Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!” -- James Michener
Sons of San Juaquin
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-12-02 11:57 PM (#22111)

Admin

Subject: Sons of San Juaquin

I wonder how the "Sons" are doing.  I find myself missing Gary "Cowboy" McLaughlin's trivia question contests - the prize for which was a CD of the Sons.  I won one that was posted on Ron Martini's board many years ago and that's how I got introduced to the Sons.  I wonder how many CD's Gary generously gave away because he loved those guys and their music.

If you were fortunate to have attended the Bash at the Ranch, you heard some excellent "cowboy music" (not at all related to "country music" and also heard the Sons doing a rendition of Tommy Cox's "Big Black Submarine" in amazing harmony, especially given that the guys worked it up just minutes before their performance.  I clearly remember Gary standing just off to the side of the stage during the performance... just smiling bigger than S**t at each song that came our way... I remember Steamboat in the audiance beaming... guess that music hits home to a gloriously bearded horseman that wears the Grey.

Just a nice memory that crossed my mind...

http://www.thesons.com/

Ric
Posted 2008-12-03 12:06 AM (#22112 - in reply to #22111)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Sons of San Juaquin

I remember that night. It was magic. Denisse and I really enjoyed the music and sing a longs.

Gary was a class act. I miss him too. I look at the "Cowboys Last Kiss" photo Patti Lynn sent all 3 of us all framed up every day. hard to believe he is gone.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-12-03 12:42 AM (#22113 - in reply to #22111)
Master and Commander

While I used to love to ping on the Quartermanster, I had his permission. He put up with a lot from me, until I called th Sons of San Juaquin, the Sons of San Wacky. I have a copy of all their CD's available at the time, plus one signed and addressed to me. Cowboy felt I needed an education in good music.
TSpoon
Posted 2008-12-03 8:12 AM (#22125 - in reply to #22111)
Great Sage of the Sea

Don, Remember when the Sons sang "Charlie and the Boys" right after they introduced my granddaughter Briana who is a great, great, great, great, great grand niece of Charles Goodnight? We wre sitting with Steamboat and as they introduced her I got up and walked back to where Cowboy was standing with the bigest s**t eating grin on his face and totally full of pride for me having brought Briana. He gave me one of those big bear hugs of his and almost squashed my ribs, LOL. I had told Cowboy about Brianas relationship and he begged me to bring her. It was my small token of thanks to him.

I found out later that the Hannahs had gone to school with my cousin in Visalia and they are still good friends. I will ask him about them.

Also, Briana left for Air Force boot camp the monday before Thanksgiving. I will post one of those boot camp pictures of her as soon as I get it. I akseed her why the Ait Force and she said, "The Marines and Army are getting shot at, you guys will not let me be on Submarines, so why not?" She is going into the Intelligence field of sorts.

T.Spoon, DBF

steamboat
Posted 2008-12-03 10:29 AM (#22130 - in reply to #22111)
Master and Commander

AAAAh. the Bash! Magic is not an adaquate word to describe that time. There otta be a way to recreate that experience. I don't think that a National Convention could do it, too structured. Maybe at a state park with cabins or a lodge, or other outdoor setting where we could choose accomadations that suit our varied budgets. Somewhere in the center of the country so nobody would have to travel 3000 miles. Maybe close to a museum boat that welcomes subvets.
Something to think about, anyhow?
Thanks for restoking the old memory banks, Don.
Steamboat sends
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-12-03 11:52 AM (#22135 - in reply to #22112)

COMSUBBBS

I'm so glad that I made that photo up for you guys. I look at it too everyday...it's on my frig with all the other photos in my "Rogue's Gallery"...the side of my frig is getting very crowded, but I wouldn't have it any other way...and for all of you here...it was no big deal
to do this...so, I will share it.

I miss him, too...and seeing that picture just reminds how very sweet a man he was.

Edited by miss lumpy bumps 2008-12-03 11:53 AM

(The Bash Girls.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments The Bash Girls.JPG (77KB - 585 downloads)
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-12-03 12:19 PM (#22137 - in reply to #22130)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sons of San Joaquin

Just to let everyone know, Sue McLaughlin has moved out of Ozark MO. She bought a house in Washougal, Washington, just a few miles north of the Columbia River. The place is so new, it's not on Mapquest or Google Earth yet. Anyway, she's slowly unpacking (for the second time in three years) and is slowly settling in. I talked to her early last week. She says she's doing fine and when they get cable installed in her neighborhood she will be getting online. She's in a spot where the landline phone lines aren't connected yet, neither is the cable, and the nearest cell phone site is on the other side of the hill. She has to drive a few blocks to make a phone call.
Land Lubber
Posted 2008-12-03 2:43 PM (#22149 - in reply to #22111)
Old Salt

Are these the guys?

http://www.thesons.com/
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-12-03 3:50 PM (#22153 - in reply to #22149)

Old Salt

Land Lubber - 2008-12-03 1:43 PMAre these the guys?http://www.thesons.com/

Yep!
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-12-03 5:33 PM (#22160 - in reply to #22125)

Admin

I do remember that, Tim... very well!  Looking forward to the photo... here she was then:

(BashTSpoonAndBriana[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BashTSpoonAndBriana[1].jpg (56KB - 561 downloads)
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-12-03 9:46 PM (#22166 - in reply to #22149)

Great Sage of the Sea

Them's the ones.

Anybody coming to town for the Fan Club Dinner or the Christmas Concert?

I went to high school with Lon, we sat side-by-side in the trombone section for two years.

Good folks, the whole bunch.
TSpoon
Posted 2008-12-03 10:48 PM (#22168 - in reply to #22111)
Great Sage of the Sea

Don, where did you attend high school? Also, did you know a John Garner then? He is my cousin and went to school with them too.

T.Spoon, DBF
crystal
Posted 2008-12-04 6:44 AM (#22172 - in reply to #22111)

Master and Commander

Subject: Cowboy etal

Don, this is one of the last photos I have of Cowboy (you and I).  Don't forget that when you Bash Bitches were sleeping in, it was Gary and I who had to get up early, fill the red mule with hay and feed the horses.  I must have several hundred pix of the Bash (much better than this in quality, most of them are posted on-line somewhere (another website?)...

(contest2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments contest2.JPG (26KB - 581 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2008-12-04 4:25 PM (#22182 - in reply to #22172)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Cowboy etal

Looks like the Horse & Cow.

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-12-04 5:28 PM (#22186 - in reply to #22172)

Admin

Subject: RE: Cowboy etal

Yep Ric, Horse and Cow... the full with Jim Foote and Danny Hagar

(HorseAndCow.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HorseAndCow.bmp (544KB - 570 downloads)
Jim M.
Posted 2008-12-05 5:27 AM (#22197 - in reply to #22111)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Cowboy

Though I only knew Gary via the internet and telephone calls, I designed the website he used for his business. After a while, we built up a sort of a friendship and I always enjoyed talking to him.

He did me the greatest honour by inviting me to the Bash at the Ranch.. but I felt it not proper for me, an NQP, to be there..amongst all of you who served.

Gary, I miss you.
Ric
Posted 2008-12-05 5:58 AM (#22198 - in reply to #22197)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Cowboy

Well, I would have not had a problem with you being there. I've known you since the CAUSS days in 1996 or so. Don Merigan had me sign your cyber qual card at the at the CAUSS get together in '97 in Mobile. Plus I've met you at Torsk work parties.
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-12-05 2:10 PM (#22208 - in reply to #22111)

Senior Crew

Here's one of Cowboy the weekend he got "Qual'd", this is after said event at 40 School St....

Billy Bob

(Gary-Lary.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Gary-Lary.jpg (22KB - 568 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2008-12-05 4:53 PM (#22216 - in reply to #22208)
Master and Commander

Amazing how Ya'll had to skrunch in real tight to keep from using a wide angle lens for that shot, Billy Bob. LOL
Yeh, I too miss all the pings about QuarterMANsters and clean fingernails. The Cowboy was a class act, indeed. He left a million friends down here. Do ya reckon he's got Zeke to keep him company?
Steamboat sends
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-12-05 5:30 PM (#22219 - in reply to #22216)

Senior Crew

What?!?!? Large MANSTER jokes???? Of course us Weaponeers had to be of a large stature, we had to move the missiles and torpedos by had, all we had was hemp and block 'n tackle...don't believe me, ask DEX, he's older 'n me and he had to pick them up by hand, they didn't have block 'n tackle back in his day...

Billy Bob (the slender one)
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-12-05 5:49 PM (#22220 - in reply to #22208)

COMSUBBBS

John Garry and I were there that day...and I remember the look on Gary's face when he got his qual cert...and the big smile that was
plastered all over his face "ALL DAY"!!!

Thanks for the wonderful memory, Billy Bob!!!
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-12-05 6:54 PM (#22222 - in reply to #22198)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Cowboy

Ric - 2008-12-05 5:58 AM

Well, I would have not had a problem with you being there. I've known you since the CAUSS days in 1996 or so. Don Merigan had me sign your cyber qual card at the at the CAUSS get together in '97 in Mobile. Plus I've met you at Torsk work parties.

Don Merrigan, there's a name I haven't seen for awhile. Anyone know how he's doing? I finally got to meet him at the Blueback Museum opening.

BB
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-12-05 9:47 PM (#22224 - in reply to #22168)

Great Sage of the Sea

Tim, I graduated from Redwood High, class of 1972. Lon was class of 1974.

The name John Garner sounds familiar, but I can't find him in any of my yearbooks.
Was he a classmate of ours, or of Jack and Joe, Lon's uncle and dad?
Bill Linne
Posted 2008-12-06 10:19 AM (#22242 - in reply to #22111)

Senior Crew

First time I heard the Sons was in Gary's living room on a Sunday morning with breakfast.  Been hooked since!  And of course, he gave me a couple CD's to take home.

Lord, I really miss the Cowpoke!!

Bill
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-12-06 10:30 AM (#22243 - in reply to #22111)

Old Salt

In our lives we are privildged to meet and become shipmates with a few special people
Cowboy was one of those
I miss ya Big Time Pard.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software