Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Again I ask, who really are our Hero’s? They are the men who have, since the first day of our great country, left their families and friends and gone to war asking for nothing and giving all." -- Gary Walker
For those still interested...Update on my sister...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-03 3:29 PM (#21099)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For those still interested...Update on my sister...

This (and I quote) is the latest update re: Doris. This is from my nephew (Doris' son).

"I had a nice long talk with Diane, the Administrator of Castro County Nursing & Rehab, this afternoon. Mom is still in the hospital in Dimmit. Diane visited with her last Friday. Mom is suffering from, and is being treated for, some pretty severe pain due to the hip fracture and surgery.

"I guess the good news is that she is reluctant to get out of bed now due to that pain. Diane confirmed what I had suspected after talking with other nursing home staff. Mom wasn't very good about following instructions, asking for assistance, or using the call light when she wanted to get up. Her unsteadiness and "independence" contributed to her numerous falls.

"I asked about the issue of restraints to help avoid injuries. Diane explained that as long as a nursing home resident is ambulatory, like Mom, they are encouraged to keep moving so as to use their muscles and exercise their joints. That makes sense to me.

"She also said getting approval to restrain someone is very difficult due to the legal issues involved. That also makes sense to me.

"She told me that Mom would most likely be discharged from the hospital in about two weeks due to the complex paperwork involved in a lengthy stay. If I remember correctly, Medicare covers a twenty day hospital stay and then 100 days of care relating to her hip injury in the nursing home.

"We discussed Mom's hearing problem and Diane indicated that treating her ears with drops to dissolve wax build-up did not solve the problem.

"I told her I was concerned because the hearing problem had been an issue for a long time and had not been resolved. I pointed out that physical therapy would be difficult if she couldn't hear and follow instructions.

"Diane said when Mom is discharged from the hospital she will be given a hearing test and would be fitted with hearing aids as needed.

"One final note. By coincidence, Diane is also from Rapid City. She graduated in 1969 and left when she joined the Army. She sounded excited to hear that Mom was also from Rapid and was looking forward to talking with Mom about their mutual hometown. MDK"

Thank you, everyone for your thoughts, prayers and concerns regarding my baby sister.

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software