Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The United States submarine USS TRITON was fitted with twin reactors and was considered the longest submarine ever built until the advent of the OHIO class. The TRITON was designed for a surface displacement of 5,900 tons. Large submarines of other countries have been the Japanese I-400 (5,220 tons), and the French SURCOUF (2,880 tons).
A Question For All!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2009-01-13 5:41 PM (#23538)

Master and Commander

Subject: A Question For All!

The other day our National USSVI Commander (Pat Householder) and I were talking about the "lost boats tolling"... Long and short of it is that I am looking at producing a CD/DVD of all the lost boats (both 52 and 65, depending on which format the individual base or? wishes to follow)... These discs will have boat pictures, patches, battle flags, crew photo (whatever) of each boat with my reading of the boats including the double bell ring after each.  It is also planned to have some "quiet background music", i.e "Eternal Father" etal behind my reading of the boats. 

Bottom line question; do you diverse and arguementative subvets think that this is something worth putting together?  If so, I will first screen the result(s) through Mr. Householder for his definitive feedback to all of us (no holds barred)... This message is just to get the feeling of "Y'ALL"...

Edited by crystal 2009-01-13 5:50 PM
crystal
Posted 2009-01-13 5:50 PM (#23539 - in reply to #23538)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: A Question For All!

Also, this will most likely be followed by a "like kind" Missing (Submarine) Sailor" table setting, disc with appropriate pictures and reading as mentioned before... You USSVI members, check with your base members 

(we stay busy out here on the Olympic Peninsula)

Ric
Posted 2009-01-13 10:32 PM (#23545 - in reply to #23538)

Plankowner

Why don't you make on for ALL 53 boats lost during declared war. Everyone keeps forgetting the USS F-1 was lost on 17-Dec-1917. She deserves to be listed as much as R-12 does who floundered off Key West.

I think it is a good idea.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-14 5:50 AM (#23549 - in reply to #23538)
COMSUBBBS

At our USS Sennet SS-408 All Hands Reunion we do our Memorial Service a little different. We respect the boats lost whatever the number, however, our Memorial Service is not for the Boats but for those that rode them all. We prefer to remember all Submariners that have departed on Eternal Patrol whether they went down with the Boat or were washed over the side, sufficated in the pump room or got slammed into something during an accident such as what happened to Shipmate Ashley.
Just since our last Reunion in May of 2007, the Sennet has had 30+ Shipmates, that we know of, depart on Eternal Patrol. I'm sure that every other DB has about the same numbers and the Nukes have had their share also. This is why we conduct our Memorial Service the way we do, remembering every departed Submariner.
We use the poem found on the USSVI Eternal Patrol page.

I have one consolation that lives with me today.
That God is near to them, in his own special way.
So God in all Your mercy, keep near Thyself the soul,
Of every Submariner, still on his final patrol.

Lord, this departed shipmate with Dolphins on his chest
is part of an outfit known as the best.
Make him welcome and take him by the hand.
You'll find without a doubt he was the best in all the land.

So, heavenly Father add his name to the roll
of our departed shipmates still on patrol.
Let them know that we who survive
will always keep their memories alive.

And

There is a port of no return where ships may ride at anchor for a little space. And then some starless night the cable slips leaving only an eddy at the mooring place. Gulls veer no longer, Sailor rest your oar. No tangled Wreckage will be washed ashore.

This gives a very moving ceremony and appears to be appreciated.
Runner485
Posted 2009-01-14 6:33 AM (#23551 - in reply to #23549)

COMSUBBBS

At our Sirago reunions we toll our lost Sirago shipmates, who went on Eternal Patrol since our previous reunion, or someone who passed on whom we were not notified about. It's getting so that more and more of our shipmates are dieing within this 2 year period, (when we have our reunions) and it's sad to think that our numbers are dwindling faster each year.

After we toll our shipmates we have a bugler play taps. At our last reunion in Mobile, we had a piper on the fantail of the USS Alabama play Amazing Grace. It was a fine tribute to those that had departed this life. And we are in the process of determining what we should do this year. Taps or Amazing Grace....maybe even both of them...

crystal
Posted 2009-01-14 8:17 AM (#23553 - in reply to #23538)

Master and Commander

So far your feedback doesn't lean toward doing this project and I can see your individual points.  I think "individual" is the key word here, you all seem to do things differently. 

A "Tolling of the Boats" has always been just that.  It all started with the 52 lost during WWII as this is an off shoot of our WWII subvets tradition to begin with.  They, the WWII subvets, were actually tolling the submarine and those crew that (may have) lost their lives aboard on that specific date in time.  I might not agree with tolling for a boat where all the crew were rescued but that was how it was set up originally and how it had been done for years, think tradition here, as in "perpetuating the memory" etc. etc.. 

Since this all started many changes have been tried (whether good or bad).  USSVI now counts 65 lost boats.  Some ceremonies add an extra bell for ALL losses (U.S., Russian, Turkish, Swiss?)... Ric would make it 53 boats to include WWI, others may want to include all others who were killed in the line of duty such as young Ashley.  These are all good ideas but how far do we go?  We can't include the pals that were killed in a car accident coming back to the boat drunk, nor the Seaman that caused his own demise by working outboard of the rams where he should not have been. 

I think it's great for the individual boats at their reunions to "do their own thing" such as which of their crew are no longer with them.  That's important on a local and more personal, gut level of the individual boats.

I'm trying (not to successfully) to figure out what might be useful to all of us (collectively) at a convention or in our own living room. 

Thanks for the input guys, I do listen (most often)!  LOL

SOB490
Posted 2009-01-14 8:38 AM (#23555 - in reply to #23538)

Old Salt

Why do I have the feeling someone just stomped on a hornet's nest?

Every year, PAMPANITO hosts a reunion for the ever-dwindling WWII crew - At their request, starting this year the program has been moved from November (commissioning month) to Memorial Day weekend - which is when we also traditionally sponsor a Lost Boat Ceremony. We are looking at how to do this without creating any hard feelings. Our older brothers definitely have some very firm opinions on the subject.

I'm of the basic opinion "When in Rome ..." But as Ric has already asked, in essence, why should we treat a lost boat from one era differently? Jim Christley went to some length to apply the Navy's definition with several criteria attached. But when we asked our SVWWII brothers to conduct Memorial Day Ceremony for us in 2008, they used 52 boats and 3,505 men.

Then I've seen rather heated discussions in the recent past on the BBSs that some shipmates feel if there was no loss of human life, then it isn't a "lost boat" -- i.e. the grounding on the Great Barrier Reef and subsequent destruction by friendly gunfire as just one example.

That argument was quickly countered by STICKLEBACK where the boat was lost but nobody from STICKLEBACK perished, even though there were men lost from the other boat that came to STICKLEBACK's assistance. Except the STICKLEBACK incident occurred after WWII.

THANKS TO RIC: A bit of confusion though. Stickleback was lost by ramming in 1958 with no loss of life. I think Cochino and Tusk in 1949 are what you are thinking about and the seven men lost, one civilian off Cochino and six crew off Tusk during the rescue. Correct you are, Ric! Thanks, yet another one of those old fart moments I guess ... While we are on corrections -- the boat with a battery explosion at Hunters Point in the late 50s -- DIODON? POMODON? Anyone remember? EMC(SS) and duty officer killed as I recall ...

Then we have the battery explosion in the shipyard that killed two (I think) shipmates? Is that a toll of the bell?

Then come THRESHER and SCORPION - well after WWII and at least in THRESHER's case, we are certain her loss was not at the hands of an enemy's act of war. Do these boats rate a bell?

And then a current era brother lost overboard and another died after his boat hit a seamound. Ditto the question.

And so it goes.

So I'd say if it is a SVWWII function (and those occasions are rapidly coming to an end) those brothers should use their own official ceremony. If it is a USSVI function, then I believe that particular official ceremony should be used.

In any case, the key point is that we are indeed perpetuating the memory and we need to do so with dignity and respect.

So, John, I think your project is a GREAT idea. Folks can use whatever they choose.

Edited by SOB490 2009-01-15 6:15 AM
crystal
Posted 2009-01-14 10:46 AM (#23558 - in reply to #23538)

Master and Commander

Thanks for the input Bill, you've identified some of the problems that I face... For all: keep in mind a couple of other points, (1) that this will be a new venue, i.e. sight and sound on digital - quite like what some of you saw on the 2007 USSVI cruise with our DBF presentation. (2) that after this year the WWII subvets will share our conventions, no longer having a separate one of their own.  They will be cared for by USSVI... So in this case, which direction do we go with this type of a program?
Ric
Posted 2009-01-14 11:42 AM (#23561 - in reply to #23555)

Plankowner

All good points, Bill. A bit of confusion though. Stickleback was lost by ramming in 1958 with no loss of life. I think Cochino and Tusk in 1949 are what you are thinking about and the seven men lost, one civilian off Cochino and six crew off Tusk during the rescue. But, yes, there are many ways of looking at tollings.

SVWWII do 52 because that is their war and those were their brothers in arms who they remember as well as the boats.

My opinion, based on USSVI creed,: "To perpetuate the memory of our shipmates who gave their lives in the pursuit of duties while serving their country. That their dedication, deeds and supreme sacrifice be a constant source of motivation toward greater accomplishments. Pledge loyalty and patriotism to the United States of America and its Constitution." includes all US Submariners regardless of time frame. And truth be known, after Jim Christley brought it to the fore, there are 53 submarines lost during war. The only loss the service suffered in WW I happened in Dec 1917 after the US entered WW I. The USS F-1 was sunk by being rammed by a sister ship and 19 lost their lives, being the first US submarine causalities in war. There were two other losses in WW I, one man washed overboard from L-10 and one lost as an observer on an English sub. That is what the extra bell at the tolling is for, the losses of individual men from boats. Of course this is really all about the men, the boats just happened to be carrying them. But as seen by the list of names, http://www.pigboats.com/lostcrew/losses.html , it would take a long time to read all the names, Hours would be needed, so as an expedient we toll the boats to include the crew lost . As it is, we all know how long it takes to respectfully honor each boat during a full tolling ceremony.

As has been pointed out, this discussion can go on with out end. We have arrived at a general consensus, (not total), of how we as individual bases handle the event. I think that is not too bad. Not everyone can be pleased, not even myself, but I accept how we do it because the important thing is we are remembering those who have given and are still giving lives serving this country.

.....my 7 cents.... (inflation you know)

BlackBeard
Posted 2009-01-14 11:55 AM (#23562 - in reply to #23538)

Great Sage of the Sea

What a quandary! I feel the ceremony should be performed live whenever possible. However I would buy it because I live in BFE with no USSVI base nearby.
As far as the other issue -- I believe the WWI, WWII, Thresher, and Scorpion should be tolled and then one toll for all the other Submariners lost while on duty.
Well, you _did_ ask for an opinion.

BB
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-01-14 12:19 PM (#23563 - in reply to #23538)

Great Sage of the Sea

Having read 'all of the above', I have no argument with the points raised. I just want to toss another nickel in the pot. I assume that sooner or later this digital format will become available. When it is available, I'd like to see it placed in public school libraries for their edification. When used in the context of education on real history would be of significant use. IMHO Think outside of the box...

Edited by Roy Ator 2009-01-14 12:20 PM
PatH
Posted 2009-01-14 1:05 PM (#23565 - in reply to #23538)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Tolling The Boats (or Bells)

It is the primary mission of USSVI to

"To perpetuate the memory of our shipmates who gave their lives in the pursuit of duties while serving their country." 

We do this through annual public tolling ceremonies of all the boats (this is important so that the local community is made aware of their sacrifice), plus monthly tollings at our meetings.  USSVI also supports the various submarine memorials around the country.  The cameraderie is important to us all, but it really is the tool that helps us to work together to see that these brave men are never forgotten.  If we subvets do not care enough to do so, who will?

It is fitting that the chapters of SVWWII use their 52 boat Tolling script, because that is what SVWWII is all about.

It is also fitting that all bases of USSVI use the 65 boat USSVI tolling script (found in the USSVI Policy and Procedures Manual which is a derivation of the SVWWII program but enhanced to include all the lost USN boats. ( We always at this junction get into some sort of food fight over what constitutes a 'lost boat.')

If you visit www.ussvi.org and  click the LOST BOATS button, you will see a presentation by month of all 65 USN submarines lost since 1900.  (Check out the buttons on the left side of each lost boat page as well.)

The criteria that USSVI uses is clearly explained in the PPM, and is the one clearly explained by Jim Christley at http://www.oldsubsplace.com/Introduction.htm

Introduction to Lost Boat List.

The criteria for what constituted a loss is generally straight forward.  It included:

1.  Submarines lost at sea by enemy action with or without personnel loss.

2.  Submarines lost by stranding and foundering with or without personnel loss

3.  Submarines lost at sea by collision with personnel loss

4.  Submarines lost for unknown reasons.

5.  Submarines lost due to material or operational causes with or without personnel loss.

6.  Submarines lost due to scuttling.

The period for actions for which a lost submarine could be listed in this (USN) report was the that of the U.S. declared involvement in WW II, 7 December 1941 to 15 August 1945.  The portion of WW II from September 1939 to December 1941 was not included even though we lost several ships including one submarine during this period.  The list only accounts submarines that were lost while under US flag during the stated period. Using the criteria above and expanding the time to cover the entire history of our submarine force, a corrected total for our submarine losses may be obtained.

1.  Total Losses in Wartime

The two declared wars in the 20th century were World Wars I and II. World War I period of US involvement was from August 1917 to November 1918.   The USS F-1 (SS-20) was lost on 17 December 1917, during World War I, by collision at sea (Criteria 3). This boat's loss plus those lost during WW II bring the total of submarines lost by our submarine force in wartime to 53. These are:

USS F-1 (SS-20), USS S-26 (SS-131),USS Shark (SS-174),USS Grunion (SS-216), USS Argonaut (SS-166), USS Amberjack (SS-219), USS Grampus (SS-207), USS Triton (SS-201), USS Pickerel (SS-177), USS R-12 (SS-89), USS Runner (SS-275),,USS Pompano (SS-181), USS Grayling (SS-209), USS Cisco (SS-290), USS Wahoo (SS-238), USS Dorado (SS-248), USS Corvina (SS-226), USS Capelin (SS-289), USS Scorpion (SS-278),  USS Grayback (SS-208), USS Trout (SS-202), USS Gudgeon (SS-211), USS Herring (SS-233), USS S-28 (SS-133), USS Golet (SS-361), USS Growler (SS-215), USS Robalo (SS-273), USS Harder (SS-257), USS Escolar (SS-294), USS Shark (SS-314), USS Seawolf (SS-197), USS Albacore (SS-218), USS Scamp (SS-277), USS Barbel (SS-316), USS Swordfish (SS-193), USS Kete (SS-369), USS Trigger (SS-237), USS Snook (SS-279), USS Lagarto (SS-371), USS Bonefish (SS-223),  USS Bullhead (SS-332), USS Sealion (SS-195), USS Perch (SS-176), USS Grenadier (SS-210), USS S-44 (SS-155), USS Sculpin (SS-191), USS Tullibee (SS-284), USS Flier (SS-250), USS Tang (SS-306), USS S-36 (SS-141), USS S-27 (SS-132), USS S-39 (SS-144), and USS Darter (SS-227).

2.  Losses in Peacetime

The portions of the 20th century not included in WWI and WWII are considered, for the purposes of this discussion, peacetime.  This is a point of semantics and it will be argued by participants and historians for many decades to come.  During these peacetime periods we lost no more due to enemy action (Criteria 1). 

By stranding and foundering (Criteria 2), we lost USS H-1 (SS-28). 

3.  By collision (Criteria 3) we lost USS O-5 (SS-66), USS S-51 (SS-162), USS S-4 (SS-109) and USS Stickleback (SS-415).

4.  Losses for unknown reasons  (Criteria 4)  we lost USS O-9 (SS-70), and USS Scorpion (SSN-589). 

5.  Due to material or operational causes (Criteria 5) we lost USS F-4 (SS-21), USS S-5 (SS-110), USS Squalus (SS192), USS Cochino (SS-345) and USS Thresher (SSN-593)

6.  We lost no more boats under Criteria 6.

It is possible, however, that one other catastrophic loss might occur that should be remembered and listed.  The USS A-7 had a fire onboard that killed the entire crew.  The boat was not lost and, in fact, it continued in service. 

In addition, we as a Force have lost many shipmates as a result of enemy action, accident or as it has been called “the hazards of the sea”.  These men are listed separately from the boat losses here (http://www.oldsubsplace.com/Individual%20and%20group.htm).

There are indeed other criteria that could be used to count a loss.  One could count those submarines which by action of the enemy or by accident became "constructive total losses" and add Salmon, Nathaniel Greene, Bonefish and others. However, those boats and others like them were brought home by their crews and the decommissioned alongside with appropriate ceremony.  The decision that the boats structure would be repaired or discarded was made not by the sea, enemy or others of those things beyond our control, but by a considered process with the boat in port and the remainder of the crew safely ashore.

A case could be made for inclusion of S-48 and Guitarro and others which sank but were quickly salvaged and returned to service. To modify the existing criteria to that extent is not necessarily useful either.

USSVI currently has several DVD presentations of the Lost boats available with suitable musical accompaniment.  It is important to remember that the hulls are no more than 'tombstones' for the men who gave up their lives.  Make no mistake, the ceremony is all about the men, and not the boats.  In our USSVI ceremony, we always toll an additional time to remember those submarine men lost in service but where the boat was not lost, totaling 66 tolls of the bell.

Additional accurate DVD presentations of this important ceremony are always welcome.

crystal
Posted 2009-01-15 4:35 PM (#23596 - in reply to #23538)

Master and Commander

I guess I got it wrong Pat (an age thing)... I hadn't realized that USSVI already had this material in place on a DVD(s) and I definitely do not want to work on anything that would presumably step on anyones toes... Let me know if there is anything else in the future that I can be of help with... 

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-01-16 10:11 PM (#23636 - in reply to #23538)

Great Sage of the Sea

Perhaps you could review the existing USSVI CDs/DVDs, and see if some of the "enhancements" you originally suggested might be appropriate and/or beneficial. That way you don't have to "reinvent the wheel".

Such a presentation might, indeed, be a useful educational or promotional tool.

And if such an enhanced presentation became available for sale, a portion of the proceeds might go to the USSV-CF.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software