Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKIPJACK was the first submarine designed from the keel up for top underwater performance using nuclear power. An earlier SKIPJACK was the first U.S. submarine to cross the Atlantic ocean under her own power (Newport, Rhode Island to Ponta Delgada, Azores, in 1917).
Anybody using Presto.com with their family?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Stoops
Posted 2008-12-11 3:23 PM (#22478)
Master and Commander

Subject: Anybody using Presto.com with their family?

Gave this to my mother-in-law last Christmas. She doesn't want anything to do with computers (not that she isn't savvy enough to learn how to use them, she's just obstinate!!!!!!!!) Anyway, HP and Presto teamed together and HP makes the printer and Presto offers the service (one must have both and the printer will not work with any other hardware.) Printers can be had from a number of different places but run from $30 to $100 on where you choose to buy it. Presto service offers a monthly or annual plan (a bit cheaper).

This is totally Spam free...no one can send her email unless they are pre=approved and that is the only tedium involved, but the system will also print a page of cards that have an authorization code so that she can pass them out to her friends and they will be asked for the code on the card when they send her the first email. and I can ask to have more of those cards printed anytime she starts to run low. (the registration number on the card is unique for each card and therefore each prospective correspondent. Or, she can provide me the name and email of someone and I can add it from my computer.

We set up the printer here in Houston when she visited at Christmas and then mailed it to her home in NY when she left here. All she had to do was plug it into the phone line and the AC outlet and she was ready to go. The printer dials in at specified times (up to 5 per day) and downloads and prints email and pictures. All she has to do is be able to add paper or change the ink cartridge. Takes one of two standard HP ink cartridges.

I heard about it on the radio initially but it has really been neat. I think the annual subscription rate is $150 but I think you can get it for $100 a year. We are going to renew the subscription for her this year.

It's been great to be able to include her on emails, or mail pictures to her. Also I can tell when she is out of paper and how full her cartridge is.

There's other features available and you can find out more about it at www.presto.com

So if you know someone that would like to get email and doesn't want to be bothered with a computer, this is a reasonable way of doing that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software