Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "These dolphins, once you pin them on your chest, leave deep marks, right over your heart, long after the uniforms have been put away.” -- Bud F. Turner ex-MT2(SS)
Choo Choo Trains/NSR
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-11-28 8:24 AM (#21947)
Master and Commander

Subject: Choo Choo Trains/NSR

I have been watching a program about steam locomotives on TV. I was raised in Chicago in a neighborhood that didn't have trains running through them, but there were overpasses where the trains would cross so the sound of a steam train could be heard speeding by on the way to the rail yards from time to time. Chicago was a center for trains not unlike the Stock Yards or todays commercial airlines. Alot of folks were raised in areas where the steam locomotives roared through there towns. Some might recall waving to the engineers as the giants of yesteryear went by. There was a thrill associated when those smoke belching iron giants came by. Alot of men and women rode them to far off destinations to celebrate holidays, take vacations,conduct their business or begin new lives in new homes..... or to fight a war they never wanted. The wonderful, romantic iron horse began to fade from the landscape in the 60's, but remain in the memories of thousands of railroad workers and average people who saw them roaring past. A romantic time to many, especially to young boys and girls waving to the engineer as he sped along in his steel engine waving back to the delight of the kids dreaming of adventures and exotic destinations. I suppose that is one reason why model trains were so popular with youngstes back in those days. Today I wonder if they will be making a comeback due to the limited supplies of oil and clean burning coal or will some other means of power make it's way into the world.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-28 9:03 AM (#21952 - in reply to #21947)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Choo Choo Trains/NSR

Those engines were something to see for sure. My Grandmother's brother was Trainmaster for the New York Central Railroad in Buffalo, NY, he use to let me climb up into the cab of some locomotives and take a short ride in the yard. Made a lot of trips from the Round House to the hook-up. Sure didn't like it much when they open the door to the firebox. I often thought that must be like the fires of hell.
Thanks for the memory trip.
Runner485
Posted 2008-11-28 9:20 AM (#21953 - in reply to #21952)

COMSUBBBS

Many years ago while vacationing in Maine, we had the chance to ride a old time train pulled by a steam engine. It had one passenger car from the turn of the century (1900 or so) that was lovingly refinished by railroad buffs. The car had a pot bellied stove for winter warmth, (not allowed to be used due to fire regulations) it had an old time commode that used to be opened to the tracks...not allowed to be used either and an open car with bench seats that allowed people to pay less for the same ride.

The train actually pulled a loaded box car to the end of the run to some little town, up a siding unhitched the boxcar and the engine rehooked up at the other end of train to make the return trip. It was one of the highlights of our vacation.

On the same train note, my brother-in-law just took the high speed Acella train from NYC to Wilmington, DE. where I picked him up.....Between Newark, NJ &  Philly the train really hit high speeds. Cut a half hour off his normal train trip to Willmington.  
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-11-28 10:02 AM (#21954 - in reply to #21947)
Master and Commander

We have one over by Tifton at the Agirama. I haven't been there in years, but I remember it setting the grass on fire many times. Wonder what it was like when they actually ran them. Must have been heck on the dry weeds along the route. They also have a steam fired saw mill. Saw it start a few fires over the years.
whalen
Posted 2008-11-28 12:48 PM (#21957 - in reply to #21947)

Great Sage of the Sea

Not a train, but a steam engine I used to run (volunteer) at Carriage Hill Farm in Dayton OH..  It did have a neat whistle!

steam 

donmac
Posted 2008-11-28 7:15 PM (#21962 - in reply to #21947)

Senior Crew

Sorry, the old RR steam engines just cost too much to maintain.
That's why diesels replaced them in the first place.
The steam engines live on in museums, but will never return to active duty.
Just like a bunch of us old SS qualified sailors.
I know, as I am a microferroequineologist

Edited by donmac 2008-11-28 7:15 PM
John Bay
Posted 2008-11-29 12:32 PM (#21972 - in reply to #21962)
Old Salt

What gauge, Don?
Coyote
Posted 2008-12-01 8:45 PM (#22038 - in reply to #21962)

Master and Commander

donmac,

I've got a mess of old N-guage stuff you're welcome to, if that's your thing.

Coyote

Edited by Coyote 2008-12-01 8:45 PM
donmac
Posted 2008-12-01 9:25 PM (#22046 - in reply to #22038)

Senior Crew

Answers for John and Owen,
Check out this web site: http://donmac.org/CVSORME.htm
Standard guage, not narrow gauge
I started with OO scale 60 years ago, quit for college and USN
Started back with HO scale in 1979, son went N scale for a few years
Expanded and collected until a few years ago
Sold 98% and now just have camaraderie friends, as per above web site.
All I kept are some GN brass steam engines and some special classic stuff.
Fills display case on the wall .........
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-12-01 9:38 PM (#22048 - in reply to #21962)

Great Sage of the Sea

donmac - 2008-11-28 5:15 PM

Sorry, the old RR steam engines just cost too much to maintain.
That's why diesels replaced them in the first place.
The steam engines live on in museums, but will never return to active duty.
Just like a bunch of us old SS qualified sailors.
I know, as I am a microferroequineologist

I keep seeing these shows on the PBS about old steam trains that are still in service. Colorado, Yellowstone, Arizona....

There are a couple that run in the Sierra foothills near Yosemite that our family used to go ride, and the railroad museum in Sacramento fires one up every so often.

Not quite gone, but fewer and farther between than they used to be.

My Dad had a HO-gauge layout mounted on hinges at the back of the garage. Two loops, a bridge, a switch, a tunnel and mountains made of chicken wire and plaster-of-Paris. He gave the layout to my nephew a few years ago, but I still have an engine and a couple of cars in the closet. One off these days.....

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-12-02 4:12 PM (#22088 - in reply to #21947)

Master and Commander

I grew up in Cleveland. The New York Central main line from Chicago to New York City ran right along the lake, crossing the Cuyahoga river. I used to go down by the RR tracks to watch the trains go by, listen to the locomotives, smell the coal smoke. GOD! I loved every minute. In September 1955 we moved to California and it was all gone.

In 1967, in Sasebo, Japan, they were still running steam trains in and out of their marshalling yard. I remember staying overnight at a hotel, and listening to the clickety-clack, the chuffing of the puffer-bellies, and the sorrowful sound of the whistle in the night. What a way to fall asleep! Then it was back on the ship and diesel smells all the way to Vietnam.

During a trip to Russia in 1994 included a side-trip to Kharkov in the Ukraine. This journey was on Russian Rail. The passenger cars were heated with coal fired furnaces, and the smell took me back to when I was a kid standing next to the Cuyahoga River RR bridge, waiving to the engineers on those big coal fired boilers on wheels, and the clickety-clack of the steel wheels on steel rails

To this day, at night when its quiet, and I am abed dozing off, I can hear the sound of the horn on a diesel locomotive 5 miles away approaching the city, and somehow it gives me a sense of well being, of comfort, of security - sort of like coming back off of liberty to the ship knowing that my rack is waiting, welcoming me home.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-12-02 9:59 PM (#22107 - in reply to #21962)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: What's a microferroequineologist?

Sounds like a very small, wild horse studier. Studyer? Study-er?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-12-02 10:03 PM
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-12-03 9:55 PM (#22167 - in reply to #22107)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: What's a microferroequineologist?

Studies very small Iron Horses, Cora, dear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software