Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
I went to the National HQ for the NRA today
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-11-10 11:46 PM (#21386)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I went to the National HQ for the NRA today

I'm a member of the National Rifle Association but had never been to the National Headquarters since it moved to Fairfax from downtown Washington DC. Very impressive. If you visit The D.C. area, and can find the time I highly recommend setting aside the time to visit the Headquarters of the NRA and the National Firearms Museum in Fairfax....really worth the effort. (Phone (703) 267-1600) (Web Site www.nrahq.org/shooting/museum). A year or so, Jon Krup, a family friend and regular posting rascal on this magic carpet ride....loaned me a most wonderful book....I would like to join Jon in recommending this book to anyone with a sense of high adventure and who would like a window into the world of master big game hunters and the kind of adventure young lads fall asleep dreaming of....Peter Hathaway Capstick's DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS is such a book. When I walked into the gift shop in the National Firearms Museum, there was DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS featured as highly recommended reading. I now have my very own copy and plan to start it tomorrow night...for the second time. Jon Krup has never loaned me a bad read....He has the same sense of what constitutes adventure I have. Again...The National Firearms Museum is Alladin's Cave for guys who have an affinity for any form of gun...long arms and handguns. And...Go out and find a copy of DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS. DEX
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-11-11 8:32 AM (#21397 - in reply to #21386)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: I went to the National HQ for the NRA today

Well you're hooked now, DEX.

Capstick wrote several more books with Death in the title and I'm sure you'll want more after the first one.

He's looked down upon, for some reason, among outdoor writers but I like his work and have all his books.

He is a helluva yarn spinner... hmmmm, reminds me of someone else I know.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software