Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Records for enemy shipping sunk by U.S. submarines during World War II are held by two boats built by Electric Boat. The USS FLASHER sank 100,231 tons of Japanese shipping, while the USS TAUTOG holds the record for the most ships - 26.
'Nother question:
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2009-02-09 6:30 PM (#24160)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: 'Nother question:

Does anyone know what the letters IDTRC stand for?

I've been going through my husband's old Military Records and after he enlisted on
8 April, 1947, he was IDTRC in San Antonio, Texas. I'm assuming that this represents basic training, but what is the literal meaning of these letters?

And how long would this (Basic ?) training have been back then?

Cam's military training has made me curious about his grandfather's military training.

Joe made Pfc. five months after enlistment; Cpl. four months after that, and Sgt. seven months after making Cpl. He was still only eighteen years old when he made Sgt. He served twenty more months and didn't make another rank, which may be one of the reasons why he didn't re-enlist.

A long time ago. Brought back some bittersweet memories. I'm sure his children and grandchildren will be interested in this part of our family history.

Cora
Ric
Posted 2009-02-09 6:45 PM (#24161 - in reply to #24160)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: 'Nother question:

IDTRC = Indoctrination Division, Air Training Command, San Antonio, Texas, later to become Lackland Air Force Base. (This was a Army Air Corp training base before the Air Force was invented.)

Read here: http://afehri.maxwell.af.mil/Documents/pdf/wsimon.pdf
Corabelle
Posted 2009-02-09 10:41 PM (#24163 - in reply to #24161)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks, Ric. I'm ging to print all that out and put it in with his records. It's interesting to me, and I know will also be interesting to his daughter and son, and four grandchildren. Joe only knew his first two grandchildren; Cam & Kyle were born after he died.

Thanks again,

Cora

Oh, hey. I looked just like the picture on my posts when I met Joe. That's why he never made a higher rank. We met right after he made Sgt., and I'm sure his thoughts were diverted from his military sojourn.

Ah, yes.

Edited by Corabelle 2009-02-09 10:44 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-02-10 2:32 AM (#24168 - in reply to #24163)
COMSUBBBS

Keyword being "diverted". You sly fox!
Corabelle
Posted 2009-02-11 7:03 PM (#24217 - in reply to #24168)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ric -

I ried to print out that IDTRC information that you put up, and it won't print out.

Why not?

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software