Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjoā€¯ -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
Another "Why you should always wear your Dolphins" story
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2008-12-07 3:38 PM (#22320)
Plankowner

Subject: Another "Why you should always wear your Dolphins" story

Colleen and I wen't to Bob Evans for dinner this evening; as we were being seated the guy in the booth across from us pointed to my large brass Dolphin belt buckel and asked "Were you on submarines?" (I guess he could see it because I was standing up and he was sitting down) When I said "Yes" he said "Thanks!" Seems like one day in August of 1966 he was trying to nurse a shot-up airplane back to his carrier in the Gulf of Tonkin when his luck ran out. After they 'went-in' they were able to get into a raft... him, his co-pilot and the door gunner; the mechanic was already dead. They were out of sight of land and doubted anyone knew where they were. After several days drifting in the sun they were rapidadly loosing hope when all of a sudden a periscope popped up... after a couple of seconds it went away. It was one of those "did I really see that"moments. After several minutes the same thing happened again, but from another direction... and then it was gone. Convinced they hadn't been seen, they were accepting their fate when all of a sudden this 'huge black thing' popped up right next to them. They had no way of knowing if it was "one of ours, or one of thiers" until a hatch popped open, and a sailor asked in English "Want a ride?" "They had us aboard, hurried us below, hatch shut and were submerged before we could realize what was happening." He saiys they were treated like honored guests their entire time aboard.
He says the boat's name was "USS Jackson (SSBN 626)". I asked if it was the "Andrew Jackson?" and he said that didn't sound right, but he was pretty sure of the hull number... that would have made the boat the Daniel Webster... he says "not the one."
He says he has looked in veteran magaziens over the years to see if he could spot a reunion for the boat that rescued them but never found one. Says he would really like to contact that boat/crew to say "thanks for saving my life"
Here is what we know for sure... it was a 'boomer' on the way home from patrol, crossing through the Gulf of Tonkin, in August 1966.
If this sounds familiar, please let me know. I have his phone number and he asked me to contact him if we get a bite.
Thanks guys...
Ric
Posted 2008-12-07 3:44 PM (#22321 - in reply to #22320)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Another "Why you should always wear your Dolphins" story

Maybe Stonewall Jackson though the hull number 634. Call him up and ask if that sounds right.
Coyote
Posted 2008-12-07 8:11 PM (#22335 - in reply to #22320)

Master and Commander

That's a real puzzler....

SSBN626 was making runs out of Rota at that time, and I can't imagine an FBM in the Tonkin Gulf anyway.

USS Jack hadn't yet been commissioned (sounds alike).

I'll bet it was one of the diesel boats or early nukes patrolling in the area.

Regards, Coyote

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-08 7:52 AM (#22343 - in reply to #22320)

COMSUBBBS

What really matters is (a) it was a U.S. boat and (b) The man recognized Ken's Dolphins and was truly greatful.....What a terrific story no matter what boat. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been to have spent a couple of days bobbing around in a location where nobody would look for you and being rescued by a submarine and welcomed aboard by her crew. Thanks Ken....Great stuff....FEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software