Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds." -- Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz
Alittlr Wine Knowledge
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-11-14 6:46 AM (#21490)
Master and Commander

Subject: Alittlr Wine Knowledge

Wine for Dinner: November '08
By: Carl Hanson

What would the Pilgrims pair?

Wine Tip
This might seem overly indulgent, but what I like to do at Thanksgiving dinner is pour small pours from several wine bottles into several glasses. Usually I’ll hit upon a clear winner after a few sips, one wine that goes with the most dishes, and then I’ll stick to that single wine. And since everyone has different tastes and preferences, providing options is a great way to go.

Related Links
Pie and Dessert Recipes
Recipes for Cranberries
Recipes for Dressings and Stuffings
Gravy Recipes
Recipes for Mashed Potatoes
Turkey Recipes
Thanksgiving Recipes
Thanksgiving Tips & Advice Collection
Perfect Wine Pairings
Lately, I've been revisiting Andrew Barr's award-winning book about American boozing habits, Drink: A Social History of America.

Among other things, Barr drops some fascinating facts about the Pilgrims’ arrival in the New World. I did not know, for instance, that the working sailors on the Mayflower deposited their guests prematurely in order to protect their dwindling supply of beer.

Had the sailors' suds held out, Barr suggests the Pilgrims would have been delivered further south, where they were actually intending to go. But alas, the poor Pilgrim's were punted off the ship at Plymouth…and forced to drink water.

Turns out, the Pilgrims were not puritanical teetotalers. They partook freely in beer, booze, and wine when they could get it. A generation later, Increase Mather cautioned his flock only that they refrain from drinking "a cup of wine more than is good for him." Of course, the extra cup is a measure typically identified only after it's been dumped down the hatch.

But that's beside the point. What is the point? Only this, I'm trying to decide what a Pilgrim would drink for Thanksgiving?

I did a little further digging in Barr's book and uncovered another interesting tidbit. It turns out the Mayflower, before being commissioned by English Separatists, was used to ship wine from Bordeaux to England.

And Bordeaux-style wines, it turns out, are not bad at all with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Bordeaux reds are fine, food-friendly blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and a couple other lesser-known grapes from the region.

So this Thanksgiving, I'll be looking for light styles of Bordeaux, perhaps a couple bottles with a few years on them, preferably low on the alcohol side. It will be my little tribute to the Mayflower's early career as a workhorse for carting clarets to London.

Also, as a nod to the truly American aspect of the meal, I'll keep a couple bottles of fruity Zinfandel on the table. Again, I'll favor a lighter style rather than the big Zins that are delicious but high in alcohol and potentially overwhelming ? to both dinner and diner. When I drink heavy, high-alcohol wines with Thanksgiving dinner, I always run the risk midway through the meal of pitching forward asleep into the gravy boat. (Not impressive to the in-laws.)

I'll also have a dry, lowish-alcohol Riesling or two within reach. Riesling should complement Thanksgiving spices like cloves and nutmeg. A sparkling rosé would be nice, too, because it's fruity, food friendly, and the sparkle washes the palate clean leaving you prepared to greet new flavors.

At any rate, I hope these suggestions are helpful. Drop me a line. Let me know what you think! What worked? What didn't? What are your all-time favorite Thanksgiving wines? Share your thoughts, and maybe we'll see your recommendations in next year's Thanksgiving wine column.

But above all, have a happy Thanksgiving.

SOB490
Posted 2008-11-14 9:07 AM (#21496 - in reply to #21490)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Alittlr Wine Knowledge

I don't see Thunderbird mentioned anywhere - what you got against a drinking man's wine, anyway?

I'm ashamed to admit to all of the rotgut swill I've inhaled in years past - and really thank my wife for exposing me to decent wines. Living literally a few driving minutes away from one of California's premiere wine regions (Napa & Sonoma Valleys), we've found some excellent domestics.

One winery in particular, Viansa, does a phenominal job with its reds, refuses to use tannin, and, therefore, serves a product that doesn't give me a headache from hell.

But there are other producers as well. The ones we've grown to appreciate are relatively small and don't distribute very far, if at all, outside of their own sales rooms. I personally believe that factor contributes to their success. The biggies who produce by the railroad tankcar seem to lose that quality touch that the smaller vinters are able to maintain.

Something else I've learned to appreciate - this business of matching wines with dishes is more of a elite snob gimmick than it is a real consideration to many folks.

Some top wine critics (like Robert Parker, for example) now acknowledge that reds can compliment fish and fowl every bit as well as the traditional whites -- because some folks truly enjoy a good red and they select to satisfy their taste instead of what some expert tells them they should serve. I presume the same is true of serving some whites with beef.

Now all I have to perfect is that extended pinkie bit and I'll be fully housebroken.

Edited by SOB490 2008-11-14 9:28 AM
RCK
Posted 2008-11-14 9:23 AM (#21498 - in reply to #21490)
Master and Commander

I' ve journeyed down the Valley a couple of times sampling the various wines. I really enjoyed the trip and scenery. Barrenger's sticks in my mind. It was fairly small at that time but main house was really nice especially the million dollar doors. I thought the wine was really good there too. I haven't tried too many of the small winery products lately but I bet there are some real good ones out there. I would probably prefer the Reds just on account of the health benefits tauted by the one glass a day promotions.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-14 9:32 AM (#21499 - in reply to #21490)

Great Sage of the Sea

We go twice a year or so for a long weekend to some of the different wineries to taste and buy. Hollister, Carmel Valley, Amador County, etc. Haven't made it to Napa yet but I belong to a wine club there and get bottles quarterly. We've also started trying to taste local wines from whatever state we are in. Every state in the country now has at least one winery. We've so far had wines from CA, WA, OR, AZ, NV, CT, MI, and MA. Some are pretty bad but the fun is in the search...

BB
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-11-14 10:20 AM (#21506 - in reply to #21490)

Old Salt

I had a happy experience at the Mondavi vinyard one Sunday afternoon in the '80s.

After a day of sampling at various estates my girlfriend and I pulled in to Mondavi as a last stop before heading back to the city.

There, in concert, was the Dave Brubeck Quartet entertaining the customers.

A nice ending to a beautiful day.
John396
Posted 2008-11-14 10:35 AM (#21508 - in reply to #21496)
Old Salt

I don't see Thunderbird mentioned anywhere, and what about white port & lemon juice.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-11-14 11:06 AM (#21510 - in reply to #21490)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Bob, I would think that when your face lands in the gravy boat,

...it would make a big impression on your in-laws.

Cora
RCK
Posted 2008-11-14 11:32 AM (#21511 - in reply to #21510)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Bob, I would think that when your face lands in the gravy boat,

A face full of gravy might make me better lookin
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-11-14 2:42 PM (#21520 - in reply to #21490)
Old Salt

I like Kendall Jackson wines from California. Lately I've drank some very good tasting wines imported from Austrailia. Can't recall the names off hand but tasty and inexpensive.
Steve
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-11-14 3:09 PM (#21522 - in reply to #21490)

Master and Commander

Subject: I started making my own as a hobby

Tonight I'm enjoying the fruits of my own labor and enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio I made myself. It still has some aging to do to bring it to it's finest but it is very nice. I also just bottled a very nice Chateau du Roi which is a dry red. Great hobby and you get to drink both your mistakes and successes.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-11-14 3:09 PM
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-14 5:04 PM (#21526 - in reply to #21499)

Master and Commander

BlackBeard - 2008-11-14 10:32 AMWe go twice a year or so for a long weekend to some of the different wineries to taste and buy. Hollister, Carmel Valley, Amador County, etc. BB

My youngest brother grows grapes in Amador County, in the Shennandoah Valley outside of Plymouth. It's his retirement gig as a 'gentleman farmer'. Amador County was my stomping grounds as a high schooler (Jackson Union High). The earth up there makes for some good reds. He grows Merlot, I think and sells to local wineries.
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-14 5:06 PM (#21527 - in reply to #21498)

Master and Commander

RCK - 2008-11-14 10:23 AMI' ve journeyed down the Valley a couple of times sampling the various wines. I really enjoyed the trip and scenery. Barrenger's Berringer's sticks in my mind. It was fairly small at that time but main house was really nice especially the million dollar doors. I thought the wine was really good there too. I haven't tried too many of the small winery products lately but I bet there are some real good ones out there. I would probably prefer the Reds just on account of the health benefits tauted by the one glass a day promotions.

There ... fixed it for you.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-15 12:41 PM (#21539 - in reply to #21526)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2008-11-14 5:04 PM

He grows Merlot,

I thought you said he grows grapes for wine... :p'''''

BB
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-11-15 2:02 PM (#21540 - in reply to #21490)
Master and Commander

With no cooth at all, I will serve last years Hard Cider and Muscadine Wine for Thanksgiving. Both home made. As far as forgotten wines of our youth, what about Boonesfarm?
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-16 12:57 AM (#21561 - in reply to #21490)

Great Sage of the Sea

I had a bottle of Boones Farm until last summer. A friend gave it as a joke and I held on to it for about 4 years. Last summer I gave it to a friend who really loves wine, for her 50th b-day. No one has yet been brave enough to open/taste it. I figure I'll se it again when I hit 50.

BB
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-11-16 12:57 AM (#21562 - in reply to #21490)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: ---

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-11-16 12:57 AM
Coyote
Posted 2008-11-16 10:51 PM (#21581 - in reply to #21490)

Master and Commander

We'll be doing a Chalk Hill chardonnay from California pre-dinner, and a 2005 Linden wineries Avenius Sauvignon Blanc from Virginia and/or an excellent table white wine by Mad Fish of Western Australia (in honoUr of Blue) with the bird.

Afterward, Cuarenta y Tres (43) from Spain for the ladies and a good port or Asbach brandy for the gentlemen.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Regards, Coyote
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software