Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The submarine was not generally recognized as a legitimate instrument of warfare until the Civil War.
Unknown Submariners
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Land Lubber
Posted 2009-01-15 2:39 PM (#23591)
Old Salt

Subject: Unknown Submariners

I was surfing the web the other day and came upon a site that lists all the submarines and crews lost. It also has a page that containes incidents where the name of the person who was killed is unknown. Do any of you guys know anything about these incidents? Here is the link.

http://www.oldsubsplace.com/nonamelist.html

Thnks, Steve

Edited by Land Lubber 2009-01-15 2:42 PM
Ric
Posted 2009-01-15 3:16 PM (#23593 - in reply to #23591)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Unknown Submariners

Jim has done an excellent bit of research in coming up with the names that he has. I've spent some time gathering data from the National Archives and know how frustrating it is. How incomplete some records are. Things I would assume would be logical to maintain haven't. Things I would like to have are deck logs and such but all the records kept are what is known as the "smooth logs", what the Yo typed up and the CO signed. The others are discarded. That out of 4000 names this is all that there is a question over I think is pretty good.

To see a chronological list of names go to:

http://www.pigboats.com/lostcrew/losses.html
viejo
Posted 2009-01-15 3:38 PM (#23594 - in reply to #23591)

Senior Crew

If any of you know of any shipmate that went down with his ship and has a marker or memorial stone somewhere, please let me know and send pictures and info if you can. I have been putting the ones I can find up on the sub memorials map up on the USSVI pages. So far I have about 4 or 5 is all and we know there were over 3000 so I am sure many more have had something placed to let people remember them. Most I have found so far have been memorial stones at Arlington or a private cemetery. I had one guy write me about Lt. Sweet from the Scorpion being on a plaque. so I put him up also. Just had someone send me some info on another Scorpion shipmate. I can think of no other thing that can show our creed more than placing pictures and info on the internet so all can remember them.
Thanks and thanks to people like Jim, Paul Wittmer, and Ric who spend so much of their time so we can read and learn about them. Another great site is http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/contact.htm done by Charles Hinman out at the USS Bowfin Park.
Viejo
PaulR
Posted 2009-01-17 6:27 AM (#23641 - in reply to #23591)

Master and Commander

Land Lubber - 2009-01-15 5:39 PMI was surfing the web the other day and came upon a site that lists all the submarines and crews lost. It also has a page that containes incidents where the name of the person who was killed is unknown. Do any of you guys know anything about these incidents? Here is the link.http://www.oldsubsplace.com/nonamelist.htmlThnks, Steve

Here's one that I am very familiar with, and researched about a year ago.  When I was done, I had made contact with his alma mater, his widow, his brother and talked with the wife of one of his sons.  Several of the PIPER crew as well as Jim Mandelblatt were very helpful in providing information that led me to complete my project.

Jimmy "Crash" Evans authored an article in the American Submariner some time back about this, and even though we (Sea Robin) were in transit with PIPER, I never heard of it until the late 90's.  It had largely been forgotten about.

As it turned out JOE NEGRI was COB of PIPER at that time and figured into the details of the incident.

Sailor, Rest Your Oar.

Edited by PaulR 2009-01-17 6:57 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software