Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS R-6 was fitted the first prototype US submarine snorkel at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the closing months of the European part of WW II in April / May 1945 and successfully tested it off Fort Lauderdale, Fl. as the war against Japan ended in August 1945. The snorkel was removed from the USS R-6 and she was decommissioned and scrapped in September 1945.
Miss Cora...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-11-10 9:00 AM (#21343)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Miss Cora...

Have the "drifts" drifted away yet???  I haven't looked at the weather for out there today.  Hope all is well.

Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-10 7:30 PM (#21371 - in reply to #21343)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Miss Cora...

No they haven't! I think it's gonna be a while. That's the short answer.

The first blizzard of this season began on Wednesday afternoon, and lasted all day Thursday. I was, literally frozen in my house. The back, sliding screen door was frozen shut. I could not get out that door. The front door had a three foot high drift, and since my storm door opens outward, there was no way I could get out that door either. I didn't try the garage door, because I thought that maybe there was enough snow against the door, that it would put too much of a strain on the opener, and maybe burn it out.

I talked to my attached neighbor on the phone, and she was able to get out her front door. She told me not to try to open the garage door, because there was a LOT of snow up against it, and if it opened, I would have a garage full of snow. So, I was stuck inside all day Thursday. That was okay, because the winds were really strong, and even though it had almost quit snowing in the afternoon, the snow on the ground was still blowing all over.

On Friday, Minda (my neighbor) dug out my front door, and I used a spoon to dig out as much ice as I could along the inside track of the sliding screen door, so finally I could open that one also.

Later in the afternoon, Minda went outside again, and started working on the driveway. Her side had been blown pretty clean, the big four foot drift was across my side of the driveway. She opened up hers, and cleaned out the part of mine that was closest to the house, so if I needed to get out, I could angle around and exit on her side of the driveway. A lot of people (mostly men) were outside, clearing out their driveways, and the sidewalk close to the street. Two men, after they did their own driveways, came over and helped Minda move snow.

Then - as usual - shortly after most everyone had cleaned their driveways, a city plow came along and plowed the street. You guessed it - when they cleaned out the street, they pushed lots of snow across all the driveways which had been shoveled out; including ours.

Saturday morning my son and his wife and their fourteen-year-old son came over and cleaned that mess out, plus shoveled more snow off the driveway. By this time, the snow had pretty much turned to ice, so I believe I now have my very own glacier in my front yard. Later on, that same day, one of our neighbors, who had purchased a new snow-blower came over and opened up the sidewalk through that glacier, which is still across the bottom part of my side of the driveway. I'm getting pretty good at maneuvering around over to Minda's side of the driveway to get out.

I am very fortunate because I have such good neighbors and family. There is no possible way that I could have moved any of that snow. My neighbors are pretty quiet; we never see them very often, but when the need was there, so were they! Since I don't bake cookies anymore, I think that I should buy some almost-homemade-ones and deliver them around the neighborhood.

Deadwood, South Dakota, which is about 30 miles northwest of us, made the national news with their 45 inches of snow.

And that's the long answer.

And Ralph - aren't you sorry that you don't have as interesting a life as I do? Eat your heart out!

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-11-13 10:39 PM
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-11-10 8:33 PM (#21375 - in reply to #21371)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Miss Cora...does it look like either one of these...

GLACIERS...

(reun2007-70.jpg)

(reun2007-71.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments reun2007-70.jpg (28KB - 622 downloads)
Attachments reun2007-71.jpg (16KB - 618 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-10 8:48 PM (#21378 - in reply to #21375)

COMSUBBBS

Yes - the top one.

Is the bottom one Mendenhall? Don't think I spelled that right.

Cora
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-11-10 9:05 PM (#21382 - in reply to #21378)

COMSUBBBS

YEP, THAT'S MENDENHALL...you know your glaciers...we were there on a really bad day, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world...and I'd do it again in a heartbeat...SEA SICKNESS et al!

(P.S.-the top one is Hubbard)

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2008-11-10 9:07 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-11 8:43 AM (#21399 - in reply to #21343)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Miss Cora...

MENDENHALL?????????? You can't fool me/us. That's Cora's front yard without a doubt. Just over that hunk of ice is Rapid City, South Dakota. Ya know, I can understand there being a North Dakota, but, a "South"? Should be called something like "Still Cold Dakota". The Dakota's are like all places north of the Mason-Dixon Line and that latitude and that is they are nice places to be from------- FAR FROM.
To keep it submarine related------ I'm looking for that thermocline.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-11-11 8:45 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software