Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." Sir Winston Churchill
Thanksgiving 2008 - Speak Up
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-26 9:43 PM (#21909)

Admin

Subject: Thanksgiving 2008 - Speak Up

This is a "sticky post" so it will stay up for a few days: What is Thanksgiving all about for you this year?

For us, #2 son and wife bought their first house and will be hosting the festivities this year - for the first time in countless years away from "home."  For me, logisitics get in the way as recent tradition has the main courses being oven baked turkey, oven baked ham and a smoked turkey.  Given the smoker is WAY too heavy to transport to #2 son's place and I have no inclination to spend 6 hours smoking a turkey all by my lonesome, we'll change things up this year and the smoked turkey will give way to five pounds of smoked salmon which I can do in an hour and a half and transport to the party site and not miss out on much of anything.

The hometown pigskinners will be playing on national tv - sorry about that

Oh yeah, that lovely bird I bought to smoke, it'll get a long, slow smoke a week from now and will be distributed throughout the family for "turkey sammiches, round two."  Hopefully, Mike Hemming will chime in with some post-turkey sammich suggestions (I'm sure some onions will be in order)

Happy Thanksgiving Shipmates.... Don

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-11-26 10:15 PM (#21910 - in reply to #21909)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Thanksgiving 2008 - Speak Up

This year, Thanksgiving is a glass half-full/half empty sort of thing.

It is the first time ever (for us) having Thanksgiving without my parents. Dad got his Final Orders on Veterans' Day last year, and Mom followed in April, after a 3-year battle with the dreaded colon cancer. Their ashes sit side-by-side on the fireplace hearth, waiting for spring, to be planted with the geraniums under the mulberry trees in the back yard.

The good news is, for the first time in a long time, neither I nor either of my two sisters will be hosting the party. My youngest sister's fiancee is hosting at his family's ranch, and I don't even have to bring rolls or make a Jello salad. Feels weird, but I'll survive.

So we are thankful that after a long and interesting life, our parents are together again in that far-away land with no pain or sickness, good weather, and all the family, friends, and Dad's Shipmates that went before they did.

We are thankful that we are all relatively healthy, have roofs over our heads, and jobs that pay the bills.

We are thankful that little sister Linda has found a good man to partner with.

We are thankful for all the loving family, friends, and Shipmates & Ladies who surround us, in good times and bad.

And we are thankful that we live in the land where, if you work hard, you can achieve just about anything you can imagine, and that good men and women are willing to fight to keep it that way.

We thank God for all these things, and more.

We have each other, and we have enough - for ourselves, and some to share.

May God grant you all the same.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-27 2:18 AM (#21912 - in reply to #21909)
COMSUBBBS

Here at my home we have much to be thankful for, such as, our health and living in the land of the free. We are thankful for our many friends and Shipmates that contribute to our enjoyable life.
We also offer up our hopes and prayers to those of our Shipmates and friends that are having a tough time with their health or health of their loved ones. We offer up hopes and prayers for our military, fire and police personel that are in harms way and the Lord's mercy for those that do fall and comfort to their families.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!!! Let's do it again next year. Thanks, Don, for having the patients in putting up with us, especially me. You have given many of us a lot of hours in keeping contact with old Shipmates and many new ones.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-11-27 3:36 AM (#21913 - in reply to #21909)
Master and Commander

This will be my Grand Daughter's first Thanksgiving. At two and a half months, I don't think she will remember much. (Although my Wife swears she can remember from that young.) It will be Buttermilk brined Turkey breast. Slow baked over a bed of celery and carrots with potatoes. My son is at his girlfriends house. I'm off to hunt deer till 10, then releive one of my guys so he can have lunch with his family. We'll eat late because Karlee's mom works. Don, I'm certain that between Doc, John and I we could figure how to mount that grill on the Harley, and you could enjoy the invigorating air while you haul it to your destination. 
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-27 4:26 AM (#21914 - in reply to #21909)

Master and Commander

I would just like to wish my American friends a very happy Thanksgiving's Day to you all and your families.

Blue *_*
The Brat
Posted 2008-11-27 5:56 AM (#21917 - in reply to #21909)

Crew

Wow Don, what a wonderful idea!

I’m not sure when it all started, but at some point in my life, the traditional Thanksgiving meal, became mine to prepare and I look forward to it every year. Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, yams, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and heaven help me if I forget the deviled eggs. Mom usually makes a pie; sometimes pumpkin, sometimes pecan, but I always have a back-up dessert of some sort just in case she doesn’t feel up to it either way, Dad never fails to save room for whatever I fix.

Since marrying Alan 4 years ago, I don’t get as much kitchen time as I used to because he does 90% of the cooking. (yeah, I’m spoiled!!!). However, today is my day and the kids love it because they are charged with KP duty after all meals and I am in the habit of cleaning as I go, so there is very little mess to worry about after the meal. (Alan can dirty 3 pots, 8 knives and every cooking utensil we own….. and that’s just when he is making one bologna sandwich!) LOL

This year we are adding ham to the menu, only because Alan found a great buy at $1 a lb, so he’s cooking that 25lb monster!! Oh, and that dessert I usually make….While I was watching TV last night, he made my dad’s favorite. Banana Pudding! He just can’t let me take all the glory for today’s meal. When I got up this morning, I caught him in the kitchen preparing dough for homemade dinner rolls. Okay, whatever……(.I’ll just drink my coffee and keep reminding myself I should be thankful he does all the things he does.)

Meanwhile, I’ve got #2 son (Brandon) asleep on our couch, #1 son (Collin) left at 0500 with my 16 year old daughter (Nikki), to go deer hunting. Alan’s daughter Kaleigh is still asleep in her bed and I keep watching out the window for Papa Jimmy to show up. He lives 2 hours north of here and usually arrives by sun up. He is Alan’s EX-father-in-law and we always invite him down for the holidays. Jimmy is prior Army, (Viet Nam era vet) and his only living relatives are my 2 step children; he is as much a part of our family as my dad is. So I’ll have all my kids, their grandpa’s and one of my brothers at my table this year.

Alan is done in the kitchen now and is getting ready for work. He is on call and has to make at least one patrol around the lake before coming back home for the day.
Life is good!!!! I’ve much to be thankful for and continue to count my blessings everyday.

May you all have as blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving as I will.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-11-27 6:56 AM (#21918 - in reply to #21909)

Master and Commander

Today is a day of remembering past Thanksgivings in odd spots (under the ocean and in the jungle rain) and the more traditional ones with family around the table. This year there will just be 3 of us (wife, her mum and me) plus the attack Scottie. But we're all thankful for the opportunity to sit down to a good meal, in a peaceful environment, remembering the past, enjoying the present and planning for the future. Later today our kids will call, bring us up on their activities and my grandson will remind me that the Detroit Lions are the worst football team in the NFL and possibly in history. So Don, don't apologize for them being your "hometown" team enjoy their ineptitude and creative ways to snatch defeat from out of thin air. I swear they could play themselves and both sides would lose.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my shipmates.
Doc
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-11-27 7:07 AM (#21921 - in reply to #21909)
Master and Commander

I have good health; Eileen's bladder cancer seems to under control.

My two grown sons are fine men making a positive contributuon to the world.

I have a 3 year old grand daughter with another on the way.

In short, I cannot imagine a better life.

Happy Thanksgiving to all; and, this year I will continue my tradition of wishing everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS vs. the generic happy holiday nonsense.

Edited by Thomas Courtien 2008-11-27 7:09 AM
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-11-27 7:53 AM (#21924 - in reply to #21909)

Old Salt

Subject: Remembering other Thanksgiving Days

Long ones at sea boring holes in an uncaring ocean. Sitting down with 80 other unwashed bodies to eat turkey. Actually it was prepared quite well.
I missed my family then, Now I miss those shipmates.
I am thankful for both.
Remember those that are out there somewhere serving us and our families with a little prayer for their safety
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-11-27 8:00 AM (#21925 - in reply to #21909)

Old Salt

Don I have never put onions in a turkey sammish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet.
Mine are simple, bread, butter, turkey, onion salt, pepper sometimes cranberry jelly.
Enjoy
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-11-27 8:47 AM (#21930 - in reply to #21909)

Master and Commander

I posted this last year,so this is for those who missed it.
Subject: Thanksgiving,a rite of passage

Of all the holidays,in my family,Thanksgiving was the most memorable.
It was the only one when the whole clan(Aunts,Uncles,Grammas,Grampas,Neices Nephews.Inlaws & Outlaws all congregated at the home of whitchever relative had
the biggest house with the most room.
The family was always separated into three distinct groups,the women who spent the entire day in the kitchen,the adult men who stayed in the den watching football games &drinking beer,& THE KIDS who were not by any means,allowed in either of the afore mentioned places.Even at meal time these creatures were relegated to "the kids table"
My most memorable Thanksgiving was comming home on leave after a couple of years in the Navy.I was ordered not to show up unless I wore my"sailor suit".
When I arrived at the same home inhabited by the same people as in many years before,Iwas greeted as a new person.
No longer was I directed to the "kid's room".I was invited to the "inner sanctum",
a smoke filled room where football was watched,adult subjects were discussed,and the women only entered occasionally to replenish the supply of beer & munchies.
If you ventured out of that room,you were likely to run into aunt Maggie who would ask"How do you like being in the ARMY?,or Oh look,Paul's got his WINGS".
When dinner was served,I was seated ,for the first time,at the adult table.
I had finally arrived.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-11-22 6:44 PM

-----
"Changes in latitude,Changes in attitude" Jimmy Buffet

crystal
Posted 2008-11-27 8:54 AM (#21932 - in reply to #21909)

Master and Commander

Wow let's see how this goes... First I want to thank all of you for being part of this cyberspace friendship, some of you I know in person, others only through this BBS.  It's been touch and go at times over the last 10 years of Submarine BBS's but a number of us have come together because of it - so thank you Mr. Gentry (one of those friends with whom I've shared a laugh and libation with more than once)!

I thank my blessings for a wife who even with those many medical problems is always upbeat and young for her years.  I'm thankful for our five children, five grand children and (yes) our three great grand daughters... I'm thankful to have a close friend of 48 years who is also my business partner (I'm not sorry for all the jabs Dan! LOL). 

Be healthy, be happy!

Smiley
Posted 2008-11-27 9:57 AM (#21933 - in reply to #21909)
Great Sage of the Sea

I too have much to be greatful for, especially this year. Like Crystal I am greatful for all the cyber friendships I have made and wonderful hosts like Don and Ron.
This year is the first Thanksgiving in 7 years that our oldest Son is home and not in some scum hole overseas. He is still in Virginia beach with his family and still attached to DevGru but now he is a Pilot flying the Team planes out of Oceana. ( They Call themselves The Flying Chiefs like in the 30s) He was sent to Commercial Pilot school; last October and has been flying the Team's planes since July.. This is usually a Stateside duty which is just fine with his Mom and I.. He plans on retiring in 2 years and doing what he is doing now for a privite concern.
Our Daughter is expecting her first child ( our 2nd Grandchild) in April, and our youngest Son's home improvement business is maintaining a steady flow and keeping him busy so far in these trying housing times. Wow I cringe whenever I think he almost joined the Coast Guard 3 years ago when he and his High School sweetheart broke up...Smart Boy who thinks out his decisions first before jumping...... unlike his Dad LOL.
Our health could be better but it sure could be worse that's for sure...
Dot and I are very fortunite in still having our Moms to celebrate the day with which is in a few hours at my Daughter's house.
Memories and stories of Holidays past will keep our departed loved ones present at another family gathering.
Happy Thanksgiving and Cheers

Edited by Smiley 2008-11-27 10:01 AM
subvetss
Posted 2008-11-27 10:19 AM (#21934 - in reply to #21909)
Senior Crew

My front yard on Thanksgiving day
GaryKC
Posted 2008-11-27 11:47 AM (#21935 - in reply to #21909)

COMSUBBBS

Happy Thanksgiving to All.

(Thanks2008.jpg)

(Thanksdinner2008.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Thanks2008.jpg (64KB - 637 downloads)
Attachments Thanksdinner2008.jpg (65KB - 662 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-27 3:37 PM (#21937 - in reply to #21909)
COMSUBBBS

Geeezzz Gary, that's like eating sardines and saltines on your birthday.
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-27 9:34 PM (#21944 - in reply to #21909)

Admin

What a great bucn of posts... thanks all!
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-11-27 9:47 PM (#21945 - in reply to #21909)

COMSUBBBS

Hi everyone...Happy Thanksgiving (a little late)...all the things that I could have thought of have all been spoken for...so, I will just add that I am truly grateful to be able to share my life with a wonderful man, who has put up with me for "lo" these many years and I can only hope that God will keep blessing me and I can continue to share in his life...and be allowed to know the joys of the friendships I have made here...and to share with my many other friends, the happiness of their lives, as well.

God Bless.

Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-11-28 1:41 PM (#21958 - in reply to #21909)

Master and Commander

This year the family is together and we are celebrating that my Niece has just become engaged. My other Niece in Law has finally become pregnant after many years of trying. My youngest daughter has found a job again. although temporary, she's happy to be working. It's beena good Thanksgiving and I hope all of you have a great one.
Stoops
Posted 2008-11-28 3:12 PM (#21960 - in reply to #21909)
Master and Commander

Well, I'm very thankful for all my shipmates and the tight family and brotherhood that represents. I'm thankful for our freedom and so appreciative and grateful for our heroes who have faced our enemies at great sacrifice to ensure freedom for the rest of us.....Warshot could probably have told you stories of the fellows on the boats with him that had just started their families and left the comfort and security to take on the foes knowing they may never see their families again....Good Grief, how can one not be so moved by that?

We are very fortunate to be able to speak our mind without reprisal, we can choose to succeed or fail, and we can choose our careers if we have the desire. Look at the last election....can that not say that ANYONE who wants to succeed, can? Only in America.

I'm thankful not only for the health of my family, but the knowledge that if things don't go right, we have the best medical system in the world.

I could go on and on....God has truly blessed this nation in the past and I ferverently pray He will continue to do so.

And I'm also thankful that Don and Ric (the ugly Bash bitches) don't live in Houston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Edited by Stoops 2008-11-28 3:15 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-11-29 11:22 AM (#21971 - in reply to #21909)

COMSUBBBS

Shipmates, THANKSGIVING when you live alone is an excercise in wierdness. I ordered my Turkey Dinner a week in advance from a place called Boston Market...Every rapscallion and his brother who lives by himself or herself orders his pre-fab Thanksgiving dinner from some outfit who turns out Holiday dinners assembly line style from everywhere but Jiffy Lube and Wal-Mart...I was scheduled to pick up mine at 11:30 AM....By the time I got there there was a line that ran damn near to the West Coast.....When I got up there, there was some Juan Gonzoles looking guy who asked "Whotzchurname?" I told him and he brought out this cardboard box with gravy fingerprints all over it and said "Choo areddies pays." I had....The bottom of the box was as cold as a virgin librarian....It was like a cold marble slab...I drove home...heated it up carton by carton in the microwave and sat down to celebrate my first THANKSGIVING in my paid off house. It was GREAT and after a great post dinner belch (When you live alone with no gentle civilizing feminine influence. You can belch, sing dirty Navy songs and go down for a midnight snack in your skivvies. It is the gentle civilizing influence of the culture dispensing gender that keeps men from reverting to wearing animal hides, roasting small dogs and living in trees.). I sat down and watched MIRACLE ON 34th STREET for the 1257th time....After the movie I whomped up a spiked egg nog that would have stopped a frieght train.....and took a nap. Later that night, my sister called and that boys and girls was my Thankgiving. DEX
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-29 10:01 PM (#21974 - in reply to #21971)

Master and Commander

Subject: That'll do, Dex ... won't it.

May things lighten up for you (and your charge) in the coming holidays and the new year.
And Hey!, guy ... if you can successfully warm up a Boston Market T-giving meal in the microwave, hell: you're half way to being a qualified nookie-poo and being able to disperse pixie dust in your wake.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software