Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Habitability is heavily stressed in the construction of modern submarines. Specially designed color schemes, mechanical conveniences, air conditioning, and the best chow in the Navy are supplied to make the vessels more livable. A full time staff is maintained by Electric Boat Division to work out 'human engineering' problems.
About me, In response to Ralph Luther
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

LRod
Posted 2008-11-10 5:23 PM (#21367)
New on board

Subject: About me, In response to Ralph Luther

Welcome aboard LRod. Sounds like you've got some sailing by the rags experience. Tell us a little about yourself.

Nah, I just read a lot. Never been in the service, but I was in the gummint for 30 years (air traffic controller). Most of the guys I worked with had been in the service, my parents were in the service, as was my brother and about five of my cousins. I have several friends who had service time, including two on boomers. And I have a special friend, of whom I ask all my raghat lore questions who's a retired CPO (fang fairy). I introduced him once as a "former CPO", the notion of which he disabused me smartly ("there are no former Marines, there are no former chief petty officers--once a Chief, always a Chief"). Oh, another friend served as a sparks on Mother Onion's sister ship, USS Proteus.

I've been interested in sailing as long as I can remember, have read all the Patrick O'Brian books and have picked up over the years what the different rigs are. I know a ketch from a yawl, a sloop from a schooner, a ship from a brig, and a bark from a brigantine. Not that there's much to that for a salt, but there aren't a lot of landlubbers who can.

I came here because I found Dex' After Battery series a while back (read 'em twice), and finally tracked him down. I'm also an Armstrong, but 3 generations back and all on the female side, so it's probably bred out of me.

Since I'll be regarded as something of an interloper with no military experience in general, nor Navy experience (and nothing in subs) in particular, I'll try to keep a very low profile. I know what it's like to belong to something of an elite group (I was a controller in Chicago for 25 years) and I know what it's like when wannabes or poseurs try to play. I'm just here for the articles.

LRod

Edited by LRod 2008-11-11 9:58 AM
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-10 11:46 PM (#21385 - in reply to #21367)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: About me, In response to Ralph Luther

Welcome aboard!

BB
steamboat
Posted 2008-11-11 3:13 AM (#21389 - in reply to #21367)
Master and Commander

Welcome aboard, L-Rod. If you were an air traffic controller at Ohara, you had a much more responsible and tedious job than any of us had. Talk about having lives in your hands, your is it. I don't know how you handled the pressure at a busy field like Ohara.
Drop down the after battery, grab a black and bitter and watch the monkeys in this tree house play!Steamboat sends
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-11 8:21 AM (#21396 - in reply to #21367)
COMSUBBBS

I came here because I found Dex' After Battery series a while back (read 'em twice), and finally tracked him down. I'm also an Armstrong, but 3 generations back and all on the female side, so it's probably bred out of me.

What a brave individual you are to admit that in public We'll have to check with our in house "Richard Smith's" if it is actually possible to breed out of such a situation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software