Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: One of the first women to submerge in a submarine is believed to have been Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
A thing of shear beauty
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2008-11-27 8:24 AM (#21927)

Plankowner

Subject: A thing of shear beauty

This is a Shain of about 65 feet in length. I've been aboard a number Shain's and they are magnificent boats. Out shine a Chris Craft any day.

Designed by Morris Shain and Ed Monk Sr., vessel construction was begun in late 1941 by Morris Shain in his shipyard located around the 2700 block of Westlake Ave N. in Seattle, Wa. Her keel was laid and hull completed when WWII broke out. Since the vessel cabin had not been finished, and most private sales of vessels were suspended, she was stored until the war was over. Her "Airflow Trimmership" lines did not meet the requirements of war that her "Commodore Trimmership" sister, Spindrift, possessed.

Fred Dobbs of Coolidge Propeller came by the Shain yards in late 1944 and began arrangements to purchase the vessel with a special fuel allocation from the government, with the understanding that it was to test his experimental variable prop. He had the cabin finished out with many of the interior appointments that still exist today. Copro II or Copra II, as is listed in Pacific Motorboat, was reported by Pacific Motorboat to be the first yacht commissioned at the end of WWII in the Seattle area. After a time, Fred Dobbs arranged for the construction of a larger vessel with a similar hull and sold Copro II to Archie Iverson, who operated Iverson Construction Co. and who was a principle stockholder in the Ballard State Bank in Ballard, WA. After Iverson had owned the vessel for 13 - 15 years, he sold it to a man named Berkeley Lamb, who owned it for 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately, he ran across bad times financially and was forced to sell the vessel to a pair of men, one of whom was a pharmacist and the other a clinical psychologist. The vessel was purchased by Fred Cox in April, 1976, from these two men, and Bob Moore became the 5th owner in 1978, renaming the yacht Forevermore. After 25 years of dutiful service to the vessel, Bob sold her to David & Heather Ellis in September, 2003.

Sargosailor
Posted 2008-11-27 1:37 PM (#21936 - in reply to #21927)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: A thing of shear beauty

Ric,

That sailboat docked in the back is a beauty too!!!!! What do you know about it?

Sammy

Ric
Posted 2008-11-27 10:49 PM (#21946 - in reply to #21936)

Plankowner

I've seen her around. Don't remember the name. She is a staysail schooner I believe. You can see a stay running up and aft from where the fore boom meets the mast.
Gil
Posted 2008-11-28 10:06 PM (#21963 - in reply to #21927)
Master and Commander

A saw a special on public tv done by Huel Houser (sp).  A lot of these type and similar boats operated in the old days on Lake Tahoe.  At least once a year they have a major boat parade.
Flapper
Posted 2008-11-29 6:56 AM (#21964 - in reply to #21963)

Master and Commander

Subject: Here's a classic Lake Tahoe cruiser

One has to love maintaining acres of wood to keep one of these babies 'looking good', but when one is well-cared-for it is a thing of beauty!
Ric
Posted 2008-11-29 7:10 AM (#21965 - in reply to #21964)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Here's a classic Lake Tahoe cruiser

To keep a wood or glass boat looking good it takes the same work, just different types of work. I ran my own business doing yacht maintenance and repair for years. I'd rather work on a wood boats any day.

Here I am setting a plank in a 1927 "Lake Union Dream Boat" You can see the "type" here: http://www.classicyacht.org/pnw/pnwgallery2.htm

Flapper
Posted 2008-11-29 7:34 AM (#21967 - in reply to #21965)

Master and Commander

Subject: ah yes, Ric! Back before ...

... the hair loss and middle-aged spread! Jeez: you actually skinny once, weren't you?
(((Ping!)))

Edited by Flapper 2008-11-29 7:37 AM
Ric
Posted 2008-11-29 7:51 AM (#21968 - in reply to #21967)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: ah yes, Ric! Back before ...

Yes, I did have more hair but I'm wearing my old Navy Watch Cap in this photo to keep the saw dust out of my hair, (what there was of it)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software