Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
Remember we only had each other
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-08 7:44 AM (#22342)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Remember we only had each other

When things go bad on surface ships, there's all sorts of support...other ships, helo assistance....air drop capability...real physicians, surgeons and a ship full of emergency storage and equipment....When things get bad at 300 feet and below, submariners only have each other and a hundred feet to work out their salvation. DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-12-08 7:56 AM (#22344 - in reply to #22342)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Remember we only had each other

dex armstrong - 2008-12-08 8:44 AM

When things go bad on surface ships, there's all sorts of support...other ships, helo assistance....air drop capability...real physicians, surgeons and a ship full of emergency storage and equipment....When things get bad at 300 feet and below, submariners only have each other and a hundred feet to work out their salvation. DEX

Dex: You mean me and the Beegle Doc weren't real? I knew all that time submerged was just a dream.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-08 8:33 AM (#22347 - in reply to #22342)

COMSUBBBS

Not at all Doc....What I intended to say is that we didn't have a surgical theater or a physician who attended medical school, graduated and did an internship to establish his residency....We had extremely dedicated men, such as yourself, the Beagle Doc and Doc Rohre, an independent duty corpsman aboard REQUIN who saved my life. In no way was that meant to denegrate any of you quack pill pushing rascals....Like I was saying, when the chips were down all we had was each other, and that included you bastards. If it wasn't inside the pressure hull when crunch time came...you either invented it. jury-rigged it or in the case of you corpsmen devised a remedial solution, came up with a surgical hootenany life saving procedure or resorted to shaking dried beans in a turtle shell rattle......When I used the term, we only had each other....you were part of that...you and the Beagle Doc made Hogan's Alley housecalls. DEX
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-12-08 9:06 AM (#22349 - in reply to #22342)

Old Salt

We did only have each other. I miss being with shipmates that would save your butt on the beach or at sea. And ping on you for being a dope to have gotten youself in such a situation in the first place.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-12-08 10:42 AM (#22350 - in reply to #22347)

Master and Commander

Subject: Just pinging

I think our surgical "suite" was the wardroom table and the O.R. light was a battle lantern with a working battery or 25 Zippo's from the Goatlocker. When I try to tell non-boatsailors some of the things we did to keep you bandits upright and taking nourishment I often get the "deer in the headlights" look. Good thing the PI lawyers never caught us.
Thanks for the memories
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-08 1:24 PM (#22367 - in reply to #22342)

COMSUBBBS

Back in 1960 or 61, we had a messcook who cut hell out of his hand on one of those canned ham cans you opened with a key...and when you opened the damn things they left a a raw edge as sharp as a Gillette blade. Nasty cut...Don't remember if it was Doc Rohre or the Beagle Doc but I was going through the Mess Deck and got pressed into service with another After Battery animal to hold the guys arm flat on the mess table while Doc sewed the palm of the kid's hand back together, making tiny stitches that only a true professional medic could make....I remember thinking how damn proud I was of having a fellow with that level of qualification riding my sewer pipe. No...My hats off to the guys who ran their practice out of an aluminum locker in Hogan's Alley....DEX
docbeeghly
Posted 2008-12-08 6:35 PM (#22382 - in reply to #22342)
Senior Crew

I'm sure that was Doc Rohre, before I came aboard, Doc Rohre probably used Novacain to deaden the pain, I'd probably have made him drink lots of medicinal Brandy so we wouldn't care about the pain.
The Beagle doc.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-12-08 6:54 PM (#22384 - in reply to #22342)

Great Sage of the Sea

The sailor on our boat that had the greatest impression on me was 'Daring Doc Dalzell' (FMF, SS.) Made me want to be a better shipmate.

BB
Smiley
Posted 2008-12-10 6:37 AM (#22434 - in reply to #22342)
Great Sage of the Sea

My first Patrol we had a MD aboard.. I think it was one of the last to do so.. Funny thing was he was planning on going into OBGYN where he interned in a Chicago Hospital.. He was more valualable to us as a story teller than he was as a doctor
Stoops
Posted 2008-12-10 12:14 PM (#22439 - in reply to #22434)
Master and Commander

I think a number of years ago I ran across a web page that was set up by an MD who was ex-submariner...your post about an OBGYN triggered the memory.....Now I'll have to do some digging!

Also brings up memories from the Blue Kangaroo at the Schooner.....They had a lot of OBGYN jokes, thanks to the nurses that used to frequent the place!....Obgyn....spreaders of old wive's tails.....had a hard day at the orifice, etc......

Edited by Stoops 2008-12-10 12:14 PM
Buc1369
Posted 2008-12-10 1:04 PM (#22441 - in reply to #22439)
Crew

Stoops, I know of a similiar or maybe the same website
The web page was set up by the USS SNOOK SSN592 commissioning medical officer
LT William McMicken
steamboat
Posted 2008-12-10 1:22 PM (#22442 - in reply to #22382)
Master and Commander

"'d probably have made him drink lots of medicinal Brandy so WE wouldn't care about the pain. "
Now wait a minite Doc, just who was doing the drinking here... the patient (victum) or the Doc?
Steamboat sends
BTW, are you dug out and all boarded up yet and ready for the next blow??
Stoops
Posted 2008-12-10 1:30 PM (#22443 - in reply to #22441)
Master and Commander

Buc1369 - 2008-12-10 1:04 PM

Stoops, I know of a similiar or maybe the same website
The web page was set up by the USS SNOOK SSN592 commissioning medical officer
LT William McMicken

yup----you were right:

http://members.tripod.com/~FamilyDoc/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread