brazilian destroyers. The veteran submarine returned to New London 16 April.

Thanks to Don and all web designers and masters out there who keep this all tied together.

By The Way; here is a little humor from the USS Jallao SS 368 web site:

Some Good Old Navy Humor

The Chief noticed a new Seaman one day and barked at him to get over here.

"What is your name?" was the first thing the Chief asked the new guy.

"John," the new guy replied.

The Chief scowled, "Look, I don't know what kind of bleeding-heart, liberal pansy ass stuff they're teaching Sailors in boot camp today, but I don't call anyone by their first name. It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority.

I refer to my Sailors by their last name only – Smith, Jones, Baker - that's all.

I am to be referred to only as Chief. Do I make myself clear"?

"Aye, aye, Chief!"

"Good! Now that we got that straight, what is your last name ?"

The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling, Chief!"

"Okay----------------- John, here's what I want you to do..."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software