Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Service” -- Rudyard Kipling, The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915
Question.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2008-12-06 6:35 PM (#22276)

Plankowner

Subject: Question.

I was looking at some old photos and asked myself;"When did the Navy institute a mandatory retirement age for sailors?" Some of the guys in these photos look to be in their 60's or older.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-07 2:28 AM (#22285 - in reply to #22276)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Question.

You know how it is with a bunch of old washed up Chief's. They'd just sit around and BS and drink coffee all day and nothing would get done. Then again, that's about all Chief's do all day anyway no matter what the age.
crystal
Posted 2008-12-07 8:08 AM (#22298 - in reply to #22276)

Master and Commander

Nice try Ralphy, this from the guy who's career ends up at E6 after what, 32 years trying to figure out what an MM had to do (too many bubbles in the blood stream after all that diving)  LOL

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-07 4:14 PM (#22323 - in reply to #22276)
COMSUBBBS

I know you live in a dream world, Johnny, constantly wishing in one hand and crapping in the other. I made E-6 in 6 years and departed Uncle Sam's Canoe Club after 7 1/2 years. In order to make E-7 I would of had to re-enlist. Would have done it if Bupers would have worked with me. Trucked for 30+ years and now retired.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-12-07 4:15 PM
crystal
Posted 2008-12-07 5:01 PM (#22324 - in reply to #22276)

Master and Commander

Well, it was the diesel fumes after all Ralph! 

Now we've still got to find an answer for Hedman before I forget the thread - mandatory age?  Hmmm, I'm still working for the Navy at 67 - -  or are we just talking the canoe club aspects of same?

Ric
Posted 2008-12-07 5:03 PM (#22325 - in reply to #22324)

Plankowner

I'm talking active duty gentlemen. Stop and consider, could you still be on active duty doing your jobs at this age?
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-12-08 5:27 AM (#22339 - in reply to #22325)

Old Salt

Considering the work I do now I dont see why not.
Still skinny enough and strong enough to go outboard and pull a Jimmy head and piston.
Ill leave the 32 turn inboard exhaust valve spining to the young bucks tho.
crystal
Posted 2008-12-08 5:39 AM (#22340 - in reply to #22276)

Master and Commander

Well, I was trained as a marine electrician from 1960 on, I was working as same on a carrier and two submarines within the last couple of years, and I'm still doing electrical work, none of which has to do with middle management and the like, so I would say yes I can do the same job now that I was doing at Subase Pearl Harbor almost 29 years ago when I retired.  As far as the mandatory age thing, I have no clue, we have active duty officers way up there in age, most enlisted get/got out at around 30 years when they were working for 25% of the pay (would get 75% upon retirement)... 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software