Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS TRITON, the only American made twin reactor submarine ever built, on May 10, 1960, completed the first totally submerged non-trivial circumnavigation of the world when she followed the route of Ferdinand Magellan for 36,000 miles during 84 days beneath the surface.
A Gentile Reminder
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-11-06 5:21 PM (#21223 - in reply to #21189)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: A Gentile Reminder

Take time to read the crap contained in this thread. It is a bloody shame...and dishonors every veteran who wore his nation's uniform and risked his life especially those who sacrificed all....We've lost the ability to recognize the sacred nature of certain rituals, traditions and days. There are certain things that should not be subject to humor....There's a lot more to honoring the members of our uniformed services other than slapping a stupid yellow ribbon loop magnet or SUPPORT THE TROOPS bumper sticker on your damn car. Or buying a GOD BLESS AMERICA t-shirt from a bloody money grubbing street vendor. Shame on the way vets have been denegrated by people here, some of which never fit their spine to GI mattress or served one damn day at risk....Kipling...oh hell, forget it. DEX
Ric
Posted 2008-11-06 6:25 PM (#21226 - in reply to #21223)

Plankowner

Dex,

I read your post above and I know and knew all that. Things have 'slipped' but if you reread my post you will see that it is only the parade on the 8th. (coincidence about b'day) The parade is respectful and happens to be the largest west of the Mississippi River to honor veterans past and present. The real remembrance, that I also attend with pride, happens on Tuesday the 11th at Tahoma National Cemetery. The real Arbor/Armistice/Veterans Day. One of the 6 traveling Viet Nam walls is always there also.

Ric
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-06 7:12 PM (#21227 - in reply to #21189)

Great Sage of the Sea

Actually he's ranting about the fact that we were making jokes in the thread. Even though the subject of the jokes were a few spelling errors, he chose to get his panties all twisted up and in some bizarre reasoning accuse us of making jokes about Veterans Day. It is easy to make the distinction between the two subjects, but he chose instead to create a slight that did not exist, in order to rant at his fellow Vets.
Although I love, and have often defended his writings, he's so far off base on this one he's AWOL. It appears he's missed his med's today.
And I'd like to note that I stopped and counted to 10,000 before responding to his slur.

BB
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-11-06 7:58 PM (#21229 - in reply to #21227)

COMSUBBBS

It seems this thread went askew after being sidetracked a bit by me...just to clarify a point, I am not making fun of Veteran's Day, either.  I plan on attending one or more Veteran's Day Ceremonies honoring ALL who gave of themselves for this Country.  My original post and the
one in which I tried to make a point were totally sidestepped, and that is where it went askew.  I realize that different organizations make different plans to accomodate those who, mostly likely, will be working on Nov. 11th and I can appreciate that, but what has happened to
the DAY ITSELF.  I know WE ALL remember that it is Nov. 11th, but it's like the day has been totally forgotten by the general public.
Is it because of "the conflict" that is now still going on...and they don't want to be reminded of it...do they fail to see that in order to
honor those who are serving now, we can't forget those who went before them...is what I am asking beyond the realm of possibility?
I don't even know if school kids still get this as a "legal holiday".  Does anything I have queried here make any sense to anyone else?

...and to Dex, I apologize if this went "way off the mark"...

GaryKC
Posted 2008-11-06 8:26 PM (#21232 - in reply to #21189)

COMSUBBBS

How about we all settle down a bit, relax and enjoy a dose of British "Gin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0jNC_w1tSw

And please, thank every veteran every day.

Edited by GaryKC 2008-11-06 8:31 PM
Jim M.
Posted 2008-11-07 5:44 AM (#21239 - in reply to #21203)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: A Gentile Reminder...

Ric - 2008-11-06 10:09 AM

.I think yer both mashugana.... (sp)

Thank you.. as the man said, in confusion there is profit..
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-11-07 11:09 PM (#21270 - in reply to #21189)

Great Sage of the Sea

Here in California, Veterans' Day is a legal holiday - schools are closed, some towns hold parades and other celebrations. Some parades will also be held on Saturday the 8th, and some commemorative activities have been going on all week, especially in the schools.

Much to my chagrin, I am working on Veterans' Day (again) this year. Double time for working on a federal holiday is all fine and good, but I'd rather be with my SubVets Shipmates & Ladies in the Veterans' Day parade in Fresno, and then at the local cemetery. We WILL have a moment of silence at the appropriate time, in rememberance of all our Veterans, and those of us who are Veterans will wear our ribbons and rank insignia, but it will still be a normal working day.

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-08 9:00 PM (#21303 - in reply to #21189)

Great Sage of the Sea

Here in our little town the events started 2 days ago. They will run through Wednesday. School is out through Tuesday. Today many local businesses hosted free BBQ's for vets. The biggest one* will be on Tuesday but there were at least a dozen today. On Thursday and Friday I believe 2 elementary schools were visited by Vets (we only have 5 elementary schools), explaining what Veterans Day means and talking about their experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan. One school received, and now proudly flies a US Flag that flew over his (the Veteran speaking) base in Iraq.
We have about 25,000 people in this town, approximately 1/5th work directly for the Navy. We treasure and respect Veterans Day.

* One of our local businesses (an investment firm -- Edwards and Jones owned/operated by Gail Petty) has for several years now, hosted a free BBQ and dessert. Her 70-something mom bakes dozens of pies by herself. I believe (the business owner) serves several hundreds of people each Memorial, and Veterans Day.

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb in their life.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet.

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-11-08 9:02 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software