Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They also serve those who only stand and wait" - Eleanor Rickover, quoting Milton's "On His Blindness"
Obit Messenger results for 11/30/08.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2008-11-30 10:00 AM (#21977)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 11/30/08.

- (Daily Progress)
BENTON, Hugh Arthur, RADM, USN, Ret., 79, passed away at home Wednesday, November 12, 2008. He was born October 25, 1929, in Charlottesville, Virg-inia, to Prof. Arthur Benton and his wife Marion. He attended Lane High School, before entering the United States Naval Academy and graduating in 1952. Although his first assignment was aboard an aircraft carrier, most of his sea duty was aboard submarines and included command of USS Guardfish. Later he had command of a submarine squadron and then a submarine group. During the final two years of the Cambodian and Vietnam wars, he served as Director of Logistics and Security for the Commander-in-Chief, Pacific. He was evacuated from Saigon on the last day of United States presence. Military awards during his 29-year Navy career included the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit 3 times, and the Meritorious Service Medal. After serving as Deputy to the Chief of Navy Personnel, Hugh retired in 1981, and began a second career with Babcock and Wilcox and successor companies, establishing joint ventures in China, India, Indonesia, and Turkey. In 1991, he was assigned to manage a group of engineers and scientists working to develop containers for long-term storage of spent nuclear fuel near Las Vegas, NV. He retired a second time in 2001, and then enjoyed being an active volunteer for the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) and also for the National Park Service at Lake Mead, where he conducted safety patrols. Hugh is survived by his loving wife of 52 years, Nancy Hubbard Benton, of New Kensington, PA; two daughters, Anne Madden of Richmond, VA, and Margaret Awad of Wellesley, MA; five grandchildren; and his sister, Joanne Benton Shepherd, of Charlottesville. A memorial service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday, December 3, 2008, at the Naval Acadamy in Annapolis, Maryland. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (875 N. Randolph Street, Suite 225, Arlington, VA 22203-1977) or to the American Heart Association.

- (Honolulu Advertiser)
BIBBY, III, Lowe “Buzz”, CAPT, USN, Ret., 80, of Kailua, HI died November 5, 2008. Born in San Diego. Served as a submarine and Pearl Harbor Navy Human Resources Center commander. Father of the late Patty Bibby. Survived by wife, Mary; daughter, Kristen; son, Lowe IV; two grandchildren; brother, Charles. Service 4:30 p.m. Dec. 12 at 144 Kaimoani Way, Kailua. Aloha attire.

SOB490
Posted 2008-11-30 3:36 PM (#21984 - in reply to #21977)

Old Salt

Subject: BIBBY, III, Lowe “Buzz”, CAPT, USN, Ret.

Buzz was a Commander in OP-32 (Submarine Operations) in the late 60s while I was in OP-92 working with him on "those runs."

L.H. Buzz Bibby was undoubtedly one fine gentleman whose first priority was to get the best spook equipment out to the boats and make sure the men had the right training to operate and maintain it. It was often one-of-a-kind stuff so this training was exceedingly important -- and otherwise typically overlooked. But not when Buzz had anything to do with it.

I recall one visit with him to Sanders Associates in Nashua NH - it got rather drunk out that night and Buzz wound up doing cannonballs off Gus Schappals' diving board in his back yard, raising all sorts of ruckus to the point neighbors were turning on lights and peeking out their windows. Gus's wife finally came out and very sternly stopped the party with "Have you all completely lost your minds!!?"

A couple of weeks later back in the Pentagon, Hal Brown and I called Buzz and told him we were from the Nashua County Sheriff's Office - we had a warrant for his arrest for disturbing the peace on such-and-such a date and asked him if he recalled the incident. Buzz very contritely said "...yes..." and began to apologize profusely.

Hal got a bit bolder and said, "Well, if we have to come down to the Pentagon to serve you, you'll have to pay for our travel and expenses. But if you promise to come back up here on your own recognizance, then our trip won't be necessary." Buzz immediately gave his word as an officer and a gentleman that he would come right up that day and surrender.

Hal and I waited a few minutes, then strolled down a floor and over 2 rings to Buzz's office. CAPT Jack Prisley was there and when we asked where Buzz was, he very gravely said - "Boys, I don't know what is going on, but about a half hour ago, Buzz got a phone call and when he hung up, he had a real scared look on his face and tore directly into Admiral Beshany's office."

Truly one of those AWWs**t moments as Hal and I looked at one another and decided we better get in there and come clean. Skidding to a halt at CAPT Pat Hannifin's desk where we quickly confessed the prank, the three of us then bolted thru Admiral Beshany's door at the same time, horror written all over our faces.

Buzz and the admiral were sitting there drinking coffee. Buzz was wiping tears from his eyes from laughing aloud and Admiral Beshany looked as if he was about to blow a gasket trying to keep a stern look on his face.

Turns out Buzz recognized our voices and decided to turn the tables - which he surely did. Boy, did he! The story made the rounds to the point our boss, Admiral Gene Fluckey would ask us every so often with a big smile on his face whether we had time to take him on a field trip to Nashua. Or he might toss in asking whether we were still abusing official government telephones and Navy commanders.

Sure was great working for submariners back then who really enjoyed a good prank or two and even returned the gesture - especially the ones with stars on their collars.

Rest your oar, Buzz - you are one of the good ones who did far more than your share for "Forces Adrift!"

Edited by SOB490 2008-11-30 3:44 PM
dirty dave
Posted 2008-11-30 4:44 PM (#21985 - in reply to #21984)

Crew

Subject: RE: BIBBY, III, Lowe “Buzz”, CAPT, USN, Ret.

I also worked for Buzz Bibby when he was the force weapons officer at DEPCOMSUBLANT in New London in 62.

He selected me over ten other chiefs that applied fo the position of Force Firecontrolman.
He selected me because I made an appointment for an interview and impressed him with my knowlege of submarine firecontrol.He was one hell of an officer to work for.

Dirty Dave FTGC(SS) USN RET.

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-11-30 5:28 PM (#21986 - in reply to #21984)

Admin

Subject: RE: BIBBY, III, Lowe “Buzz”, CAPT, USN, Ret.

Great story... thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software