Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: During their wartime operations submarines have engaged in some unusual maritime actions. One undersea craft slugged it out with the infantry and field artillery while other submarines destroyed a zeppelin, a bus, and a railroad train.
Arlington Burial plans for Ron Smith set.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

ELT627
Posted 2008-11-18 1:21 PM (#21619)
Mess cooking

Subject: Arlington Burial plans for Ron Smith set.

Georgianna Smith called me with the burial information for Ron Smith at Arlington National Cemetary. thanks are given to Dex Armstrong for taking care of all the details for this.
All who wish to come are welcome.
The service will be held in the Old Post Chapel at 1100 hours on March 17, with in ground burial. Submariners are invited to wear their vests. The spring date was chosen to allow those who wished to be present, time to make their arrangements.

It would be nice to have a bunch of submariners there to support Georgianna and the family. I will be there.
Gil
Stoops
Posted 2008-11-18 3:02 PM (#21620 - in reply to #21619)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Arlington Burial plans for Ron Smith set.

Gil, Thanks for posting this and thanks for the email. I echo your gratitude to Dex for arranging all the details. One can only wonder at how difficult that must be, even for someone who knows is way around the DC environment.

One of Ron's greatest attributes was his loyalty to his friends.....He appeared to be gruff at times, but that was his passion for what he believed in....and we need more folks that are passionate about our nation, our military, and our heritage.

I'll miss Ron. And my prayers for with Georgiana and his family

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-18 8:01 PM (#21631 - in reply to #21619)

Master and Commander

Well with my current plans, I will be in the States.

'If' I can do so, I will do my best to be there. It was a pleasure to have met Warshot back in 2004.

Blue *_*
Runner485
Posted 2008-11-19 7:23 AM (#21638 - in reply to #21619)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks to Gil & Dex for setting this up for the Smith family.

Gil/Dex, is it possible to get an address for the Chapel, so it can be plugged into GPS units/Google mapped. Many of us are very unfamiliar with DC and it's environs.

I know we used a GPS unit to get to the chapel for Solveig's funeral but we still got lost and had to stop for directions to find the correct gate.

If that doesn't work, how about Loran fixes.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-11-19 7:57 AM (#21640 - in reply to #21619)

Great Sage of the Sea

Directions to Ft. Myer..

http://www.fmmc.army.mil/sites/newcomers/directions.asp
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-19 8:03 AM (#21641 - in reply to #21619)
COMSUBBBS

I hope to be there also.
Bear
Posted 2008-11-19 9:24 AM (#21644 - in reply to #21619)

Great Sage of the Sea

I would like to attend but can not, would someone please say the appropriate words for there for me. I will visi there in the the spring when I make what will probably be my last trip east at least for another 10 to 15 years. My first engineer Geoff Kirkland passed away in August and he is to be buried in Arlington Next week on 24th. I have decided that I will be buried in Mt Tahoma, wife is opposed to burying at sea.
Coyote
Posted 2008-11-19 3:23 PM (#21659 - in reply to #21619)

Master and Commander

The chapel is at 38*52'51.5"N, 77*04'44.3"W.

Regards, Coyote

Edited by Coyote 2008-11-19 9:18 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-11-19 8:29 PM (#21664 - in reply to #21619)

COMSUBBBS

As things are set at present....Georgianna will ship Ron's remains and has authorized me to receive them and convey them to the chapel at Fort Myer. There used to be a saloon within a block of the rear gate at Fort Myer, called WHITEY'S....but the owner died last year and they closed the place. It was where service messmates went after funeral services to hoist a few, in the tradition of Irish wakes and old time bluejacket send offs.....I'm trying to find out if there is another establishment that has taken over the tradition. There's a non-commissioned officers club at Myer and any Sgt. or CPO (active duty or retired) could work with them and we could all chip in to secure a room with the club selling cold beer to those of us who would like to get together to celebrate the life of our beloved lost shipmate. I'm going to propose this to Olgoat once we get a handle on the level of the boatsailor turnout. Those of us who live in the D.C. area and attend funerals at Arlington, wear our SubVets vests (either WWII SubVets vests or USSVI vests). As a matter of fact, Ron wore his at Solveig's memorial service. I would like to see a Submariner turnout commencerate with the high regard Ron was held in by the entire Submarine community. Please help get the word out. I am calling Geogianna tomorrow to let her know that I've linked up with Mr. Vogelson, the Arlington National Cemetery service coordinator assigned to Georgianna....and everything has been laid on in accordance with her expressed wishes. Thanks Gil....Gil I'm here if you need any question asked of Arlington or need me to run down anything...My phone (703) 971-3092. DEX
Darrin
Posted 2008-11-20 4:19 AM (#21666 - in reply to #21619)

Great Sage of the Sea

Dex,
put me on the list of who will be there for Ron's service. Let me know if you need any help
steamboat
Posted 2008-11-20 5:57 AM (#21668 - in reply to #21619)
Master and Commander

Gil & Dex,
Lord willing I will be there.
Steamboat sends
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-11-20 9:10 AM (#21670 - in reply to #21668)

Master and Commander

Gil & Dex:

I want to be there, but for me it will be a 3+ day treck from California. Pencil me in for now.

I have met Warshot many times, and I miss him.
Ric
Posted 2008-11-20 9:52 AM (#21671 - in reply to #21619)

Plankowner

I met Ron on a number of occasions and Torsk work parties, pencil me in.

I checked Amtrak and I can do this, barely, for about $330.00 plus food. Still waiting for Social Security to kick in. Where are folks going to stay? I'm on a very limited budget. Will take 3 days to get there from Seattle and 3 days back from DC.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-20 1:48 PM (#21678 - in reply to #21619)
COMSUBBBS

I did a google search on a hotel near DC in Springfield, VA. It's a Best Western with shuttle service to/ from the airport, amtrak and the metro. Room rate by Priceline.com is $65/nite. That's the least expensive I found so far.
We might get a special if enough want to stay there. I don't know if the $65 is per person or just the room rate. I'll call for more info if y'all are interested.Send me an email or PM.
Steamboat, if you are still interested in riding up together let me know.
Ric
Posted 2008-11-20 2:14 PM (#21679 - in reply to #21678)

Plankowner

If that is a room rate I'm willing to share with someone.

Ric
steamboat
Posted 2008-11-20 3:36 PM (#21682 - in reply to #21678)
Master and Commander

You bet, Ralph. I could meet you at the Emporia exit of I-95. Will Sharon be coming? The Best Western rate sounds really great!
Steamboat sends
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-20 3:47 PM (#21683 - in reply to #21678)

Master and Commander

...going by the meal rates, it might be an idea if people pack a lunch...or three for their stay there.

People get a laugh out of my 'It was so expensive in Washington DC I could only afford half a cup' cup which actually is, 1/2 a cup.

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-20 5:12 PM (#21684 - in reply to #21619)
COMSUBBBS

Cost of meals there are about the same as in Sydney. We could all go over to a near by McDonald's or run over to Dex's place for peanut butter and jelly sandwitchs.

Steamboat, we can work out the details closer to the date. I doubt Sharon would go.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-11-20 5:14 PM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-20 7:08 PM (#21686 - in reply to #21684)

Master and Commander

you obviously ate at the wrong places when in Sydney. From memory I recall you raising your eyebrows when seeing the prices when we all went out!

The thing to recall when you were in Oz is that we get paid more.

and another thing, you need to learn how to reply to the correct post....it ain't hard - even POD could do it!

Blue *_*
Curt
Posted 2008-11-21 3:26 AM (#21689 - in reply to #21619)

Old Salt

I will be there.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-21 6:15 AM (#21696 - in reply to #21686)
COMSUBBBS

If you are getting paid more than you ought not mind the prices here, Mate. Got to admit though that the prices in the DC area are more than most places in the rest of the country.
Curt
Posted 2008-11-21 7:53 AM (#21699 - in reply to #21619)

Old Salt

Roy asked me to help...

Click: http://www.cdhaggard.com/warshot.htm

Edited by Curt 2008-11-21 7:55 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-21 9:39 AM (#21701 - in reply to #21699)
COMSUBBBS

That would sure help out, Curt, seeing as how you are there in the area.
I emailed you.
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-21 12:15 PM (#21703 - in reply to #21679)

Master and Commander

Subject: I don't know, Ric!

My understanding is that only another one of the Bash at the Ranch Sluts er, 'Girls' would dare try sharing a room with you.
But then what do I know?
Darrin
Posted 2008-11-21 3:37 PM (#21709 - in reply to #21619)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ric,
CHANGE your destination to Williamsburg or Newport News because you are staying with me here at Ft. Eustis, I will be more then happy to put you up and feed you while you are here at my home (this a standing rule in my home for ALL subvets). A mutual friend and I have always done the IF Ric shows up in our area we will take care of you no matter what, right now I am going to take the day or two off and bring MadDawg with me in my quad cab dodge truck.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software