Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
T'was the day After Christmas, ...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-12-25 8:54 PM (#22887)

Master and Commander

Subject: T'was the day After Christmas, ...

Happy Birthday DEX!

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-26 4:32 AM (#22889 - in reply to #22887)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: T'was the day After Christmas, ...

Dex? Brithday? No wonder the old phart was singing the praises of "Bob The Enzyte Guy" and admiring the effects of the blue pills.
Happy Birthday, Dex. Soon you'll be as old as Ator, spelled backwards, Rota.
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-12-26 5:58 AM (#22890 - in reply to #22889)

Master and Commander

Geeeez Ralph,rocks don't live that long!
Besides,then we'd have to call him GNORTSMRA and I can't pronounce it!
Happy Birthday, you old coot!
DOG
Corabelle
Posted 2008-12-26 5:24 PM (#22908 - in reply to #22887)

COMSUBBBS

You were a Christmas baby?

WOW!

Did you ever get to celebrate your birthday? Or was it always a combined celebration?

Happy, happy birthday baby. (One of my favorite songs.)

Cora

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-27 7:32 AM (#22915 - in reply to #22887)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Corabelle...As a child I never had a birthday

I was born 26 December 1940....By the time I was out of three-cornered pants, I didn't really understand the concept of having a father...My Dad was serving in the parachute infantry in Europe...I was seven when he turned up one day....He arrived with a Chevrolet sedan that had a real army helmet (the inside smelled like Vitalis hair tonic), he had a real 45 pistol and an M1A1 carbine with a folding stock....parachute infantry issued leg tie down trench knife...a musette bag...a map case with a lot of carefully folded maps marked with hastely drawn grease pencil markings. and he was wearing his dress canvas with a pair of jump wings with little bronze stars representing jumps into Sicily, Anzio, Normandy and Holland...and a pair of jump boots. He also had enough ammo to have supplied a company. He spent far to much time petting and patting my best pal...Mother. He slept with my Mom and if I called out..."Mommy can I have a glass of water." You know, the standard kid con to get attention...he would yell, "Goddammit, pipe down and go to sleep." I didn't like him very much, because he was bossy and had a bad habit of telling jokes when we would be out driving, and slapping me on the fleshy part of my upper thigh with his picnic ham size hands and it hurt like hell. He once gave me $5 to take my cousin outside after dinner, when Tooky made an uncalled for comment to my Mother. He said,"Son here's five dollars...it's yours if you take that little bastard outside after dinner and beat the living hell out of him and I'll throw in another buck, if he comes in crying with a bloody nose." I bought a Tom Mix cap gun with my "beat the hell out of Tooky money". He was tough as nails. His idea of humor was to give me one sock on Christmas and one sock the next day...gloves and mittens, same way...I got my Boy Scout uniform Shirt, Christmas...pants, hat, and neckerchief next day....Most Christmas presents were tagged MERRY CHRISTMAS-HAPPY BIRTHDAY....Never had Birthday Parties...I went to other kids birthday parties and got to watch them open presents and I got to eat cake, ice cream and play pin the tail on the donkey. My Mother explained that I never had birthdays because all my little pals and playmates were out of town, visiting grandmother or taking a vacation trip....In 1961 I was riding REQUIN and Rat Johnson, our cook baked me a cake...stuck 21 Marlboros in it for candles...(we were running at 412 feet and I had the 12-4's...so the Below Decks Watch busted me out at midnight...The Alley was filled with unshaven unwashed animals singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY and when they stopped...John T. O'neil a First Class Engineman poured me a half cup of Hiram Walker Ten-High and handed me a chit signed by the Exec allowing me to skip my watch for the next two rotations...Had my first two legal drinks running deep somewhere north od Iceland. I got gipped out of a lot celebrations...but the kindness shown here on Gentry's magic carpet ride has made this a really good one. Years ago, Don sent SOLVEIG a cup with her name on it...and her nickname THE METRIC BUILT BLONDE printed below her name. She used it during her terminal uillness....and after she died. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it...Losinhg it tore my heart out. Then several months later, I was vacuuming up downstairs, I found it on the floor next to the recliner chair, she was sitting in when I picked her up in my arms when I drove her to the hospital where she died the next day...It still had what was left of the apple juice I had given her when I went for her robe to take her to the emergency room. To me, that cup is like the Holy Grail....Last night I put her picture on the coffee table and poured a stiff shot of Makers Mark in her Gentry cup. Corabelle, I hope that answers your question. Thanks for giving a damn. DEX
Ric
Posted 2008-12-27 8:01 AM (#22916 - in reply to #22915)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Corabelle...As a child I never had a birthday

(whispers)

Happy Birthday Dex
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-27 4:12 PM (#22934 - in reply to #22887)

COMSUBBBS

Ric, There's compensation. If you never had that as a part of your life, you never missed it. As a little older lad (age nine) my Mother died and I got packed off to military schools and never got to go home for holidays...I was one of what we called "the stay behinds"...We drew names and gave each other presents that couldn't cost over three dollars and the day after Christmas was just another day. Never really thought about birthdays...they were just things other kids had...like other people went to temples, Masonic meetings....the Moose...VFW...American Legion...NACCP gatherings....stock car races....the Grand Ole Opry....and donkey roasts. I never thought it about, it just was a fact of life. DEX
Ric
Posted 2008-12-27 4:16 PM (#22935 - in reply to #22934)

Plankowner

Dex, I basically grew up with my grandfather. He was alone and Mom thought it was a good idea. Two room shack, wood stove, outhouse. My folks were divorced but still saw Dad until he died when I was 9, Grandpa died when I was 10, Mom died when I was 11. I know some of this story.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-27 4:17 PM (#22936 - in reply to #22887)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ric, I was trying to respond to Corabelle's question

Ric...I just wanted Corabelle to turn the heat back on out here in her doghouse...I'm tired of having to take a hammer to bust up the ice in my water dish and blow torch my ALPO to thaw it out....Her parakeet froze to death and penguins are skating around in her birdbath. Please call her...I can't dial the phone...frostbitten fingers. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-27 4:40 PM (#22938 - in reply to #22887)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ric, I'm not out soliciting sympathy

I'm just trying to answer the question posed by Corabelle....and I was doing my damndest to thank the wonderful folks who were kind enough to remember the day. I have learned that no matter what happens in life, somebody had it rougher....you accidentally chain saw your leg in half and you wake up in the recovery room next to some guy who tells you about how you don't have it as bad as his Uncle Bill who had his arm, both legs and his left ear chewed off by wolves while he was dog sledding from Whitehorse to Dawson bringing desperately needed serum to save the children. The question was, something related to how folks with back-to-back Christmases and birthdays do it...I thought it was directed to me....I didn't grow up in a two room shack with an outhouse and lose my entire family in the span of three years....Never really considered my childhood anywhere near that tough and if I implied anything near that painful, I can assure you it was not intended. My birthday was something beyond anyones control...it was a roll of the dice predicated on poor intercourse timing. I was trying to present an explanation by representing the facts....not start a, I had it tougher than you rescitation of all the tough times I had as a kid....mine were mostly unpleasant inconveniences compared to yours and many others posting here. Just trying to shuffle the memory deck for Corabelle and poke a couple of frogs past her bloomer elastic....Since we've buried our hatchets, sewn up our blankets and stopped passing each other rattlesnakes, I enjoy slipping an ocasional bullfrog down the back of her undies...When you get to be a short putt away from Holland Club membership, cyber bloomer frog distribution becomes one of life's harmless, simple pleasures. DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-12-27 10:27 PM (#22946 - in reply to #22938)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Ric, I'm not out soliciting sympathy

Happy Birthday Dex. We're better because you're here. Thank you.

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-12-27 11:22 PM (#22949 - in reply to #22887)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks for the kind words, Blackbeard.....Unfortunately, I still have to stay out of China Shops....and have lost my Solveig and her Victoria Secrets catalog subscription ran out and the blow-up doll Ray Stone gave me has all the oooh-la-la undies she needs and a lifetime NRA membership...so until some little old lonely lady with a waffle iron, who likes John Wayne movies shows up at the front door with a nightie and tooth brush...I'm pretty much fixed....With my luck Mike Hemming, Jonny Krup and John Wynn, will show up with sheep and three cases of Rolling Rock. Happy New Year, Blackbeard and again..Thanks for the most kind and appreciated words....Could you get in touch with Corabelle and get her to turn on the heat out here in her doghouse...It's damn cold and tell her that the bloody bullfrog I was going to poke down the back of her bloomers froze to death and I had to cook him and eat him.....but I just bought a Texas Horny Toad from Doc Beeghly fully trained in bloomer jumping and bottom biting. Doc is sending him in his own electric blanket....DEX
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-12-28 2:26 AM (#22954 - in reply to #22915)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Corabelle...As a child I never had a birthday

dex armstrong - 2008-12-27 10:32 AM

I was born 26 December 1940....

That's the same day and year as my brother in law; he used to tell similar stories about birthday parties and the lack there of. Happy Birthday you old coot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software