Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Among the 'first' that Electric Boat Division has introduced into American submarines, have been the marine Diesel engine, the perfected use of the storage battery, the combination of battery and internal combustion engine, and the world's first adaptation of nuclear energy to propulsion in the USS NAUTILUS.
An Observation
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2008-12-07 8:21 AM (#22299)

Master and Commander

Subject: An Observation

About 33 years ago while I was stationed with Harbor Clearance Unit #1 at Pearl Harbor (when I was a lowly 1st class Ralphy), we were asked by the National Park Service to aide in an update survey of the USS Arizona's physical condition.  Even this lowly individual had his chance in the water (totally off limits otherwise).  This was strictly a hands off, by grid, photographic, blah blah, time consuming activity. The one moment that I will remember 'till the day I die is when I saw the Arizona's "tears" from underwater - it was quite the experience.  These are the drops of oil from her bunkers that still come to the surface after 67 years now.  Seeing them from the memorial is quite overpowering, but watching them climb to the surface from an underwater prespective is a moment in time never to be forgotten.  Us old guys have some good memories...

Edited by crystal 2008-12-07 8:21 AM
Ric
Posted 2008-12-07 8:42 AM (#22302 - in reply to #22299)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: An Observation

Thanks for sharing that with us John.

Ric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software