Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Service” -- Rudyard Kipling, The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915
Today's election
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Stoops
Posted 2008-11-04 7:20 PM (#21160)
Master and Commander

Subject: Today's election

Probably not going to turn out the way I would have liked...but I did get to the polls at 6am and helped set things up. For the next 14 hours, I helped in the polling place, qualifying voters until 7pm when the polls closed. I then helped take down the voting machines, etc.

I made up my mind some time ago, that the proceeds of my meager earnings would all be earmarked for charity. Generally the Salvation Army gets a healthy chunk, but there are some submarine organizations that will get some portions of that when the county sends me the check.

I thank all of you for voting and serving. It is a privledge that was given to us by those who gave up much for us take advantage of. Election day should be a day to be considered as solemn as veteran's day for the simple reason that we would not have free elections if not for those patriots who fought for us.

Park Dallis
Posted 2008-11-04 7:29 PM (#21161 - in reply to #21160)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Today's election

Thanks, Dave.

And thanks for your election support.
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-04 7:34 PM (#21163 - in reply to #21160)

Admin

Subject: Thanks to all

Good on ya Dave! And THANKS to all for keeping politics off the board with rare exception - that's all but amazing!  I truly appreciate it and it's good for this board.

Back to watching the results for a bit then off to hockey practice.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-11-04 7:37 PM (#21164 - in reply to #21163)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Thanks to all

I got to my polling place at 0810, and there was already a waiting line.

I ALMOST took along my Genuine, Florida, "Hanging Chad" Voting Machine, but I didn't.
Ric
Posted 2008-11-04 9:28 PM (#21165 - in reply to #21164)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Thanks to all

Only two counties in Washington still have polling places. The rest of the state is mail in only. I voted over a week ago thanks to the post office. Next election will be all mail in most likely. Oregon is all mail in and has been since the last national election.

Thank god it is ALL OVER with!!!!!!!
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-04 10:16 PM (#21166 - in reply to #21165)

Master and Commander

Subject: Likewise, Ric (to a lesser degree)

My SO and I mailed in our ballots a week and a half ago here in AZ. Apparently, so did about half of AZ voters.

To paraphrase the old Western Airlines ads: 'The only way to fly!'
Ric
Posted 2008-11-04 11:58 PM (#21167 - in reply to #21160)

Plankowner

I have been listening to the BBC and the world reaction to the election. Very interesting to get the view of the man/woman on the street and how they are viewing the US and what this election means to them and what they think the result may be.

Wanna listen? BBC
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-11-06 4:36 AM (#21183 - in reply to #21160)

COMSUBBBS

I had a real investment in this election. I started working with my party three months ago and registered 247 new what were termed "first time voters" at Kingstowne Shopping Center...made four on-line contributions...and volunteered to drive a van to and from assisted living facilities, old folks homes and locations where people with no other way to get to the polls could come for pick-up. (Note: Driving that van was by far the highpoint of my day....Got kissed by a blind lady, huggrd by a woman who told me she was 102 years old, got slipped a paper cup, half filled with cheap bourbon related to rocket fuel by a long ago Bosun's Mate and drove two miles with a load of old coots singing "For He's a jolly good fellow." I highly recommend driving old folks to vote...You will never feel gratitude so wonderfully expressed.)....But I digress....Monday evening, I drove to my local STARBUCKS and got my two stainless steel hunting/fishing Thermos bottles filled with "Double Black-eyes". For those of you who have never gotten wrapped around a double black-eye....It floats bridge rivets, bowling balls and stuff up to the displacement of six links of the QUEEN MARY'S anchor chain and make Egyptian mummies become Gene Kelly, Fred Astair and members of the Flying Walendas. You drink a couple of black-eyes and you can't close your eyes for three days. I came home...gobbled a chicken salad sandwich and a glass of milk...took a steaming hot sheep dip....set the clock for 0200...and racked out....At a time when the only people up were burglars and bad wimmin.....the g-ddam clock went off...I rolled out of bed, grabbed my coffee Thermos's and a flask of MAKER'S MARK, two Moon Pies...and a canvas folding chair...and cranked up the old van...stopped at a Seven-Eleven where I got a WASHINGTON POST and a NEW YORK TIMES and arrived at the Lane Elementary School at 0330...(my designated polling place), The school was dark...darker than a well diggers hippocket...the parking lot was empty, so I got a really good parking place....There were no signs no Virginia Commonwealth Polling Station designators....I wondered if some lowlife sonuvabitches had moved my place to vote to some mystery location....but I got out and placed my chair, two Thermos'es, newspapers, and got out my United States Submarine Veteran's cap ( and clipped a new contraption, a set of five little LED lights that clip on the bottom edge of your ballcap visor...I highly recommend investing in a set of those little rascals).....After reading most of the day's NEW YORK TIMES and consuming most of a Thermos load of STARBUCKS...I got an urget Kidney/bladder BATTLE ALARM....and recognized an immediate need to return processed caffine to the planet earth....I went around the back of the shool and found an ideal location behind the cafeteria dumpster....What I failed to do was fail to recognize that my whiz was a security camera audition that triggered the mechanism whereby this goofy looking security guard showed up, in an SUV....He was connected with some Elmer Fudd sounding guy in his secret BATCAVE somewhere..."Whatca doin' buddy?" "Waitin'ta VOTE." "Polls don't open til six" "Yeah. I know...but the guys on TV are predicting long lines and I wanted to be up front in line." "You damn well should be...damn poll workers ain't suppost ta be here til around five." Then Mr. Security Guy picks up this hand held communication device the size of an upright freezer and says...."HEEZA EARLY VOTER"..."THE HELL YOU SAY...10-4..." And he tells me that a better place to take a pee is behind a hedge he points out...cause, "You ain't on no security cam-rah" What the hell happened to the concept of peeing anywhere you wanted other than the front steps of a convent...once the sun went down?...Just another erosion of individual rights. Well, I sat there and got to see the lights come on, the poll workers arrive...got to move me and my gear inside...watch the line form and my two newspapers passed down the line...When they opened the polls I was in and out in five minutes and by then the line ended three zip codes away....and I drove to pick up my van and my circuit schedule...There was no way in hell that anyone who didn't have unlimited access to a fleet of helocopters could come anywhere near meeting that bloody schedule. The clown who made that schedule had obviously never heard of signal lights, school crossing guards, road construction, traffic....and voting day traffic....and he must have learned to drive on the Utah salt flats.....You ALWAYS feel good if you make that extra effort to vote. If you snooze, you'll find yourself up to your ass in ten-thousand Joe Plumbers. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software