Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Again I ask, who really are our Hero’s? They are the men who have, since the first day of our great country, left their families and friends and gone to war asking for nothing and giving all." -- Gary Walker
Working on something
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-30 7:46 AM (#20963)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Working on something

In the film AFRICAN QUEEN the river that Rose and Charlie travelled down to Lake Louisa was referred to in the film as the Ulanga (Ulonga) and in the movie Charlie (Bogart) tells us that at some point the river becomes the Bora River. The movie also says that the action takes place in 1914 in German East Africa. My detective work shows me that German East Africa....became Tanganyika and is now Tanzania. Now it seems that the Ulanga-Bora has become the Rufiji...and the the lakes it emptities into are Lake Tagalasla, Lake Manze, Lake Nzelekela, Lake Siwandu and Lake Mzizimia....I am trying to find the river that C.S. Forrester wrote about in his novel AFICAN QUEEN and map it on a map of today....My Christmas present to myself has been a painting of the AFRICAN QUEEN. I have had it painted...it is now framed and wrapped in Chistmas paper and it is waiting to be placed under my tree....Now I am trying to find a map of the route taken and the lake where the ficticious LOUISA a steamer mounting as Charlie tells us,"a six pounder". I want to find a map of the route and frame it to place it next to my AFRICAN QUEEN painting. If anyone can help that understands this geographical area, I would rally appreciate a hand in this. THANKS. DEX
Dave S.
Posted 2008-10-30 8:37 AM (#20968 - in reply to #20963)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Working on something

Dex,

This may or may not be helpful, but here are some suggestions for some information on the real historical action that the book/movie are based on.

First off, I would recommend you look for a copy of the book 'Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: the Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika' by Giles Foden. You may be able to findit at your local library, but here is a link to the book on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mimi-Toutous-Big-Adventure-Tanganyika/dp/1400075262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225380378&sr=1-1)..

From Publishers Weekly
At the height of WWI, as armies of thousands fought with each other on European soil, a much more unusual battle was waged in eastern Africa, where Belgian and German colonial territories were separated by the second largest body of water on the continent, Lake Tanganyika. An English big-game hunter living in the region came up with a plan to take out the German warships that patrolled the lake, and command of the mission was given to Geoffrey Spicer-Samson, a career officer whose boorish incompetence had earned him the dubious distinction of being the oldest lieutenant commander in the Royal Navy. Foden (The Last King of Scotland) delivers his novelistic skills with full effect in depicting the absurdity of Spicer and his campaign, from the self-designed skirts he wore to combat the heat to his status as "Navyman God" among the local natives when his small motorboats—named with the French words for "miaow" and "bow-wow"—actually managed to capture and sink much larger enemy ships. Charming illustrations at the head of each chapter, along with the hand-drawn maps, further add to this tale's quirky appeal. Closing chapters add a poignant epilogue, explaining how Spicer's story inspired C.S. Forester's The African Queen, and noting the disappearance of the events from the memory of modern Tanzanians. Foden's engrossing account is not just for military historians or lovers of exotic locales; it should please anyone who loves a good story.

Second, you may want skim through the pdf at this link for some more on the history and the map on the first page. (http://www.nhminiatures.com/Scenario_LakeTanganyika.pdf)

I hope that helps out.

Dave

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-10-30 1:08 PM (#20973 - in reply to #20963)

Great Sage of the Sea

Sorry I can't help with your request. However, if you are a fan of the movie, as well as the book I'd like to recommend a great read. The Making of the African Queen or how I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind, by Katharine Hepburn. It is essentially her journal of the entire experience and is full of great candid photographs and anecdotes.
I got it last year on Amazon.

BB
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-10-30 4:38 PM (#20978 - in reply to #20973)

Master and Commander

Dex:
Did I send you my copy of Capstick's book Death in the Silent Places? I have it but can't remember if I loaned it to you some time ago. In any case, check out P.J. Pretorius, later Major of H.M. Army, C.M.G., D.S.O. and Bar. He did a bit of tramping about what became Tanganyika, during the time the Germans took the heavy cruiser Konigsberg up the Rufuji River about 20 miles. P.J. scouted out the area, even taking soundings of the river for many miles. The Brits launched monitors up the river, eventually blasting the H.E.double nuts off of the Konigsberg. This was in 1914 to 1918 time frame.
GaryKC
Posted 2008-10-30 5:48 PM (#20981 - in reply to #20963)

COMSUBBBS

Hey DEX, the older I get the more confused I become. I did some serious research to find a map of the route taken by the African Queen. Soon I realized that searching for a map to show the location of a place in a work of fiction is futile, sort of like looking for a street map that shows the Yellow Brick Road. It was fun looking for a while, I hope you find one as I'd enjoy seeing it.

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-10-31 6:50 AM (#20993 - in reply to #20963)

COMSUBBBS

Gary, I can see you are no fan of C.S. Forrester. Even though his characters and plot were his own creative invention...times, incidents, geographical locations, major personages, historical facts, equipment and everything of a "researchable" nature are accurate to the tenth degree. I refer you to, THE GUN (made as the film The Pride and the Passion), SINK THE BISMARK, The HORATIO HORNBLOWER series, and yes...THE AFRICAN QUEEN....Thanks to detailed information provided by men reading this board, to whom I am deeply indebeted....I have learned the following....German East Africa became Tanganyika...the Ulanga (Ulonga)/Bora River was renamed the Rufiji River and had tributaries that ended up in the following lakes... Lake Tagalala...Lake Manze...Lake Nzelekela...Lake Siwandu...and Lake Mzizimia. I'm still doing Dick Tracy work. There was no LOUISA but there was an incident where amatures sank a light cruiser of the German Imperial Navy that attempted to hide itself up a remote estuary to effect repairs. It was this incident that must have triggered Forrest's fictional account. Thanks to everyone who e-mailed and posted information on this Board....I was "brickwalling it" until you folks passed me the keys that unlocked two boxes I couldn't open....THANKS, DEX
subvetss
Posted 2008-10-31 7:01 AM (#20994 - in reply to #20993)
Senior Crew

Hey Dex, old friend,
Have you ever considered therapy?
All my love,
Joe'the'Most
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-10-31 10:37 AM (#21009 - in reply to #20994)

Master and Commander

The Imperial German Ship Konigsberg is still sitting on the bottom of the Rufiji River in Tanzania. The spot is "visit-able," but the shifting currents and silting of the area has pretty much buried her hull and superstructure. I did a cursory look last night on Google Earth to see if I could find any indication, but there was nothing readily visible. Then again, I don't know what remains visible, or where it is.

Peter Hathaway Capstick, in his book, Death in the Silent Places, donates 43 pages to Maj. P.J. Pretorius and his adventures fighting the Hun during WWI. The Germans came in, confiscating personal and real properties for their own use. Pissed off ol' P.J. to the point that he declared his own personal war. The Brits enlisted him, gave him an organization, financial and military backing, and a sense of singular purpose. The sinking of the light cruiser Konigsberg was accomplished by British Monitors that were able to sail up the Rufiji river to within gun distance. P.J. provided the necessary soundings of the river so this may be accomplished. Sounds like he didn't do much, but considering that he was the sole (British) beetle in a colony of (German) ants changes his work to be quite vital.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software