Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Fleet Admiral Halsey in a book called "The Admirals" when asked "What is the ultimate strategic weapon that is bringing the enemy to its knees? Halsey's reply "If I had to give credit to the instruments and machines that won us the war in the Pacific, I would rank them in this order: SUBMARINES, FIRST; RADAR, SECOND; PLANES, THIRD AND BULLDOZERS FOURTH."
Well, it's started........ (rant)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2008-11-06 8:21 PM (#21231)

Plankowner

Subject: Well, it's started........ (rant)

.........Christmas ads are beginning and my list of products and stores I WON'T shop at or buy is growing. It isn't even Thanksgiving yet and the a**holes are starting this already. Really hacks me off. One holiday at a time. I noticed Costco had decorations up today so that one is one I won't be going back to until after Thanksgiving.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-11-07 5:46 AM (#21241 - in reply to #21231)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Well, it's started........ (rant)

My wife and I went into Target the other day and they've already got Christmas stuff out..very frustrating..
crystal
Posted 2008-11-07 5:52 AM (#21242 - in reply to #21231)

Master and Commander

Retailers on an average depend on about 37% (depending on who) of their annual income on the Christmas season alone, this year is proving to be the worse for same in over 30 years.  I can't really fault them for the concern, especially those that will have to close early next year because of lack of revenue (we're talking the mom and pop outfits here too)... This is truely a BAD, BAD economic time!
SOB490
Posted 2008-11-07 1:55 PM (#21254 - in reply to #21242)

Old Salt

>>>This is truely a BAD, BAD economic time!

What really worries me (and I'll reveal my relative snot-nosed youthfulness in this bunch with this one) I have voted in every election since JFK ran for President.

Every, and I do mean EVERY time for the last 4-6 months coming into each of those November elections, the economy has all of a sudden looked pretty good. And why not? Every Representative, 1/3 of the Senators, and of course, the incumbent President's party can fudge things to make the economy look good for a few months before the "real" bottom falls out ...

Suppose that pattern held this time as well? Suppose our economy looks better than it really is because of the s**tbird politicians' manipulations? How much worse are things really?

I dread to know the answer to that question but, unfortunately, we'll soon find out.
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-11-07 3:10 PM (#21256 - in reply to #21231)
Old Salt

Yep it's time to start spending money ya don't have. I got out of that habit a few years ago. I don't use credit cards. If I want something and don't have the cash I save. I find it's actually enjoyable. It gives me time to decide if the item I want is worth the cost. I believe that is the big problem with the younger people today. They have the ability to buy something on impulse and don't think about finding the item for less. For instance I recently found a clothing bag made by Vitronox at a Goodwill store for $8.00. I checked and found the same bag offered on the Internet for over $100.00. Same with clothing. And I feel that every time I shop a Goodwill or Salvation Army my money goes to help someone who needs it not some corporate board members who sell the store to the highest bidder without considering the people on the sales floor trying to make ends meet. (oops, didn't mean to rant so...)
Steve
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-07 6:51 PM (#21259 - in reply to #21231)

Admin

Costco had Christmas dec's up huh?  Damn, isn't this the board that bitched about Costco NOT acknowledging Christmas only 12 months ago?  Can't call it Christmas... but the "fall holiday" or "season's greetings" or whatever?

Guess they can't win... decking the halls with boughs of Holly.... bitch, bi, bi ,biiiitch,, ba, biiiiitch, ba, biiiiittcchhhh.....

Sleigh bells, ribbon, offers of free gift wrap, photos of Santa... damn, those Communist bastards!!!!

What next... they'll want to fly the American flag in the parking lot I suppose.... scumbags!!!!!

If this is what Zydeco is doing to you Ricci... go back to SQUARE dancin' shipmate.  LOL... (ping....)

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-07 6:52 PM (#21260 - in reply to #21259)

Admin

Oh I forgot... you're a SLUT too....
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-07 6:53 PM (#21261 - in reply to #21260)

Admin

And even uglier than Stoops....
snakeyez
Posted 2008-11-07 7:46 PM (#21262 - in reply to #21231)

Senior Crew

The Marines are already at our local Wal-Marts in support of Toys For Tots, a really nice Christmas project every year.

I could do without the Christmas music blaring inside the store, however.

I've seen a couple of houses with lights up and burning already!
Stoops
Posted 2008-11-07 7:55 PM (#21263 - in reply to #21261)
Master and Commander

Don Gentry - 2008-11-07 6:53 PM

And even uglier than Stoops....

Hell, everyone is uglier than Stoops, you jealous jezebel!

Eat your heart out, you miserable naturally challenged twits!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ric
Posted 2008-11-07 9:53 PM (#21265 - in reply to #21259)

Plankowner

Subject: Dear Donny.....

... it started long before Zydeco. I has always ticked me off that you can't just have a holiday and enjoy it before the next one in the name of the almighty dollar starts to overlap it or just ignore it because there is no money in it for them. I have most of my adult life refused to buy from companies that start a holiday before one or two others have arrived and been celebrated. Not many place get my money. Their loss not mine.
Ric
Posted 2008-11-07 9:58 PM (#21266 - in reply to #21262)

Plankowner

I once worked for a store fixture supply house. I started near the end of June. On July 1 OUR Christmas season began. I listened to Christmas music all day and handled Christmas decorations for 6 months. I quit 3 days before Christmas. Was over twenty years before I could listen to Christmas music with out going into shock.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software