Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.
Photo Search Needed
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2009-02-03 10:09 AM (#24055)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Photo Search Needed

WOOYFF,

Which One Of You Fine Folks has the best copy of this image? Please search through your drives, hard, soft, flash, floppy, etc. and see if you have one that's better than I can find online. Thanks.

(subs1968.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments subs1968.jpg (71KB - 670 downloads)
AtoZ
Posted 2009-02-03 10:56 AM (#24056 - in reply to #24055)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Photo Search Needed

I don't know of a better copy. But if you see that phone booth at the head of the pier, I remember back in nineteen ought fifty something there was this chief talking on the phone when Toro's bullnose came thru the back of the booth. Well you shoulda seen that chief jump. Set some sorta world broad jump record as he almost made it to the upper base.
Flapper
Posted 2009-02-03 2:17 PM (#24062 - in reply to #24056)

Master and Commander

AtoZ - 2009-02-03 11:56 AMI don't know of a better copy. But if you see that phone booth at the head of the pier, I remember back in nineteen ought fifty something there was this chief talking on the phone when Toro's bullnose came thru the back of the booth. Well you shoulda seen that chief jump. Set some sorta world broad jump record as he almost made it to the upper base.

LMAO! Also the photo reminds me of the parking slots; from 'inboard' to 'outboard' they were reserved for CO, then XO, etc. When I went to BESS in 63 they were still talking about the boat coming in under helm of trainee OOD he backed down too little, too late and the bow really sliced into the dock, rode up, and the bullnose came down on the hood of the CO's car!

Can you imagine the insurance claim?
Describe the accident in detail: My car was parked on Naval Submarine Base New London, Groton CT, when the front end was damaged by an out-of-control Navy submarine.
Ric
Posted 2009-02-03 3:37 PM (#24063 - in reply to #24062)

Plankowner

I remember hearing that in 64 when I was there. I think it was Redfish or Redfin.
PaulR
Posted 2009-02-03 5:05 PM (#24064 - in reply to #24056)

Master and Commander

Every boat on the River with a fleet bow has laid claim to that event.

I had a discussion with Jack Jarvies several years ago and he claimed one of his boats (USS Bang) was the one.
He served in the wardroom in 56-57.

Edited by PaulR 2009-02-03 5:21 PM
GaryKC
Posted 2009-02-03 8:22 PM (#24066 - in reply to #24055)

COMSUBBBS

This is taken from an email I received last year.

Another exciting time was when making a landing at the Sub Base Piers (we usually moored at Pier 10 in Groton) the starboard screw fell off its shaft during a hard backing down maneuver.  I was First LT on deck at the time and we all went down in a horizontal position holding onto the holes in the deck when we hit the sea wall bending the bow somewhat like a paper clip.  I yelled to a lady walking toward us to run (she did) just before we hit the wall at the end of the slip.  An Ensign from a nearby submarine dashed over to present us with the "worst landing plaque" - a local custom, and our Capt almost threw the fellow overboard from the bridge.

Sid Harrison
Posted 2009-02-04 1:29 AM (#24068 - in reply to #24055)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Big Daddy Runs Down a Phone Booth

Boats of the 8-Ball Sqd

-----------------------------------------------------
Truth or fiction?
Neither.
Its NTINS.......

Big Daddy Runs Down a Phone Booth

PaulR
Posted 2009-02-04 6:22 AM (#24070 - in reply to #24068)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Big Daddy Runs Down a Phone Booth

Some CS1(SS) who had stayed in for theday was in the booth on the phone. Hears something, turns and looks. Jaysus,the damm bullnose right against his phone booth window, he drops the phoneand dives headfirst out of the booth.

If the boat involved really had a fleet bow, then it was not GROUPER.  She lost hers in Mare Island in 1951.
Runner485
Posted 2009-02-04 8:16 AM (#24071 - in reply to #24055)

COMSUBBBS

Looking at the photo, one of the boats has the big sonar nose in the bow, reminds me that in '63 Sirago made a Med trip and was accompanied by the Piper, which also had one of those big noses...Just 46 years ago. How did I remember that??; 
PaulR
Posted 2009-02-04 8:38 AM (#24072 - in reply to #24071)

Master and Commander

Runner485 - 2009-02-04 11:16 AMLooking at the photo, one of the boats has the big sonar nose in the bow, reminds me that in '63 Sirago made a Med trip and was accompanied by the Piper, which also had one of those big noses...Just 46 years ago. How did I remember that??; 

Close.

The ID I have is, from left to right:

USS Sea Robin (SS 407), USS Tusk (SS 426),USS Sea Owl (SS 405),USS Sablefish (SS 303)

USSHalfbeak (SS 352),USSBlenny (SS 324),USS Becuna (SS 319)

GaryKC
Posted 2009-02-06 4:26 PM (#24119 - in reply to #24055)

COMSUBBBS

My thanks go to a new friend, John Hummel, who was kind in sending me a 3MB copy.

(1968Tusk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1968Tusk.jpg (72KB - 673 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software