Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: NAUTILUS has long been touted as the first Nuclear powered submarine. In fact, she was the first nuclear powered "anything". Nothing that moves was ever propelled by nuclear power before NAUTILUS.
It's just coffee people.....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2008-12-01 8:11 AM (#22004)

Plankowner

Subject: It's just coffee people.....

This is the thread that follow this strip:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/read.cgi?id=20081201&tid=3005354

The explanation:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081003190548AA4aTrl

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
You order a Venti Cafe Americano (Espresso "watered down")with "room". Meaning room for cream and sugar which you will find at the bar. It has napkins, straws, spoons,stirrers,sugar, sweeteners, half and half,milk,etc..

You could order a venti brewed coffee with room. They usually have a couple kinds to choose from.

Or you could try a Venti Breve Latte or Cappucino. It's either a Latte or a Cappucino with steamed half and half instead of milk.

Starbucks has 3 sizes, Tall (small), Grande (Medium), Large (Venti). Then just whatever drink you want to order.
Any flavors, milks, etc. you want.
For example. I usually order a Venti Iced Quad-shot Skinny Vanilla Latte. Which means I want a large iced latte with non-fat milk, sugar-free vanilla, and 4 shots of espresso.

On some drinks they have whipped cream, if you don't want it, just order your drink and then say no whip.

1/2 caf, means half decaf, half regular.

there's alot more..... milk choices, sizes, no whip, sugar free or regular syrups, no foam, etc. etc..

If you order a frappucino, and you want to add a shot of espresso, ask for whatever size and flavor you want then say
"Affogato style". It's italian for drowned, it just means they float it on top of the frappucino.

MY RESPONSE:

IT'S JUST COFFEE PEOPLE, GET A GRIP!

Park Dallis
Posted 2008-12-01 8:29 AM (#22005 - in reply to #22004)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: It's just coffee people.....

I'll have a tall, triple shot, decaf, soy latte, thanks.
Ric
Posted 2008-12-01 8:48 AM (#22006 - in reply to #22005)

Plankowner

what's that is REAL English?
Jim M.
Posted 2008-12-01 9:26 AM (#22008 - in reply to #22006)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ric - 2008-12-01 8:48 AM

what's that is REAL English?

Flavored/colored heated water
Ric
Posted 2008-12-01 9:32 AM (#22009 - in reply to #22008)

Plankowner

There you go.... :-)
Scrivener
Posted 2008-12-01 9:48 AM (#22010 - in reply to #22004)
Senior Crew

I used to enjoy watching Frazier, where the brothers would go into a Yuppy coffee shop and place their orders. It seemed like their instructions would go on forever, requiring a “dusting” of this, a “hint” of that, and so on.

Drive up coffee stands are very big here in Alaska. Approximately four years ago, my youngest daughter started one, and it has put her through college. Dad gets his coffee for free.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-12-01 10:22 AM (#22011 - in reply to #22004)

Master and Commander

It brought to mind one of the watch reliefs coming back aft carrying 4 cups stacked in each hand of black and bitter. If you wanted a "special" you usually had to get it yourself. To this day all I can stomach is B&B, of course it's decaf now so I'm not all that holy. I wonder if they still oolie to see who makes the coffee run.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-01 10:48 AM (#22013 - in reply to #22004)
COMSUBBBS

After years on the road, coast to coast-border to border and then some, I very seldom drink coffee anymore. I used to consume gallons of it. Kept a 2 quart thermos within arms reach constantly. For some reason, when I retired I went cold turkey and really haven't missed it. Like my diet pepsi though. Consume about a 6 pack/day and for some reason I can't get my sleep adjusted. Bummer
Runner485
Posted 2008-12-01 10:49 AM (#22014 - in reply to #22004)

COMSUBBBS

Great post Ric.
I like to go to Starbucks and order a "small, black house blend" just to confuse them. They understand that I ain't gonna call a small container, a large and they know that black means I don't take milk and they fill it to the rim...

While in Seattle last year for the USSVI cruise we walked around and I tried some of the local coffee shops. I walked right by the Starbucks shops. I did enjoy Tully's (I think that's the name) alot. I do love good coffee though and always drink & buy the regular blend.
Runner485
Posted 2008-12-01 11:31 AM (#22015 - in reply to #22013)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, try the caffeine free. It works for me, tho I rarely drink more than I can a day. 
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-01 11:48 AM (#22016 - in reply to #22004)

COMSUBBBS

Personally I prefer the gardinia flavored robo Columbian embalming fluid substitute with a double shot of Old Spice. The one that makes you pee perfume for two weeks that attracts gays residing within a 12 mile radius and forms the basis for California wedding punch. DEX....Oh my God, they're coming out of the woodwork...That awful Dex....He's a gay basher.....not really, as long as they stay on their side of the stall partition, don't engage in below the stall partition secret hand gestures, "foot gone wild" doo-dah dancing...note passing....winking through stall door cracks....or overt invitations to engage in motel mattress olympics...I could care less. If I was in a scavenger hunt and had to come up with a light in the loafers guy or a lesbian....if I couldn't get Richard Simmons, Rosie O'Donnell and/or that gal who has her own TV show, phone numbers from Verizon's Gay locator, I'd hafta hang it up. I don't drink sissy coffee with those cardboard "training wheels" rings....I like coffee that'll stop a buffalo stampede, resurect the dead and knock the antlers off a bull elk. DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-12-01 12:09 PM (#22017 - in reply to #22016)

Master and Commander

I get a B&B from my local Caribou Coffee House every morning on my way to work. The young ladies who work there know me by name and always have a cheerful smile, a good joke and know that I know absolutely none of the jargon that goes along with ordering anything other than my usual "dark blend, black" which I have taught them is known as B&B.
When I had the broken leg they would bring it out to my car so I didn't have to hobble in there and I found out later I was known as the B&B guy with the busted leg. They never failed to have it ready for me. Now, I'm a customer for life. I wonder if I can teach them to put a little brandy in it on these frosty mornings?

Ric
Posted 2008-12-01 12:58 PM (#22020 - in reply to #22004)

Plankowner

Subject: Now for some Coffee 'Geek' Humor....

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

You know you've been playing too much Nethack when you refer to coffee as a potion of sleep resistance. ~Sweeney Todd Lundgren

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?

In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running. ~Jeff Bezos

Ultimate office automation - networked coffee machines.

Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.
It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
It restoreth my buzz:
It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,
I will fear no Equal:
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of The Starbucks:
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over.
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the House of Mochas forever.

C:>COFFEE.COM error. Contact programmer J. Valdez.

Coffee: The first peripheral!

Actually, this seems to be the basic need of the human heart in nearly every great crisis - a good hot cup of coffee. ~Alexander King

COFFEE.SYS Not Found: User startup disabled.

A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. ~Paul Erdos

Caffeine Allocation Error: COFFEE.SYS missing, Programmer halted.

if(pot.coffee=EMPTY) {programmer->;brain=OFF};

Docs? Oh, you mean the stuff you wipe up coffee with?

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-12-01 2:00 PM (#22026 - in reply to #22004)
Master and Commander

All I know is that black coffe spilled on the Launcher Panel did no harm.

But if the coffee that spilled had milk and sugar in it, the whole panel would light up; maybe even set off some alarms.

Land Lubber
Posted 2008-12-01 2:18 PM (#22029 - in reply to #22004)
Old Salt

I'll take a tall black coffee. It can be hot cold or my favorite lukewarm. (the jobs I worked usually required my assistance just after I had poured a cup). I don't care if the coffee is fresh or was made the day before and was thick from sitting on the burner all night. MMM MMM GOOD!!!
sTEVE
Coyote
Posted 2008-12-01 8:32 PM (#22036 - in reply to #22004)

Master and Commander

The big pot in the after battery crew's mess (when made right, with a few egg-shells in the grounds) was the best.

Coming down out of the shears with ice all over your mask and parka.... anything warm might taste good. But that coffee..was great.

Starbucks can't re-create that feeling and taste.

Regards to all who've been there and tasted that..... Coyote
Flapper
Posted 2008-12-01 9:17 PM (#22042 - in reply to #22036)

Master and Commander

Coyote, back in those days your coffee would have been USN blended and roasted - yes, Navy Supply Depots had their own roasting plants. At least in the Pacific Fleet anyway; i grew up in Oakland and can remember the aroma drifting east, on the sea breeze from the Golden Gate, from Oakland Naval Supply.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-12-01 9:57 PM (#22050 - in reply to #22036)

Great Sage of the Sea

I remember, as a junior electrician, having to make the first batch of coffee in the 30-cup WestBend on the workbench over the port reduction gear on the old Brokedragon. And there still being a couple of cups left the next morning when the on-coming section relieved, thick as molasses in the wintertime, and strong enough to dissolve paint and rust off pump motor bolts. But we never had anybody fall asleep on the midwatch in our section.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-02 2:17 AM (#22052 - in reply to #22004)
COMSUBBBS

Another use for coffee in my trucking days was to spread coffee grounds, about 5# worth, around the inside of my refer trailer to remove produce and fish odor.
Runner485
Posted 2008-12-02 4:36 AM (#22053 - in reply to #22004)

COMSUBBBS

So ya see Ric, after all that's said and done, it's not just coffee people....it's alot more than that!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-02 4:41 AM (#22054 - in reply to #22004)
COMSUBBBS

You're right, Joe. Coffee grounds work good in the flower beds and also to put nightcrawlers in when you go fishing.
Ain't these here BBS' great? Learn something new every day.
Ric
Posted 2008-12-02 7:45 AM (#22060 - in reply to #22053)

Plankowner

I wasn't talking about "coffee people" I was talking about "coffee, people"... I quit drinking coffee ten years ago. It was impossible to get a good cup any more. Even Navy coffee was better than the swill served now IMO.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-12-02 4:36 PM (#22089 - in reply to #22054)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2008-12-02 11:41 AM

You're right, Joe. Coffee grounds work good in the flower beds and also to put nightcrawlers in when you go fishing.
Ain't these here BBS' great? Learn something new every day.

It's a known fact! Nightcrawlers grown in a bed with coffee grounds WILL NOT DIE WHEN PUT ON A HOOK! They will not stop wriggling when submerged in water, and will continue to attract fish long after a normal worm would drown. Worms grown in coffee grounds have been known to survive multiple fish strikes - that is - they have the ability to attract fish after fish after fish to strike the same bait, with no ill effects. It is quite possible to go on a weekend fishing trip with just one "coffee grounds grown" worm, and be able to return it to the worm bed on Sunday night, after having caught a whole stringer of Northern Muskies.
It's a known fact!
Flapper
Posted 2008-12-02 5:02 PM (#22092 - in reply to #22089)

Master and Commander

Subject: Put on the hip boots, boys, and ...

... start bailing! It's getting deep in here!
whalen
Posted 2008-12-02 5:04 PM (#22093 - in reply to #22089)

Great Sage of the Sea

No kidding Jon?

Gee, how big WERE those fish?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software