Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
History
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Land Lubber
Posted 2008-11-07 3:43 PM (#21257)
Old Salt

Subject: History

I can undertand what Dex is saying about our holidays and traditions. I know people who beleve that the attack on the Alamo was part of the Mexican War. I used to know a guy who had trouble understanding that WWII was being fought against Germany and Japan at the same time. I have seen people at parades remain seated as the American Flag passes them. I see people at ball games clutching a beer in their right hand while the National Anthem is played instead of placing their hand over their heart.
It has become the standard now to have some celebrity sing the National Anthem especially at a televised game. Every one comments about how well the person sang. There is nothing wrong with that but... when the Anthem is playing how many people think about the men who have given their all to protect and defend our contry?
A pet peave of mine is Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. (good speach), In the speach Lincoln stated that people will little remember what is said (on the day of the speach) but wll long remember what the solders had done there. Well today, in school a child is taught the speach but not the deeds.
You wonderful guys who rode the boats in the Cold War, who defended our country during the Cuban Missle Crisis and numerous untold encounters with vessels of countries that had every intent to harm our country if possible, your story is not being told and that is a terrible shame. After teaching a child how to read, write and perfom math, I feel the most important study should be history. I believe that it is our history and traditions that keep our country strong. I may be wrong. I may be a product of a now old outdated educational system but that's me.
What do you guys think?
Steve
viejo
Posted 2008-11-07 8:03 PM (#21264 - in reply to #21257)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: History

Steve, not having an interest in history is part of the decline in our education values. Many of us here belong to USSVI and one of the most unique things about it is our creed. If we practice our creed, that means that we try and educate the people around us to what our shipmates who gave all fought and died for. That is why our memorials and Museum Boats are so important. Also the articles, books, and other things that are in our museums. We won't change the education system, but we can continue to spread the word and get others interested in submarines and submariners. I find that lots of people are interested in submarine history, especially when they can go on a museum boat and learn a little about how these WWII guys lived. It is no accident that some of the most active and productive members of USSVI are associate members like Nancy, Lance, and others. Also there are people like Paul Farace, John Faken, Lesley from the Drum (all associate members of a base or bases) , the guys who work on the Batfish and many others who may be associate members or may not be members of USSVI at all, but they all share a love of the boats and what went on with them. Lance recently took his sunday school class of kids up to the Drum. They all had fun and learned a lot. I find the best thing to do is to work with what you have and those you can be around and if enough of us do our part, then our country will stay strong. I realize after the recent election that takes a lot of faith, but we still have our Constitution and we do have people who are interested in and enjoy history. In some ways, I don't worry too much about what they learn about history in school as so much that is written today is false and just put there to prove a belief or to hide what someone doesn't like. With the internet, people who want to can learn far more about the world than I could when I went through school. WE have many sources here on the internet that we can let people know about. Some list the facts, others like the stories of Dex, Mike and others make those facts more interesting and fun to remember. I also think that as important if not more important is to know the reasons behind the wars and what started and went on in them, than perhaps remembering some of the dates and other facts we had to remember. I remember more now because I have had the time to research what brought about the wars and the lives of people who played key parts in them. The dates and sometimes just who all was involved at a certain place or time I forget, but I see repeated over and over the greed and lack of caring that causes wars to happen. But there is for sure, plenty of opportunity to go out in the community and get people to learn more about our subs and those who rode them.
Viejo
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-07 10:05 PM (#21267 - in reply to #21264)

Master and Commander

Subject: Re: avatar

Viejo: where's your cover, cowboy?
(((PING!)))
viejo
Posted 2008-11-08 5:42 AM (#21272 - in reply to #21267)

Senior Crew

Here's one of when I was around 12 (in the avatar slot) and then one when I was at the prototype in Idaho in 63. So you can see I have worn one for a long time. Used to have one of around 3 or 4 years old, with a sombrero on.
Viejo

Edited by viejo 2008-11-08 9:29 AM

(Bill on horse_edited3 .jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bill on horse_edited3 .jpg (63KB - 679 downloads)
SOB490
Posted 2008-11-08 11:59 AM (#21285 - in reply to #21272)

Old Salt

Good grief! Looks like Crint Westwood! Wheredja git the horse? Nobody could be that young, not even an Iowan!
viejo
Posted 2008-11-08 3:51 PM (#21293 - in reply to #21285)

Senior Crew

Well, there was this girl. Need I say more. Ed was the horse's name and he was a great quarterhorse stallion. Could cut on a dime and didn't mind me blasting at birds and rabbits while riding him. The girl's father had three ranches up between Baker and Salmon, so that is where I spent my long days off when at the prototype. I must have been 21 then, but being so innoncent, I'm sure I looked younger,(Grin). Idaho was probably the best state to hunt in that I have ever lived in. Many fond memories of that place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software