Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo” -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
HELP!!! I can't get out!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-06 2:47 PM (#21209)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: HELP!!! I can't get out!

We had (overnight) a good old fashioned blizzard hit our area. The snow has stopped falling, but hasn't stopped blowing around. The wind is still pretty terrific. I have a four-plus foot drift in my back yard.

The biggest problem, however, is that both my front and back door are frozen shut. I haven't tried the garage-door opener to see if that door will open.

Kinda scary. However, I've got heat, food and the TV and computer, so guess I'm in good shape. If I need to get out - who'd want to go out in this stuff? - guess I could call 911.

Oh well, it'll probably be 70 degrees tomorrow. Or not.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-11-06 4:24 PM
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-11-06 4:45 PM (#21217 - in reply to #21209)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: HELP!!! I can't get out!

YOU HAVEN'T CALLED YET...what are you waiting for!!! 

REMINDER...when next you go to the store...buy a cheap hand held hair dryer...they work on anything of a "frozen nature".

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-06 5:10 PM (#21221 - in reply to #21209)

Great Sage of the Sea

I'd like to help, but I am unfamiliar with some of the terms you used.
What exactly is this "snow" you talk about? Blizzard I've seen, there's a Dairy Queen about 85 miles south of here. Those are good!

Life in the desert...

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-11-06 5:11 PM
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-11-06 8:13 PM (#21230 - in reply to #21209)

Master and Commander

Maybe we can get Ralph to put some chains on that old broke down
Greyhound we stole from Dex and we can come out there and shovel
you out. ...............................................Maybe not!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-06 8:29 PM (#21233 - in reply to #21209)
COMSUBBBS

Cora + snow =
Nothing can be finer than to be in Carolina! Hang in there girl! Warm weather is only 6 months away.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-11-06 8:29 PM (#21234 - in reply to #21209)
Master and Commander

When Eileen and I get snowed in, we pop Dr. Zhivago into the player and enjoy the show.

Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-06 8:36 PM (#21235 - in reply to #21217)

COMSUBBBS

Patti - The hair dryer is on the top of my list!!

It's 10:17 p.m. and both doors are still frozen shut! Haven't tried the garage door yet. I did call my closest neighbor (we share a town house) and she said not to try the garage door because if it opens, I will get a garage full of snow. She's been able to get out, and tells me that there's a humongous drift across my garage door. She also told me that I was NOT to try to dig out!

My daughter-in-law called, and she said that if they can get to town tomorrow, she will bring Kyle (15 year old grandson) in with her and he can dig me out! I'm not sure they can get to town, travel is "not advised" on any roads; I-90 is closed from Murdo, S.Dak. (east of the Missouri, I think) to a town into Wyoming. And if there's no school tomorrow (already announced), I'm not sure it's wise to try to drive in. If all else fails, I may call my handy man to come in and bring his shovel AND a hair dryer.

I've been busy "sorting" (my hobby), so haven't thought about it too much, but when I do, it's a strange feeling to know I can't even open either of my doors. There's about a two foot drift in front of the front door, so even if it wasn't frozen shut, I don't think I can move the snow.

Ah - for the life of a pioneer. Not!

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if there was a nice warm body to share my isolation. My husband used to have a saying for days like this.

Sigh.

Cora
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-11-07 2:52 AM (#21236 - in reply to #21235)

Old Salt

Corabelle - 2008-11-06 7:36 PMPatti - The hair dryer is on the top of my list!!

Cora...  the hair dryer will work on some things but don't try to defrost your windowpanes or other glass.  The heat can cause differential expansion in the glass and it may crack as a result.

Just a tip from an Alaskan used to dealing with frozen stuff...!
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-11-07 3:42 AM (#21237 - in reply to #21209)

Master and Commander

Subject: Keep that snow in SO.DAK

I've got a bunch of piping events to play in this weekend with all the Veteran's Day and USMC Birthday activities and standing in knee deep snow in a kilt while choking a cat is not my favorite thing to do. After Wednesday you can send it all our way and I'll forward it to Maine.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-07 5:43 AM (#21238 - in reply to #21209)
COMSUBBBS

Doc, does it help with the high notes?
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-11-07 8:41 AM (#21246 - in reply to #21238)

Master and Commander

Cora: I can commiserate with you. Same thing is happening here, except we have sun-drifts all over the place. They are running the sun plows up and down the streets, we must protect our eyes from the glare with sun glasses, and the girls on the beach are wearing their very heavy sun-bikinis. We must wade through 93 million miles of sun, just to get to the sun lounger in the back yard next to the pool. I had to use the sun shovel to clear a path out of the sun porch to the sun flower garden.
Life is rough!
RCK
Posted 2008-11-07 8:45 AM (#21247 - in reply to #21209)
Master and Commander

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are on their way. Unfortunately they are in Iowa and headed East!
Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-07 11:32 AM (#21249 - in reply to #21247)

COMSUBBBS

They're going the wrong way, Bob.

My very nice "attached" neighbor came and opened up the three foot drift blocking my front door. So, I can step out that door now. However, I've got a really, really big four foot drift across the bottom part of my driveway. The top part (next to the house) is nice, shiny, but bumpy ice. The high winds polished it into a skating rink.

Guess what? The weather man is predicting more snow this afternoon.

Sheesh!

Perhaps my son and grandson will come over after work and shovel out the driveway, just in case I would have to go somewhere.

However, "the fire is so inviting..." Don't have a fireplace, but it's nice and cozy inside.

Guess I'll do some more "sorting."

Wish I could get to the mailbox. Not worth a possible broken bone, though.

And Jon - it must be tough where you live. I'm so sorry for you.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-11-07 11:34 AM
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-07 2:31 PM (#21255 - in reply to #21249)

Master and Commander

Subject: Do us all a big favor, Corabelle.

You're in a safe spot, with all your real material needs (except companionship, I know) in your lair, just sit tight. Why go out in these conditions if you don't have to? If the situation deteriorates (lose heat, run out of food, etc.) contact your next-door neighbor, or if necessary 9-1-1.
If you were to get trapped outside ... well, we just don't want to got there.
Hang in there; you have your cyber-friends to keep you company.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-11-07 10:29 PM (#21268 - in reply to #21237)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Keep that snow in SO.DAK

Shovel it into trucks and send it West.

There are 4 lakes just east of me that will gladly take all the snow you can give us.

Water levels are so low, the ruins of the old mining towns that were covered when the dams were built are starting to show through the shallows.

Every time it looks like it might rain, some braying donkey or bellowing elephant makes a speech in L.A. or Sacramento, and a high-pressure dome develops and pushes the rain north into Oregon or Washington.

If this goes on much longer, there won't even be enough water for the ferschlugener Delta Smelt the enviros want to protect, let alone the people, or the farms that grow 75% of our food.

Coyote
Posted 2008-11-08 8:28 AM (#21276 - in reply to #21268)

Master and Commander

Donald L. Johnson - 2008-11-08 12:29 AM

If this goes on much longer, there won't even be enough water for the ferschlugener Delta Smelt the enviros want to protect, let alone the people, or the farms that grow 75% of our food.

Ferschlugener? I haven't seen that one in a while. Mad magazine, wasn't it?

Coyote
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-08 8:27 PM (#21301 - in reply to #21268)

Great Sage of the Sea

Donald L. Johnson - 2008-11-07 10:29 PM

Shovel it into trucks and send it West.

There are 4 lakes just east of me that will gladly take all the snow you can give us.

We drove up to Monterey two weeks ago and the San Luis Rey reservoir was lower than I've seen it in 20 years. I was amazed.

BB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software