Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy
Got burned on my credit card NSR
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-18 6:38 AM (#23670)

Master and Commander

Subject: Got burned on my credit card NSR

I just got off the phone with my bank after having my credit card "turned down" yesterday while at a restaurant with my wife. They informed me that somebody had used my information to buy cell phones in Egypt and when the transaction popped up they immediately put a hold on the account to block any further transactions. I'm glad they did that and I will not be responsible for the $118.00 that was charged; I can only imagine what the charges would have been had they crooks been able to start racking up international phone charges and other big ticket purchases. Thank you National City Bank for your vigilence.
My question is: do any of you have experience with any of the credit protection services like that guy who posts his SS#?
It may be time for me to take extra precautions against identity theft.
John Bay
Posted 2009-01-18 6:50 AM (#23671 - in reply to #23670)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Got burned on my credit card NSR

Deer Doktor Fred

Tank yoo for the fried camel dinner we had yesterday at Abdul Hassim Tuts Bistro in Cairo! You were gud to pay for it!

Allah Akbar!

With repect and yur information, Hassam
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-01-18 7:08 AM (#23673 - in reply to #23670)

Great Sage of the Sea

My belief is that personal vigilance is the key to protection. I personally have little faith in trusting a third party to do it for me. I use two different credit cards routinely. They call me occasionally on usage that appears questionable. They pay me rebates on purchases. I pay zero interest as I zero out the balance monthly. Works for me. Good luck!
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-18 7:18 AM (#23674 - in reply to #23673)

Master and Commander

Roy: I do the same and frequently check the transactions via my on-line banking account; as recently as last night when we got home there was nothing posted that shouldn't have been there; fortunately for me the bank stopped the transactions before they hit my account. Just checking to see if further protection is worth the money; I can't afford to have my new toy repo'd.
Doc
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-18 7:20 AM (#23675 - in reply to #23671)

Master and Commander

John Bay - 2009-01-18 9:50 AM

Deer Doktor Fred

Tank yoo for the fried camel dinner we had yesterday at Abdul Hassim Tuts Bistro in Cairo! You were gud to pay for it!

Allah Akbar!

With repect and yur information, Hassam

Hassam; you camel dung eating POS;
may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your skivvies and may all your girlfriends have the aroma of my jungle boots the day I left RVN.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-18 7:28 AM (#23676 - in reply to #23670)
COMSUBBBS

Doc. That is one reason why I don't trust this online banking, debit cards, etc., too many people having access to my accounts. I know it will eventually come, but, I'm waiting until I'm forced into it. Maybe by then there will be better safeguards in place. I do use one credit card and have canceled all the others i had. During my trucking years I had 26 different credit cards and carried very little cash. Still have very little cash.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-01-18 7:34 AM (#23678 - in reply to #23674)

Master and Commander

Doc, since you checked before eating out and the account was OK you might look at your most recent credit card usage as a clue to who stole the number.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-01-18 7:46 AM (#23679 - in reply to #23670)
Master and Commander

Now the jungle boots thing is cruel, even for you. My Brother still holds that eternal vigilance is the price of using credit cards. The services aren't what they are cracked up to be. He considers them a waste of money. Check twice daily, and have the fraud nember handy is his motto. The other brother still won't use plastic because he dealt with fraud on computers for too many years.
Runner485
Posted 2009-01-18 7:56 AM (#23680 - in reply to #23676)

COMSUBBBS

Doc,
I have one card and it is all I use to make purchases and I zero out my account every month. I use it on line also to make purchase's. While I am leery about it, I feel somewhat better if the url address starts with HTTP(S). as long as the S is added to http it indicates a secure, encrypted site.

Two of the easiest places to have your card and pin stolen is at a gas station and Lowes or Home Depot. They use RF signaling to get your card info from the pumps or cash registers to their servers. Home Depot and Lowes use the cheapest type of security available when they purchase a system. It comes with the system. Instead of upgrading to a WPA2 128 bit encryption which is free, but costs time to do it....So it probably is not someone looking over your shoulder stealing your card info. It's safer to sit in a car and pull this info out of the air...

When I connected my Linksys Wireless router up the first thing I did was upgrade to the higher grade of protection. I do feel that my home computer is protected and fairly secure.
Ric
Posted 2009-01-18 8:42 AM (#23681 - in reply to #23670)

Plankowner

I paid off my last card last year and cut it up into little pieces after I canceled the account. Actually I am pretty debt free, just space rental for the mobile, insurance, gas, food, phone, PUD bill. I pulled most of my money out of the market when the market started to tank. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but I'm not the bluntest either. I question all strange charges to my accounts and I also prescan all my email on the server before allowing any down onto my computer. I do not use "popular" computer protections, they are the most hacked and besides they sometimes dump their own spyware onto your machine. I use my Linux machine for a lot of secure things I do over the net. I still get burned from time to time but a lot is avoided too.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-01-18 11:54 AM (#23684 - in reply to #23670)

Master and Commander

My bank only calls me when they see charges from "Magie's Mansion of Carnal Pleasure".they say it MUST be someone else because,according to their records, I'm too damn old to ues their services.
chiefjoe
Posted 2009-01-21 12:46 PM (#23736 - in reply to #23670)
Senior Crew

Doc:

My financial adviser (and ex marine, but I would trust him with my life) recommend that service 3 years ago. He had had problems and that solved it from then forward.

I know he his involved in enough transactions to expose him to all sort of possibilities.

That said, I must admit, having had no problems I have not taken his advise.

The extent of my knowledge, little that it be.

Joe P
chiefjoe
Posted 2009-01-21 12:48 PM (#23737 - in reply to #23736)
Senior Crew

Please allow me to retract my term "ex marine" and restate it as "MARINE VET"

OOPS,

Joe P
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-21 2:57 PM (#23742 - in reply to #23737)

Master and Commander

chiefjoe - 2009-01-21 3:48 PM

Please allow me to retract my term "ex marine" and restate it as "MARINE VET"

OOPS,

Joe P

Thank you Joe; no such thing as an "ex Marine" unless he was drummed out.
Semper Fi
Thanks for the info on LifeLock, also. I'm still evaluating if I need it but this event has made me even more cautious about how I use my credit card
Doc
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-01-22 2:16 AM (#23755 - in reply to #23670)
Master and Commander

I was always told Lee Harvey Oswald was to be referred to as an x-Marine. One of the few that served.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-22 4:19 AM (#23758 - in reply to #23755)

Master and Commander

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2009-01-22 5:16 AM

I was always told Lee Harvey Oswald was to be referred to as an x-Marine. One of the few that served.

As usual; you are correct. From what I have always been told any Marine who was dishonorably discharged or was convicted of a dastardly felony, or in Oswald's case, presumed to have assassinated the President was an ex-Marine. It's all kind of fuzzy and I don't believe there are any regulations about how to refer to those who have served in the Corps; more tradition than anything else. My old DI at FMF school told me the only ex-Marines were in jail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software